Cheap objectives: are they worth buying?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Miljenko

Cheap objectives: are they worth buying?

Post by Miljenko »

Being occupied with other's lens testing for the last couple of months I neglected my own untested lenses/objectives. New lenses drawer became crowded so it's time to start discovering many promissing items in the following weeks. But besides that drawer, there is another one with scrapped lenses for whatever reasons, mostly after quick and dirty resolution testing. Since recent Zeiss 6.3x Semiplan pleasant discovery, I realized I have it's shorter brother 3.2x 0.10 Semiplan sitting right there with few other written off objectives. All six of them were purchased for couple of $ each but since they seem to be of inferior performance, the amount spent seem to be to much, actually. Or was it?
I wondered if I give them proper testing, there might some pleasant surprise, at least with Zeiss 3.2x 0.10 Semiplan.
Fortunately, before every MTF testing I perform very simple and quick pretesting. It is actually start and end focusing point setting for my macro rail in order to align the sharpest focusing plane with MTF target. This is done by checking camera focus assistant that highlights object edges when in focus. The hysteresis of this system starts and ends when MTF resolution is at approximatelly 1000 LW/PH, which is fortunately a value of acceptably sharp picture. So every lens/objective that fails to show colored razor edge at any point does not qualify for further testing. This nice X-T2 feature have saved me many working hours and helped separating good from useless lenses (for photomacrography at least).

So during this preparation 3 out of 6 objectives failed to pass this basic test: Tiyoda 2x 0.10, Lomo 9x 0.20 and no name 4x 0.15. There was simply no need to spend any additional time for those three.
OTOH, next 3 objectives were showing clear colored edges in wide enough focusing range which is always a promissing scene to see. Those are: Zeiss 3.2x 0.10 Semiplan, Lomo 3.5x 0.10 and Lomo 3x 0.11. Actually, I had high hopes for Zeiss optics since that former Eastern Germany manufacturer was able to design some very fine objectives like recently tested 6.3x 0.16 Semiplan.

Close inspection has shown very simple and short design covered by external tube much longer than the optics itself. Removing it was logical move so I tested with and without it. All the objectives were tested at both nominal extension and shorter focused in quest for better performance.

Zeiss 3.2x 0.10 Semiplan ufortunatelly didn't justify it's big brother's fame showing just mediocre performance. Removing casing which is actually front aperture mask improved center resolution and CA but the edge resolution dropped even further. Shortening the extension tube by 30% improved both center and edge resolution considerably but for 1.9x magnification figures were still not something to write home about. And CA is still on the high side there. Removing the casing at this magnification does not improve center resolution by much but worsens the edge resolution to terrible figures.
Next came the objective performing much better than Zeiss 3.2x. Russian Lomo 3.5x 0.10 Plan is one very small finite objective with obviously simple design. Focusing plane is pretty straightened but far from flat. Resolution is pretty decent at both center and edges with exceptionally low CA. While shortening extension tube I was hoping for even better performance but that happened only with center resolution while the edge resolution and CA worsened a lot. To conclude, this is pretty fine objective available with budget price tag performing very good at nominal tube length.

Finally, there was #6 in this cheap objective survey which resembles older version of famous Lomo 3.7x.
With 16% lower magnification, Lomo 3x 0.11 produced 10% higher central resolution and 22% higher edge resolution than his 3.5x brother. CA was equally low which is wellcome bonus. And there is another "feature" that both objectives share: performance worsening when short focused by 30%. Central resolution jumps up but everything else gets worse so I don't recommend using it that way.
So, out of 6 cheap objectives two seem to be pretty good. In case you are on tight budget and want to dive into 3x magnification range, those two will not brake the bank while providing decent performance at default magnification. Don't expect extremely crisp and sharp stacks like those from Mitutoyo and other top notch objectives but those two might pleasantly surprise you!
All things are number - Pythagoras

Soki

Post by Soki »

Hello Miljenko,

you posted that some time ago but I still wanted to thank you for this superb objectives test! It helped me a lot. The Zeiss Jena Semiplan 3,2 seems to be a bit overrated. In Germany it is still a hyped stacking objective (along with the Semiplan 6,3 which seems to be a lot better).

I really like my CZJ Semiplan 3,2 but I decided to buy the Lomo 3,7 0,1.
Sadly this objective has become pretty expensive ( got mine minutes ago for 79,99$), but it seems to be worth it.

I'm looking forward to test it:)

kind regards from Germany,
Simon

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

My experience with the Lomo 3.5x has been terrible, one of the worst objectives I own. There miust be exceptionally large quality variations in this objective. I suppose that is a high risk for all these ancient cheap objectives.

Soki

Post by Soki »

Lomo definitely had some quality issues. I read about this multiple times...I opened a thread by myself about series deviation (Nikon M 5 0.1). I only own a Lomo Plan 9 0.20 and my copy works fine (still not as good as the ZeissJena 8 0.20) and has no quality issues.

Kind regards,
Simon

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I have two Lomo 3.7x objectives, and one was better than the other, but in that case both were very good, even the "less good" one was still very good.

This happens for all brands, though some more than others, and especially objectives and lenses bought on eBay. The proportion of bad lenses is greater on eBay than in the general population, because people are more likely to sell a lens they are not happy with.

There are exceptions though. The abundant and cheap Nikon OEM 20x 0.75 objectives are coming from a common laboratory machine that has suddenly become obsolete. The decision to sell those objetcives has nothing to do with their quality; in fact, their sustained use in a very expensive piece of equipment implies a sort of quality control, so these might even be better, on the average, than the general population of Nikon 20x objectives.

Another interesting exception that I always look for is a lens that has electrical problems, or autofocusing problems. The people selling those are selling them for an obvious reason, rather than selling them because of bad image quality. I bought what turned out to be my best MFT tube lens, an expensive Nikon ED zoom, for almost nothing because the autofocus didn't work.

physicsmajor

Post by physicsmajor »

Lou Jost wrote:...

I bought what turned out to be my best MFT tube lens, an expensive Nikon ED zoom, for almost nothing because the autofocus didn't work.
Would you mind sharing which Nikon zoom is giving you this level of performance? Apologies if it's in your post archive already.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I did post it somewhere here but even I can't find it. It's the Nikon 80-200mm EDIF two-ring zoom, with this label in gold near the base (camera side) of the lens:
Nikon ED
Silent Wave Motor
AF-S Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D

Edit: Note that even on MFT, the zoom begins to vignette below 120-150mm. It is not useful at all on full frame. Nevertheless, at and near 200mm, on an MFT sensor, it was the best I had found at the time I did those tests (maybe a year ago). And I had included almost every commonly-used tube lens in that test, including Raynox, ITL200, and several common Nikon 200mm lenses.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Here is one on eBay right now with broken autofocus! But it has fungus. Anyway this may help people identify the lens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/As-is-Nikon-AF ... 0005.m1851

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... has many fungus too.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yep, I edited my entry while you were typing. I noticed this eBay listing from the PM you sent me. It was listed in the page that you linked to. The picture might be helpful for people looking for this model.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I found my tube lens test post, with many pictures of the winning zoom:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... a6e3fdffbd

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:I have two Lomo 3.7x objectives, and one was better than the other, but in that case both were very good, even the "less good" one was still very good.
Hi Lou, for best results I recommend stacking the Lomo 3,7x. :D

FYI, just in case, I posted something years ago, this is the post on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/lomo-3-7x-and-sr120

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Hi Robert, yes, I remember that post well. That was a great and surprising discovery.

Soki

Post by Soki »

Lou Jost wrote:I have two Lomo 3.7x objectives, and one was better than the other, but in that case both were very good, even the "less good" one was still very good.

This happens for all brands, though some more than others, and especially objectives and lenses bought on eBay. The proportion of bad lenses is greater on eBay than in the general population, because people are more likely to sell a lens they are not happy with.
Hopefully I get a good one. Any way to confirm that with only one copy?
I have never read about quality problems with Zeiss (besides Delamination issues), Leitz, Olympus, Wild,...
I own multiple Leitz objectives from the 1930s and 1940s, which are still of superb quality. Those objectives are nearly 90!! years old.

Kind regards,
Simon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic