Nikon BD Plan 40x/0.65 210/0 vs ED Plan

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

anto74

Nikon BD Plan 40x/0.65 210/0 vs ED Plan

Post by anto74 »

Hello,
what is the difference between this two objective?
They are similar or ED plan is better?
I would use 40x for wings detail (1mm working distance)
The Elwd version are too expensive for me for this kind of shots (only few shots of wings)
Thanks
Antonio

anto74

Re: Nikon BD Plan 40x/0.65 210/0 vs ED Plan

Post by anto74 »

anto74 wrote:Hello,
what is the difference between this two objective?
They are similar or ED plan is better?
I would use 40x for wings detail (1mm working distance)
The Elwd version are too expensive for me for this kind of shots (only few shots of wings)
Thanks
Antonio
Any help please? :)
Or M Plan version is better?
Antonio

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I can't think of an ED Plan objective. Where have you seen it?
Chris R

anto74

Post by anto74 »

ChrisR wrote:I can't think of an ED Plan objective. Where have you seen it?
Hello Chris,
here: https://www.ebay.it/itm/Nikon-ED-Plan-4 ... 2407756621

Antonio

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I have picked up several ED Plans at surplus sales, but they do not seem to be any different from their respective BD Plans. Maybe they were built for microscopes intended for "epi" illumination? The ones I have purchased were mounted to wafer inspection microscopes. I have not checked to see if their illumination angles are the same. The ED/BD Plans also seem to be optically the same as the M Plan versions, just with added coaxial lighting provisions.

Edited to add: You may have an easier time with illumination by removing the outer shroud from an ED/BD Plan than you will from the larger mechanics of the respective M Plan. I don't have a 40x ED/BD but my 10x BD is much smaller than my 10x M Plan, and my 20x BD is still smaller as is required to accommodate the BD illumination paths. I assume the 40x BD would follow the same principle.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

anto74

Post by anto74 »

ray_parkhurst wrote:I have picked up several ED Plans at surplus sales, but they do not seem to be any different from their respective BD Plans. Maybe they were built for microscopes intended for "epi" illumination? The ones I have purchased were mounted to wafer inspection microscopes. I have not checked to see if their illumination angles are the same. The ED/BD Plans also seem to be optically the same as the M Plan versions, just with added coaxial lighting provisions.
Thanks Ray :)
Antonio

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

You may have an easier time with illumination by removing the outer shroud from an ED/BD Plan than you will from the larger mechanics of the respective M Plan. I don't have a 40x ED/BD but my 10x BD is much smaller than my 10x M Plan, and my 20x BD is still smaller as is required to accommodate the BD illumination paths. I assume the 40x BD would follow the same principle.

anto74

Post by anto74 »

ray_parkhurst wrote:You may have an easier time with illumination by removing the outer shroud from an ED/BD Plan than you will from the larger mechanics of the respective M Plan. I don't have a 40x ED/BD but my 10x BD is much smaller than my 10x M Plan, and my 20x BD is still smaller as is required to accommodate the BD illumination paths. I assume the 40x BD would follow the same principle.
Thanks Ray :)
The next week i will have my new (used) BD Plan 40x :)
Thanks
Antonio

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

If you take off the shroud, you might try to do it non-destructively. BD lighting can be wonderful for some subjects, so you might want to use it in the future, even if you think you don't need it now.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:If you take off the shroud, you might try to do it non-destructively. BD lighting can be wonderful for some subjects, so you might want to use it in the future, even if you think you don't need it now.
The outer case of my 10x and 20x BD Plan objectives unscrew from the body and come off easily, along with the plastic ringlight pipe. I assume the 40x is the same. My BD EWLD's are not the same, and look like they would need to be machined to remove the outer case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic