Schneider Componon 35mm f4 4/35 Lens Test Online

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Schneider Componon 35mm f4 4/35 Lens Test Online

Post by RobertOToole »

Finally finished the 4/35 Componon page for my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... -lens-test

This was a lot of work but I learned a lot more than I expected building the page. Some of the more interesting things?

- All the CPN 4/35 types, from old to current types, are all great performers
- The CPN 4/35, setup stacked, is fantastic from 2-5x.
- The CPN 4/35 is sharp at f/2.8 (also sharp at f/2 in the center)
- You can modify the iris mount or just swap it out for the wider f/2-2.8
- The CPN 4/35 and CPN 2.8/35 share optics.

Now what information would be the most interesting to share here?

A 2500px sample made at 2.6x and a comparison of the MP-E 65 and CPN 35. There are a lot more image samples on the full test page on my site, see the link above.

2500 pixel sample: click to open a full size version in a new window.

2.6X TEST: SCHNEIDER COMPONON 4/35 VS CANON MP-E 65 MACRO LENS
The Canon MP-E 65 was tested at f/4, the best aperture at this magnification.

Front lens: Schneider Componon 4/35 lens reverse mounted set at f/2.8
Rear lens: Mejiro 5.6/90 lens normally mounted focused at infinity set at f/5.6

Stacked lens nominal test aperture: f/2.8
Stacked lens effective test aperture: f/9.5

Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x macro lens setup
MPE nominal test aperture: f/4
MPE effective aperture for this test: f/17.6

Camera: Sony α6300
Sensor size: APS-C 23.5 × 15.6 mm. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

For this test a stack of images was made with 2 micron steps, and was repeated for each aperture. The sharpest frame was then chosen using Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view. Separate images were selected for center, edge, and corner if needed. Each image was processed in PS CC with identical settings with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images.

Canon MP-E center 100% view crop:

CPN 35 center 100% view crop:

Canon MP-E far corner 100% view crop:

CPN 35 far corner 100% view crop:

Be sure to check out the full test for more sample images and lots more info.

Questions, comments welcome.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, thanks for sharing these results. Do you kno how robust are these results to changes in tube lens? Your Mejiro tube lens is a one-of-a-kind find that hasn't shown up on eBay for at least the last year or two, maybe longer. I've been hoping one would come up but it hasn't. Would a more easily obtainable tube lens give equally good results? A Scitex lens perhaps? A Makro-Symmar? Even though the magnification wouldn't be the same.

Edit: I should have looked at you rmain results page on your site before posting this. I see some beautiful tests using a readily available tube lens!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Robert, thanks for sharing these results. Do you kno how robust are these results to changes in tube lens? Your Mejiro tube lens is a one-of-a-kind find that hasn't shown up on eBay for at least the last year or two, maybe longer. I've been hoping one would come up but it hasn't. Would a more easily obtainable tube lens give equally good results? A Scitex lens perhaps? A Makro-Symmar? Even though the magnification wouldn't be the same.

Edit: I should have looked at you rmain results page on your site before posting this. I see some beautiful tests using a readily available tube lens!

Hi Lou,

Tube Lenses
Just last night I thought about adding more info on the page to address the tube lens image quality issue. I just ran a Schneider 5.6/100 lens, an average, low-priced lens, pretty easy to find lens, I paid $20 for one I tested last night. The IQ results are not as good as the Mejiro, more CAs, but the output looks fine. So I'm going to add a list of TLs to use with the CPN and a short review for each. I'll update the thread when I get that finished.

Mejiro TL
The Mejiros are on eBay now, I think I saw two auctions for them. Here is one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-USED-ETEND ... 3888963710?

I don't know this seller, so buyer beware. The price is a bit high but it looks like it comes with a nice focus tube so maybe its not so bad, also the buyer accepts offers.

The Mejiro image quality with the Componon 28 is some of the best I've ever seen at 3,2x: https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... ponon-lens

Scitex S110
Did not get a chance to test the CPN35 on the Scitex S3 110, I regret never finishing the S110 page on my site even though I've tested it a few times, I should get to that soon. Thanks for the reminder.

The Scitex 110 should give me some nice results on the Componon 35 at slightly over 3x.

Thanks for the comments Lou.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks very much for the tip on the Mejiro lenses. My ebay automatic saved search for Mejiro, which has been running for at least a year, never turned these up. Just kept turning up a Mejiro clay. I wonder why?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Thanks very much for the tip on the Mejiro lenses. My ebay automatic saved search for Mejiro, which has been running for at least a year, never turned these up. Just kept turning up a Mejiro clay. I wonder why?
The eBay search engine is terrible. :shock:

Years ago there was a cottage industry of online eBay search engines but eBay was missing out on ad revenue so they blocked them. I really liked the mis-spelled eBay search engine. That would come up with all kinds of gems.

There is another Mejiro auction but with a price of $1K, with a line scan camera, I didn't share it.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Thanks very much for the tip on the Mejiro lenses. My ebay automatic saved search for Mejiro, which has been running for at least a year, never turned these up. Just kept turning up a Mejiro clay. I wonder why?
Just checked to see if the other Mejiro auction price has come down...it hasn't

:shock:

This is for the Mejiro 1x and 0.75x 90mm.

Is this some kind of Chinese Triad money laundering scheme?

BTW, this ad is from a Taobao re-seller that is using another seller's images and selling something they don't own. Just FYI.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

The Componon 4/35 page has been updated with results with the Schneider Componon-S 5.6/100 tube lens with more results coming later.

Will create a new post with the Schneider Componon-S 5.6/100 results so it will be easier to find in the future.

CPN 5.6/100 post: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=41093

More TL results coming soon, including a surprise or two.

CPN 4/35 test:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... -lens-test

CPN 4/35 test post:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=41083

CPN 5.6/100 tube lens test page:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/compo ... -lens-test

Best,

Robert

Bakwetu

Post by Bakwetu »

It seems many people just relist things from Taobao at higher prices on Ebay without even owning them. That was the case with the Rayfact 1.4X I got last year from Taobao. You do get some protection on ebay if things don't work out but the price differences are sometimes staggering. This is probably the original listing at Taobao https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =13#detail

Half of the time when you try and buy something on Taobao, they just cancel your purchase f.x the Mejiro's listed for 888 yuan will not sell for those prices. I think their game is to negotiate the price, probably outside Taobao which has some protection, but that is impossible for us foreigners even if you'd want to risk it.

I got a Mejiro oth75 a few months ago, but haven't made the effort to test it out, mostly because I am unsure on how to connect it.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Bakwetu wrote:It seems many people just relist things from Taobao at higher prices on Ebay without even owning them. That was the case with the Rayfact 1.4X I got last year from Taobao. You do get some protection on ebay if things don't work out but the price differences are sometimes staggering. This is probably the original listing at Taobao https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =13#detail

Half of the time when you try and buy something on Taobao, they just cancel your purchase f.x the Mejiro's listed for 888 yuan will not sell for those prices. I think their game is to negotiate the price, probably outside Taobao which has some protection, but that is impossible for us foreigners even if you'd want to risk it.

I got a Mejiro oth75 a few months ago, but haven't made the effort to test it out, mostly because I am unsure on how to connect it.
Agree about Taobao.

The Mejiro lens mount is easy, its the same V38 mount that schneider and other use, there are Chinese made V38 adapters on eBay, also RafCamera has a nice one he made for me that is V38 > M42. But you need to be careful, some of the Chinese and even Schneider adapter have too small internal clearance at the rear so they wont clear the rear cell of the lens. See the page on Schneider MakroSymmar for examples.

I have a Chinese made V38 adapter with M40 threads I would give you for free, I dont have any use for it, but it wont clear the rear of the Mejiro, I just checked. The Raf adapter V38 > M42 and Schneider V38 > M42 will work.

I dont think the cheap Chinese eBay V38 to M42 clears, its off by 1mm, called no-name adapter below.

More info here: https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mar-sr-120

This is a screen capture from my site, there is more if you follow the link.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I had bought a nice Nikon objective from that seller of the $49.999 Mejiro lens. They had three or more avaialable when I bought it.

Just got this absurd completely dishonestl note today:

New message from: songlcd (2,395Red Star)
Hi dear
Thank you for your order from our store.
But when you order we arrange to tested the item and we found it not working well. when we install on the machine, but the machine no reply. And now we have only 1pcs in stock. Then we try to find another one for you, but we cannot find it.
And the broken board we try many time but still show same problem.
So our master said this is the damage part. we cannot sell the bad item to our client.
So could you mind we help you cancel order and send you refund ?

Best regards
Bonnie

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:I had bought a nice Nikon objective from that seller of the $49.999 Mejiro lens. They had three or more avaialable when I bought it.

Just got this absurd completely dishonestl note today:

Hi dear
Thank you for your order from our store.
But when you order we arrange to tested the item and we found it not working well. when we install on the machine, but the machine no reply. And now we have only 1pcs in stock. Then we try to find another one for you, but we cannot find it.
And the broken board we try many time but still show same problem.
So our master said this is the damage part. we cannot sell the bad item to our client.
So could you mind we help you cancel order and send you refund ?

Best regards
Bonnie

Hate to say it but it's most likely that they can't fill the order since they don't own the objective and they never did, now the real seller is old out of stock.

Sorry to hear that Lou.

Best,

Robert

lothman

Post by lothman »

Lou Jost wrote:Just got this absurd completely dishonestl note today:

I bought a Mity 7,5x from the same seller which also all of sudden was defective (4 available). …

I suppose they do not have the items they offer or realised to get more money elswere.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert and lothman, I knew this going into the transaction. There was no alternative though.

I politely said I would refrain from giving them bad feedback if they refunded me within the week. They refunded me the next day.

Bakwetu

Post by Bakwetu »

RobertOToole wrote:
Agree about Taobao.

The Mejiro lens mount is easy, its the same V38 mount that schneider and other use, there are Chinese made V38 adapters on eBay, also RafCamera has a nice one he made for me that is V38 > M42. But you need to be careful, some of the Chinese and even Schneider adapter have too small internal clearance at the rear so they wont clear the rear cell of the lens. See the page on Schneider MakroSymmar for examples.

I have a Chinese made V38 adapter with M40 threads I would give you for free, I dont have any use for it, but it wont clear the rear of the Mejiro, I just checked. The Raf adapter V38 > M42 and Schneider V38 > M42 will work.

I dont think the cheap Chinese eBay V38 to M42 clears, its off by 1mm, called no-name adapter below.

More info here: https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mar-sr-120

This is a screen capture from my site, there is more if you follow the link.

Best,

Robert
Thanks for the offer, and thanks for all the info you are providing here and on your site. I already have a no-name adapter for the rear end. I got 2 when I bought it for my SK 28mm. The front end is the problem. I guess I have to either clamp it or use a system like the one you are using with an outer tube that you screw it into?
These are the lenses I have so far, I got them last year but haven't tried out properly yet:

SK 28/2.8, Mejiro 90/5.6, SK Xenoplan 23/1.4, Scitex LFOV 108/5.6, Linos MeVis 35/1.6, Canon FD 35/2.8, Mitutoyo QV 5x, Mitutoyo 5x, Leitz Elpro 2 (I also have a Elpro VI b) Raynox 150 & 250 and the Rayfact 1.4X. I also have some macro lenses, Sigma art 70mm, Canon 100 mm IS and a 65mm 1-5x (can only be used above 2X since a flexible pcb inside the lens bends into the pathway of the light)
The Xenoplan 23, Scitex LFOV and the MeVis 35mm I haven't started getting gear to attach them. I got a Mjkzz variable tube setup, but I am not entirely happy with it. I am starting to think I should have gone the SM2 tube way instead to easier attach things and move them more freely inside the tubes.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Bakwetu wrote:
Thanks for the offer, and thanks for all the info you are providing here and on your site. I already have a no-name adapter for the rear end. I got 2 when I bought it for my SK 28mm. The front end is the problem. I guess I have to either clamp it or use a system like the one you are using with an outer tube that you screw it into?
Nice gear!

So the adapter won't clear the front cell?

You can always use a thread adapter, I think the threads are M37 off the top of my head.

Yes, the tube mounting is really nice. For this I have a couple of a M42 x 1.0 to SM2 thread adapters.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic