CAD Modelling Goniometers! and a Machinist Inquiry

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JohnDownie

CAD Modelling Goniometers! and a Machinist Inquiry

Post by JohnDownie »

I am embarking on a stack and stitch rig build as a winter project.

I'm modeling the design in Rhino3D, using the manufacturers’ CAD files.
I am going to use Kohzu 50mm goniometers, as I was able to get a trio aligned to the same point (I will choose a pair to work with).

The Kohzu goniometer files have the stage itself and a floating sphere, representing the center of rotation.

The first image shows the goniometers in the same spot, the balls 50, 68 and 86mm above the top surface – the stages are 18mm thick.

The second image shows the stack, with the bottom and middle stages moved down 36 and 18mm, respectively, with the balls now occupying the same space.

I thought that was pretty cool.

I am going to marry the bottom goniometer, 40mm metric bolt pattern, to an Imperial rotary stage, so I am going to design an adapter plate to have made.
Any suggestions as to machinist who could do the work for a somewhat reasonable cost, either in the US or Canada?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: CAD Modelling Goniometers! and a Machinist Inquiry

Post by Chris S. »

JohnDownie wrote:I am going to marry the bottom goniometer, 40mm metric bolt pattern, to an Imperial rotary stage, so I am going to design an adapter plate to have made.

Any suggestions as to machinist who could do the work for a somewhat reasonable cost, either in the US or Canada?
John,

My fabricator, Don Wilson, of Hartville, Ohio, made exactly such an adapter plate for my goniometers and rotation stage. It's labeled "R" in the fourth picture here. That post also has Don Wilson's contact information. I'm sure he'll work with you at a fair price.

When Don made this adapter plate for me, I didn't give him a CAD drawing--just handed him the goniometer pair and rotation stage. But he has made me things from mechanical drawings, too.

--Chris S.

JohnDownie

Post by JohnDownie »

Chris S. wrote: John,

My fabricator, Don Wilson, of Hartville, Ohio, made exactly such an adapter plate for my goniometers and rotation stage. It's labeled "R" in the fourth picture here. That post also has Don Wilson's contact information. I'm sure he'll work with you at a fair price.

When Don made this adapter plate for me, I didn't give him a CAD drawing--just handed him the goniometer pair and rotation stage. But he has made me things from mechanical drawings, too.

--Chris S.
Thanks, Chris - Don sounds great.

Do you have his email by chance?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

JohnDownie wrote:Do you have his email by chance?
I don't have his email. Just now, though I emailed a mutual contact to see if I can get the email that way.

If I don't get it soon, I'd suggest you just give Don a call.

--Chris S.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... just curious, do you have a 3D printer? Heck, you are already using Rhino and seem to have the necessary skills. Draw something up, make sure it's water tight (showedges non-manifold), save as a .STL file and print. You can pick something up like a Ender 3 pretty cheap. I just had another friend purchase one for less than $200.00. Lot's of super tutorials on Youtube for that model, CHEP is one of the best. You'll wonder how you ever lived without one especially IF you have modeling skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahVngvlhoY

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... on another note, if you don't have any patience and aren't a tinker, then don't buy a 3D printer. Seems I'm always messing with mine (not an Ender 3). It can be quite frustrating sometimes, as in ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-mekWh9h8

-JW:

Saul

Post by Saul »

Smokedaddy wrote:... on another note, if you don't have any patience and aren't a tinker, then don't buy a 3D printer. Seems I'm always messing with mine (not an Ender 3). It can be quite frustrating sometimes, as in ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-mekWh9h8

-JW:
Ha ha, good advice :)

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I've just now PM'd John with Don Wilson's email.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic