adjusting ITL200 in SM2A20 adapter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

adjusting ITL200 in SM2A20 adapter

Post by nielsgeode »

Today my partial Thorlabs shipment arrived :D How do you mount / adjust the ITL200 tubelens inside the SM2A20 adapter? Thorlabs has the adjustable spanner wrench SPW801, but it's expensive and I wonder if there is a more economical alternative?

lothman

Re: adjusting ITL200 in SM2A20 adapter

Post by lothman »

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

You would need a M38x0.5 retaining ring, hope you got one.
Thorlab's spanner wrench is the best I've used, for precision, but it's not the most rigid. A friend makes very rigid ones which I also use. The ebay stuff are bad.

You can just use a slotted "00" screwdriver for the retaining rings. Cover the optics with a piece of cut cardboard to prevent silly accidents.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 pm
You would need a M38x0.5 retaining ring, hope you got one.
Thorlab's spanner wrench is the best I've used, for precision, but it's not the most rigid. A friend makes very rigid ones which I also use. The ebay stuff are bad.

You can just use a slotted "00" screwdriver for the retaining rings. Cover the optics with a piece of cut cardboard to prevent silly accidents.
The one from micro-tools.de seems a very good solution. Yes, I have the 38mm retaining ring :) In total I ordered 2 x SM2L20 (one for ITL200 system and one for 8000ED system). For the ITL200 system I ordered the a tube with outside threading only and a tube with inside threading only so you have more adjustment. It turned out that using 2 x SM2L20 is good enough to get the ITL200 perfectly focused and sharp at infinity. So I will place a second order and get another SM2L20 so I don't have to use the SM2T15 / SM2M20 tubes.

When I order an SM2L10 and 2 extra ring collars I can use the SM2T15 + SM2M20 + SM2L10 for my Dimage 5400 scanner lens. It's convenient to have the same collars for all the optics because in my vertical Stonemaster setup the distance from optical axis to (collar) mounting point is part of the alignment: there is an 8-LED ring light and the optics must be in the center of that ring light.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic