Steps in Stackshot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

Steps in Stackshot

Post by soldevilla »

Recently I have changed my camera for macro to a 2000D. This camera has a pixel much smaller than the previous one and consequently with the same distance between images now appears banding and I must reduce that distance. But it is difficult to reduce that distance because I am already at the limits of Stackshot. To use my x40 I have to go down, according to my calculations, about 3 steps. but my Stackshot does not have a full scale of steps. I can select 1, 6, 11 ... Surely someone has already asked this, but is there a trick to adjust the steps one by one?

Antal

Post by Antal »

This is the camera with now middle contact in the hotshoe. Did you find a solution for this?
I bought one for webshopjobs, but had to return it rightaway..

Sorry for not answering your question but askin one ..
If precision mode of stackshot is not helping you, consider one of the follow solutions:
-Use of a microscope focusing block with a stepper motor and stackshot controller
-Use a rail with smaller pitch
-change the motor on the stackshot rail to one with 0.9degree resolution
-use a micrometric actuator (0.5mm pitch) with a stepper motor and stackshot controller

This is what comes to my mind..

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Steps in Stackshot

Post by rjlittlefield »

soldevilla wrote: my Stackshot does not have a full scale of steps. I can select 1, 6, 11 ...
This sounds like very early firmware.

If you have the USB interface, then it is simple to upgrade the firmware; see https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/s ... _specs.php for instructions and the download.

That page also has instructions on how to upgrade firmware if you have a version without USB. But for that you'll need a special cable.

In any case, if you're using the StackShot alone then you'll definitely want to upgrade the firmware because early firmware did not have the High Precision mode that is needed to get consistently small steps. Discussion on that issue is at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=16323 .

With a 40X objective the StackShot by itself is marginal but usable. Again, see the above-linked discussion about High Precision mode for details.

For routine use with a 40X objective, automating a microscope focus block will work better.

--Rik

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Yes, my Stackshot is very old. Now I am designing a new linear rail with all the precision that I can manufacture in my garage workshop. And a friend is creating for me a control box that will allow me to work in theory below the thousandth. Or at least to the limit that the mechanics allow us. We'll see how this experiment ends ...

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Antal wrote:This is the camera with now middle contact in the hotshoe. Did you find a solution for this?
I bought one for webshopjobs, but had to return it rightaway..
I not have used never the flash with these camera... I can´t help here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic