macro lens for mobile phones

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lothman

macro lens for mobile phones

Post by lothman »

Hello,
I would like to enhance the macro abilities of my mobile phone. I don`t want to convert it into a microscope (no 10x lens) but push it a little further. I handheld an achromat (4x I think) before the mobile camera and that works quite well.
Absolutly cool would be when an adapter also could use the LED Illumination of the phone and transfer/diffuse it for the close macro range.

Can anybody recommend some brand/type of those auxillary lenses?

single lens clipped by rubber band

multi element clip on design

5 element design allows bigger working distance

regards
Lothar

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Lothar,

Schneider kreuznach made a set that mounted on a clip on bracket. The results were very good, little if no CAs from what I remember. I will look for them and see if I can find them, that is the hard part :shock:

Best,

Robert

lothman

Post by lothman »

I got this lens from Aliexpress called a 100mm macro lens.
For under 15€ I'm very happy with the quality, solid metal clamp with rubber sheets to protect the phone. On an iPhone 11 I get 32mm picture width instead of 70mm without the lens, working distance is still 4cm with the lens attached.
crop

Last edited by lothman on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

lothman wrote: Image
It even has filter threads! Time to mount an objective lens onto it just for fun.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I haven't tried this one since I own a Galaxy. I've seen them on eBay.

https://www.dearsusan.net/2017/04/28/ze ... bbit-hole/

Would be nice to see some actual comparison test from a non sponsored individual.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buyi ... oid-phones

-JW:

patta

Post by patta »

I second lothman post, Apexel lenses are ok; other brands have similar..
Your 5-elements seems ok.

Get one around 20$ from Aliexpress, or the same model from ebay.
I have an clip-on 25mm Apexel always in my pocket!
The Autofocus tracking of the phone works a beauty...

Beware that the lens by lothman fits the Iphone, but may not fit f.ex. Samsung Galaxy, because the camera is too distant from the border; you need a longer clip.

All macro lenses are pretty strong, short working distance; I haven't found any weaker lens.
No way to get the flash light... they are all too large and get in front of it.

I recommend to AVOID:
- the 2-in-1, 3-in-1 or 7-in-1 sets, they have low resolution and the macro lens is just 1 lens.
The "rubber band" is the same.
- Expensive models from cool western brands, they are just rebranding of the Chinese optics at 4x the price, with some fancy mount. Exolens may be the exception, but they seem expensive or out of commerce.

Saul

Post by Saul »

lothman wrote:I got this lens from Aliexpress called a 100mm macro lens.
Did you try other lenses, like 2x tele, wide angle ?
I got this macro also, very happy with it (comparing with previous I purchased), except one small problem - hard to take out the lens from the silicon case :)

Macro_Cosmos wrote:It even has filter threads! Time to mount an objective lens onto it just for fun.
Yes, 37mm

Saul
μ-stuff

lothman

Post by lothman »

Saul wrote: Did you try other lenses, like 2x tele, wide angle ?
I got this macro also, very happy with it (comparing with previous I purchased), except one small problem - hard to take out the lens from the silicon case :)
no I did not try other lenses but I bought another sets of the APEXEL HD optic camera 100mm macro lens.
And yes the lens is sticky in the silicon case but on the other hand it is a good protection. If they only could make some small nibs (shackle whatever) on the silicone part so that you can attach the metal clamp, than everything would stay together.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic