Using cheap XYZ stages for subject mounting?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jmc

Using cheap XYZ stages for subject mounting?

Post by jmc »

I'm starting to think about making a photomacrography rig, and would like some advice on XYZ stages for subject positioning please.

While I'm a huge fan of Thorlabs equipment, combining the right parts together (XYZ, rotation, goniometer etc) would be very expensive. Here in the UK, we don't have the surplus stores which stock scientific equipment like in the US, and shipping from the US to the UK means getting hit with high import fees. I've seen on ebay, cheap micrometer XYZ (and R) stages from China, which look like they could be an option. Question is, are they good enough for subject mounting and movement for photomacrography, or are they simply too coarse or badly made?
Jonathan Crowther

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The ones that I have are beautifully made and work perfectly.

I added one goniometer, purchased used on eBay.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=40703

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I have and use the XYR stages from Wemacro, they work well and aren't expensive. These are 40mm square types and thus don't support heavy loads.

https://www.wemacro.com/?product=xyr-st ... men-holder

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

jmc

Post by jmc »

Cool, thanks. Good to know they could be an option then.
Jonathan Crowther

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

To be clear on the Wemacro XYR stages, these are not manufactured by or for Wemacro. Similar or maybe the same devices are available from eBay, but I've found eBay to be risky on many things unless you know the supplier.

William at Wemacro seems to carefully watch the quality of all the items they supply, so "valued added" in assurance IMO.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've had excellent results with the Chinese-made 60mm XYZ stages. They don't have any more travel than the 40mm (same micrometer). This is the type I have used extensively:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XYZ-3-Axis-Lin ... 3588183397

This doesn't have rotation of course. The Newport RS rotation stages work great, but are fairly expensive.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Thanks all. Build currently on hold. I had bought a focus block from a Zeiss microscope from ebay, however that has failed to arrived (raised as an issue with ebay). Until I get that side of things sorted and I know what I'm working with, the subject positioning will be on hold.
Jonathan Crowther

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic