Schneider Componon 28mm f/1.9 Iris Upgrade and more

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Schneider Componon 28mm f/1.9 Iris Upgrade and more

Post by RobertOToole »

Since my original Componon 4/28 thread only had 155 views, the Componon 28 is a lot less popular than I thought :shock: I'm going to try a different approach with the test updates that I posted today and post a highlight from the page updates.

I just posted some info today on how to upgrade the 4/28 to f/2 on the #00 housing and up to f/1.9 on the older 15 blade housing.

The Componon 28mm test on my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... -lens-test

Schneider #00 housing upgrade:

15 blade iris housing upgrade:

The sharpest aperture varies by the lens but some samples are sharpest at f/3.5 or some even faster.

This upgrade also works on the 4/35 Componon.

If you can think of something missing on my 28mm Componon page or you have an idea for something to add please leave me a message or post a reply below. Thanks.

Also if you catch any typos let me know.

Best,

Robert

dolmadis

Re: Schneider Componon 28mm f/1.9 Iris Upgrade and more

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Robert

As you might remember I had an interest in trying out a Componon 4/28 but as commonly available as they once were I cannot find one on eBay right now and have a search out there.

That might explain the views on your test thread?

Or it could be that your combo tests with the 28/2.8 have made that one of greater interest right now?

No criticism just a reply expressing my interest in your post.

BR

John

RobertOToole

Re: Schneider Componon 28mm f/1.9 Iris Upgrade and more

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:Hi Robert

As you might remember I had an interest in trying out a Componon 4/28 but as commonly available as they once were I cannot find one on eBay right now and have a search out there.

That might explain the views on your test thread?

Or it could be that your combo tests with the 28/2.8 have made that one of greater interest right now?

No criticism just a reply expressing my interest in your post.

BR

John
Hi John,

True, it might be a little of both. Some of the fault is mine of course promoting the lenses lately.

Also I have to admit I picked up 4 of the 28mm lenses in Dec-Jan, two for about $100 and two for about $50, one was only $30. Some of these were uncommon types to feature on my site.

(Also snagged a 4/35 in new-old-stock in the box for only $50! )

The 2.8/28 is fantastic but the 4/28 are usually available for a lot less and are way more common.

The good news is that now have extras for sale, I just counted...hmm...well...a few too many :D

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Best,

Robert

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Robert

As I can't find a 4/28 at the mo thanks for putting my name down for one of your spares.

BR

John

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

FYI,

Over the last few days I have been able to update the 4/28 page on my site a couple of times with all new info.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... -lens-test

Below is some of the new info:

Its an easy swap to re-house the 4/28 lens cells from the green window BK-VL iris mount, in the center, to the yellow or green window f/2.8 BK-VL mounts, like that on the right.

The older BK-VL mount, on the left, with the f-stops printed on the aperture ring will not house the newer lens cells but will house the older B#00 cells.

A note to some people that worry about opening and removing and replacing lens cells somehow effecting the lens performance? The lens is just as sharp or sharper in the new iris mounts. I checked.

Also 50% of my Schneider lenses had loose cells when I received them from the seller. That means the lens cells tend to loosen over time, at least I assume Schneider tightens the lens cells when they left the QC area of the factory, right? :shock:

BTW, some of the newer Schneider lenses have thread locker applied to the cell threads.

Best,

Robert
Last edited by RobertOToole on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very very interesting, Robert. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks for discovering and sharing it.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Very very interesting, Robert. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks for discovering and sharing it.
Thanks lou. Happy to share the info.

I'm just glad Schneider decided to go with a modular design with all these lenses, Rodenstock 4/28, 2.8/28 and 4/35 use a front cell but they use the lens body to house rear elements, where SK uses two lens cells. I'm glad its not the other way around since the Rodenstocks 28 and 35 are not at the same IQ level as the SKs.

The older 15 blade SK lenses are beautifully made also BTW.

Regarding the 4/28 and 4/35, I'm working on something now that I want to double check before I share the news, but it will be a nice surprise for everyone :D

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Posted a couple more 4/28 updates on my site.

One nice finding is that the Makro Iris body is compatible with the 27mm front cell from the BKV-L housing, with green or blue aperture window, but with the 4/28 cell installed, it allows the aperture to open to a maximum of f/2.

The lens cells that came with the Makro Iris and Preset iris mounts both used shims on the rear cell, which the 4/28 does not use, but the lens performance is fine without the shim. The diameter of the shim made in impossible to test with the 4/28 lens cell.

All but one of my Makro Iris lenses have cells that have thread locking compound, but the 2.8/50 lens did not, so I used that iris body to test.

Working on more now and will post some new info over the next couple of days.

Best,

Robert

EricRed

Upgrade Details

Post by EricRed »

I recently acquired a Schneider 50mm f/4 enlarge lens in the B00 iris mounts. I'd like to do this iris mount transplant with my Schneider 28mm f/4 to create a f2.0.

I've never dismantled a lens other than replacing a shutter on a view camera lens. I have the proper tools and I've watched a number of youTube videos on lens repair. The degree of difficulty seems to vary substantially from lens to lens. I have not found little on disassembling enlarger lenses. I would think the simpler design of an enlarger lenses would put it on the easier side.

I'm looking for advice on swapping the iris mounts. After comparing the differences between the front elements of the two lenses, I realized I'm not completely sure I understand what parts I need to swap. Is the object to remove the front and rear lens assemblies and swap the entire barrels? The other possibility might be to open the lens, pull some assembly I don't know about which contains the iris and move that.

I've found in both cases the rear elements easily unscrew from the barrels. I could see the back of the iris blades, like the back of a shutter.

The part I am less sure about is how to deal with the front lens elements. The fronts of the two lenses look quite different. On the 28mm there is a thin ring with spanner wrench slots and the ring with the lens information. Using a silicon rubber filter wrenches, I was able to rotate both of those ring together. Those parts appear to unscrew as a group along with the ring containing the filter thread. I'm thinking all those parts must be the front lens assembly. I didn't want parts pouring out, so I did not unscrew it all the way.

The 50mm is a little different, but I've been able to unscrew what appears to be the equivalent elements. Images on Robert's site makes it appear that the two lens elements from the 28mm were just unscrewed from the the 28mm barrel and moved to the 50mm barrel. Is that all I need to do? Does it make any sense to put the 50mm lens assemblies onto the 28mm barrel understanding that the f-stops will screwed up.

Thanks for any help.

Eric
-- Eric --

RobertOToole

Re: Upgrade Details

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Eric
EricRed wrote:I recently acquired a Schneider 50mm f/4 enlarge lens in the B00 iris mounts. I'd like to do this iris mount transplant with my Schneider 28mm f/4 to create a f2.0.

I've never dismantled a lens other than replacing a shutter on a view camera lens. I have the proper tools and I've watched a number of youTube videos on lens repair. The degree of difficulty seems to vary substantially from lens to lens. I have not found little on disassembling enlarger lenses. I would think the simpler design of an enlarger lenses would put it on the easier side.
Yes, Schneider Componons are modular, all the elements are contained in two cells. Other lenses use retainers to mount the elements in the housing, some of the Rodenstocks and others are like this. The 4/28 Rodenstock is not modular for example.
I'm looking for advice on swapping the iris mounts. After comparing the differences between the front elements of the two lenses, I realized I'm not completely sure I understand what parts I need to swap. Is the object to remove the front and rear lens assemblies and swap the entire barrels? The other possibility might be to open the lens, pull some assembly I don't know about which contains the iris and move that.
There are images on my site that show the 4/28 and 4/35 Componons disassembled but thanks to this message I discovered that my site is down, or at least the images are down.

I might have an image on my computer that I an upload now while I wait for help with my site.
I've found in both cases the rear elements easily unscrew from the barrels. I could see the back of the iris blades, like the back of a shutter.

The part I am less sure about is how to deal with the front lens elements. The fronts of the two lenses look quite different. On the 28mm there is a thin ring with spanner wrench slots and the ring with the lens information. Using a silicon rubber filter wrenches, I was able to rotate both of those ring together. Those parts appear to unscrew as a group along with the ring containing the filter thread. I'm thinking all those parts must be the front lens assembly. I didn't want parts pouring out, so I did not unscrew it all the way.
That is front a lens cell. It houses elements. Opening up a lens cell doesn't serve any purpose if you are trying to swap lens iris mounts.
The 50mm is a little different, but I've been able to unscrew what appears to be the equivalent elements. Images on Robert's site makes it appear that the two lens elements from the 28mm were just unscrewed from the the 28mm barrel and moved to the 50mm barrel. Is that all I need to do? Does it make any sense to put the 50mm lens assemblies onto the 28mm barrel understanding that the f-stops will screwed up.
If the two lenses are the same iris mount type of iris the cells are swappable.

You might have a mis-match or iris mount types but there is no way to tell unless I see the housings.

Maybe count the iris blades to check?

The image below is of the older round aperture iris mount. The cells from the 4/28 of the same type will thread right in and are a direct swap for the 4/50.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Just checked, there are images and some hints and tips about swapping the housings on both pages, the 4/28 and 4/35:

Not sure if you have looked at the pages.

If the lens threads are not matching up, you probably have the adapter step-down plate stuck to the back of the front cell. Thats an easy fix once you get the grease cleaned off you can get the plate un-stuck. Then screw the adapter back in the housing.

My site is back up and running now thankfully, it was a cache issue on the server side I am told. Thanks for asking the questions, that led me to check my site.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic