Lens scope converter?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

Lens scope converter?

Post by dhmiller »

Picked up a Nikon lens scope converter on an impulse - not much info on it here. Does anyone have any usage tips or best practices recommendations? Thanks for any feedback.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Do you mean this type of converter for mounting a Nikon F mount camera on a microscope?

If so I'd also be interested to hear opinions on it, as I've been able to find very little out about them. One turned up a couple of days ago for my Olympus BHB build, and it looks like it will do the job, but it would be good to know of others experience with it.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I had a Nikon Scope Converter for years, but never used it. It worked well but I always preferred binoculars. I still have a couple of Converters from other brands (Canon, Spiratone, Minolta) but alas have not used any of them.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Just to make sure we are talking of the same thing, the "Nikon Lens Scope Converter" is an accessory that attaches at the rear of a Nikon lens with F bayonet and converts it to a telescope. It has an eyepiece at the rear and a built-in prism to erect the image.

I had one in the past but sold it after a few years. Image quality is good, but the exit pupil of the eyepiece is narrow. Hand-holding a telephoto lens without excessive image shaking is difficult. As Ray already mentioned, binoculars are far more convenient to use.

The utilized lens aperture is limited, so this and similar converters cannot use very fast lenses (they do work with fast lenses, but effectively stop them down a couple of stops or more).

Edit: see https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/lsc.htm . One thing I had forgotten is that it cannot be used with G lenses.
--ES

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Yes, this is the one I own(ed) - a small device that has an eyepiece and an F mount. But I returned it because I had been under the impression that I could actually take photos with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic