Tip on reviving completely stuck gliding stages

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rorschach

Tip on reviving completely stuck gliding stages

Post by Rorschach »

Wanted to share what I discovered today about reviving completely stuck gliding stages. I do suspect it will work on any all-metal microscope parts, too. However, I wouldn't use it on parts that contain plastics.

I have a nice Wild gliding stage (part number 234 461) that had been sitting in storage for some years because it was completely stuck due to hardened grease. I mean immovable like a glacier! That's the way I got it.

Today I decided to try hot water on it and proceeded to pour 2l of boiling water on it, over the course of a minute or two. Then continued by using as hot water as I could get from the tap, again for a minute or two (it was in the sink already). Last round was with water that is just bearable for the hands. And voila: it came unstuck easily!

Now I have the stuck two parts separate, waiting for WD40 or lighter fluid treatment to get rid of all the grease residue. Then it is time to get some Nye grease from Micro-Tools and it will be as good as new. And clean!

I have it's big brother, the Leica 10 446 301 for 120mm stage opening, waiting for the same treatment next. This one is not as bad as it still moves (barely).

I got both for basically nothing and soon they both will be as good as new. Once again, Ebay bargain hunting and some tinkering paid off big time. Rejoice! :D

lothman

Re: Tip on reviving completely stuck gliding stages

Post by lothman »

Rorschach wrote: Today I decided to try hot water on it and proceeded to pour 2l of boiling water on it, over the course of a minute or two. Then continued by using as hot water as I could get from the tap, again for a minute or two (it was in the sink already). Last round was with water that is just bearable for the hands. And voila: it came unstuck easily!
Most probably you lowered the viscosity of the old grease by heating up so it came loose. That's fine but I would do this by air heating (kitchen oven @80°C for half an hour) instead of boiling water.

Rorschach

Re: Tip on reviving completely stuck gliding stages

Post by Rorschach »

lothman wrote:
Rorschach wrote: Today I decided to try hot water on it and proceeded to pour 2l of boiling water on it, over the course of a minute or two. Then continued by using as hot water as I could get from the tap, again for a minute or two (it was in the sink already). Last round was with water that is just bearable for the hands. And voila: it came unstuck easily!
Most probably you lowered the viscosity of the old grease by heating up so it came loose. That's fine but I would do this by air heating (kitchen oven @80°C for half an hour) instead of boiling water.
Yeah, probably. I thought about the oven but decided against having grease plus whatever residue produce fumes into where we make food.

Perl

Post by Perl »

Etanol Best for this
heating stuff - only if no other things work
****** Seeing is Believing ******

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic