Studio macro setups. Starting over.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Studio macro setups. Starting over.

Post by Beatsy »

After years of incremental bodgery and improvement my macro/micro/diatom setups have densely filled *all* available space and got difficult to optimise or alter further - especially for (what I've gradually learned are) my key priorities.

So I decided to tear everything down, lose most of the heavy desks/tables it was sat on and get some "proper" optical tables as a basis to start over. An extreme macro Spring clean if you will.

That's where I'm at now. I have blank canvases (optical tables) in hand and a whole bunch of existing gear to reconnect in ways that better match where my main interests have settled. Fun times, and really rather energising - now I got over the hump of actually making a start :D

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Good luck with your new designs. Your old results were so good, I am eager to see how you'll improve on them!

JW

Post by JW »

Looks like fun! I recently completed something similar, its like a breath of fresh air and invigorating, and makes you wonder why it didn't happen sooner.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

JW wrote:...and makes you wonder why it didn't happen sooner.
Yup - I'm wondering exactly the same.

Progress made. Heavy lifting all done and main setups in place. Shelves and a wall cupboard to install, and then the (much bigger) job of sorting and storing all the little stuff that "fluffed up" to about 3 times it's original volume when I tore everything apart.

Ongoing...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Those are some impressive Newport tables! Based on just the first image and my own setup, I was imagining something much smaller. :shock:

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I think you need someone to come along and get rid of the clutter on the front desk. I could pass your way if you like?

What's the monstrance on the far left, with the built in screen?
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote:Those are some impressive Newport tables! Based on just the first image and my own setup, I was imagining something much smaller. :shock:

--Rik
Opportunity to buy the 3 at a fair (but not cheap) price arose - I had to have them as they were the perfect size for my limited space (tables are 900w x 600d x 900h). I sometimes wish I lived in the USA so I could get 'em for two bucks a pop, like you guys do :D It was a good buy though - I'm really glad I got them. They're uncannily stable and vibration/wobble-proof (given their relatively light weight). It's all in the rigidity (ooo-er missus).

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

ChrisR wrote:I think you need someone to come along and get rid of the clutter on the front desk. I could pass your way if you like?
Nah, you wouldn't want 'em Chris, Only 3 are macro, the rest are for mundane stuff :D
What's the monstrance on the far left, with the built in screen?
Zeiss ICM405 inverted. Not a screen. Just a piece of card blanking the hole where I removed the Polaroid film gubbins. It fouled one of my earlier DSLRs when mounting it on the front photoport.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I was lucky enough to acquire a Newport industrial grade 600x600mm honeycomb breadboard from the lab I work at recently. Lugged it home on a $90 Uber trip, worth it considering that shipping would have cost at least $300.

I too envy those in the states, they get these stuff for very cheap prices. I've seen a full blown optical table sell for $90. The scrap metal from it is worth more for sure.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nah, you wouldn't want 'em Chris, Only 3 are macro, the rest are for mundane stuff
I thought that was your tube lens collection. Seriously, why don't you try them? My Canon fluorite 300L 2.8 makes a good tube lens, and my Nikon 400mm f/5.6 is a truly excellent tube lens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic