High precision x, y and R object adjusting head

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Troels

High precision x, y and R object adjusting head

Post by Troels »

Anybody looking for a Mitutoyo object adjusting head with X-Y + rotation with 0.002 mm precision micrometer adjustments and 25 mm throw at a very reasonable price?

Only problem is size and weight. But take a look at:

this pecision machine

I have no personal interest in this. Just found i interesting.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

In one of my junk boxes I happen to have two very similar or identical Mitutoyo micrometers, also in my case from the stage of an SEM. I don't remember the SEM brand, but not Mitutoyo, The micrometers only are Mitutoyo. I also have a third micrometer from the same stage, but it is smaller than the other two, unlike that particular stage.

These micrometers are relatively smooth and easy to turn, and built to be vacuum-proof. The stub-carrying mechanism, inside the vacuum chamber, was a gold-plated precision piece of machinery, but I don't have it. It might perhaps be more useful for photomacrography than the micrometers. I used this SEM for several years before it was decommissioned, and I remember that moving the stub across its 12.5 mm diameter required dozens of turns of the micrometers, far too many to be practical with any but the smallest subjects at the highest magnification.

The dampers on which the SEM column is mounted could also be of interest for re-use in photomacro/micro use, but probably they are designed for the specific weight of the column, which is much higher than a typical photomacrography setup.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic