DVM & Scope Calibrator

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

DVM & Scope Calibrator

Post by mawyatt »

Lots of us here on PM are DIYers and have a small lab setup with maybe a DVM, Oscilloscope and variable Power Supply. Many of these items are either old surplus, some refurbished, or cheap eBay equipment. I have all types.

When we are working on a new project, or debugging one, or just fixing something these items come into play. This begs the question when we make a measurement, how do we know the measurement is accurate?

Take the trusty DVM for example, I have a couple cheap handheld ones, a couple good handheld ones and a couple lab grade bench types. The good ones (Fluke 77 & 87) agree within reason with the lab grade (Agilent HP34401A) DVM on all measurements (Volt, Current, Ohms), the cheap one don't :shock:

Without a good DVM for a reference these cheap DVMs could fool you with an inaccurate reading :shock: Suspect we've all "been there done that!"

Awhile back we got involved with precision 12 & 16 bit ADCs and DACs and wanted to verify their performance, well a 4 1/2 digit Fluke 87 isn't good enough, so the quest for a more accurate DVM began. This eventually led to a surplus HP34401A and then another (long story). Someday, soon I hope, to get a few minutes with the superb HP/Agilent/Keysight 3458A 8 1/2 digit lab DVM and calibrate my 34401A DVMs, and/or calibrate a portable stable reference.

We've looked a reference standards on-line and the ones you can trust are expensive, justified as they a quality designs with "aged" critical components. Eventually after studying what's available we decided to design a DIY reference standard with goals of excellent temperature and long term stability and be portable operating from batteries or from s standard AC power supply.

The core design is based upon the older National Semi LM399/199 buried zener, which BTW is the voltage reference utilized in the HP34401A DVM!! This chip has a built-in heater to keep the chip temperature at 85C, thus dramatically improving temperature drift to less than 1ppm/C, and the buried zener has exceptional long term stability. A Precision Amplifier is required to boost the nominal 6.95V to 10.000V and should use low TC resistors. Another reference is also used, this is the Analog Devices ADRO1, which is based on the brilliant Widlar Bandgap Reference. This also has good TC and long term stability, but not as good as the LM399 and has a nominal 10.000V output so no Precision Amp is required. Now two independent references are available and depend on different mechanisms for a voltage reference.

To augment the two 10V voltage references a Precision Current reference is included and a few precision resistors. The resistors selected are low TC devices, but not the ultra low TC and expensive Bulk Film types which cost ~$38 per resistor :shock:

The LM399 Precision Amplifier design utilizes a differential technique to 1st order cancel any temperature effects due to the resistor TC, so the result should be good over normal room temperature variations. All the potentiometers are multi-turn moderate TC types and their range is just enough to cover the expected trimming range, thus limiting their effects on the precision output voltage.

Input power is from a normal supply or battery of 18~24V and an integral 15V regulator can be employed or bypassed (this is in case the design works at 12V input power which is below the range of the the Precision amplifier output drive capability, but past experience has shown they operate OK). The LM399 heater can be selectively turned off to limit current consumption when under battery power.

Anyway, here's look at the design and PCB for those interested. We'll probably be ordered this PCBs along with the Fast LED Driver PCBs soon.

Best,

Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Great stuff, Mike!

One thing I'm curious about in the wording: do phrases like "we got involved" mean that you're working with somebody else, or is that the royal we?

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

rjlittlefield wrote:Great stuff, Mike!

One thing I'm curious about in the wording: do phrases like "we got involved" mean that you're working with somebody else, or is that the royal we?

--Rik
Yes I work with 3; me, myself and I. :shock:

So guess it's the royal "we" :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ah yes, "the committee in the head". I have one of those also. Mine seems rather more than three voices sometimes. :?

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I had ordered a LM399 reference off eBay about 4 month ago, thought is was never shipped, but finally it arrived. Decided to build up a quick test circuit with some parts I had on-hand to check it out. It's pretty stable!! The 2 DVMs (they need calibration which I'm delinquent on getting done) are Agilent and HP 34401A which use the same LM399 (selected version) as an internal reference, found this out when I repaired them.
modelImage

Then decided to create a SPICE simulation model using a 6.2 volt breakdown diode model and a 2N3904 NPN transistor, which led to the simulation of the LM399 reference circuit.

6.2V diode & 2N3094 (6.95V) Reference output,
10V output

This led to finishing up the PCB, but couldn't get the auto-router to work so ended up doing this "by hand", then tried to implement the 3D view showing the components which worked nicely. You can rotate the PCB and "see" what it will look like when assembled if you have the 3D part models (had to create a couple and change some parts to ones with 3D models).

Note the cut outs for the LM399, this allows better thermal isolation from the PCB (the LM399 will eventually be soldered in place to reduce thermal emf), and some mechanical strain isolation. Galvanic isolation is better also, but the impedance levels are low enough to make this a non-factor unless the PCB is really dirty. Also, note that the PCB accommodates a DIP or SOIC package for U3 and U5, this will allow changing/comparing various Op-Amps.

I have some parts on order which include low TC precision resistors, but not the expensive Vishay types, so may end up getting this PCB fabricated just for fun!!

If I do get this built will be fun to compare how the actual PCB looks vs. this 3D model.

Anyway, probably not interesting to most, but did kept me busy for awhile, better than watching TV or reading all the news, which just hit here!!

Just found out that a retirement home near where I used to work has tested + for ~18 virus cases, so please stay safe!!

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic