Camera upgrade

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Camera upgrade

Post by Smokedaddy »

I've been thinking about a microscope camera upgrade for a while now. Most of my hobby is direct projection on the sensor using a microscope but I've done macro work too. I use the Canon EOS utility so the 50D is tethered. Unfortunately cost will be an issue for me. I've been using a dedicated Canon 50D for a long time now and happy with the results but would like something better along with more megapixels. I will be buying used as I always do and something with a low shutter count. My budget is around a $1,000. On another note, I do own quite a few Canon, Nikon, Panasonic (for my GH3) lenses and numerous old Pentax 67 lenses (not that it matters).

Thanks in advance,
-JW:

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Camera upgrade

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Smokedaddy wrote: direct projection on the sensor using a microscope
-JW:
Hi,

What is the magnification of the camera adapter? 1x direct projection or do you use a 2.5x projective? That would determine if a full frame sensor is of any use.

Regards, Ichty

Smokedaddy

Re: Camera upgrade

Post by Smokedaddy »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote: direct projection on the sensor using a microscope
-JW:
Hi,

What is the magnification of the camera adapter? 1x direct projection or do you use a 2.5x projective? That would determine if a full frame sensor is of any use.

Regards, Ichty
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Most of the time I don't use a relay lens with my microscope.

-JW:

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

That's what I meant, thank you. If you use no relay lens, you get the intermediate image directly onto your sensor (no additional magnification = 1x). Than it wouldn't make sense to get anything larger than APS-C.

How about the Canon 7DII?

Regards, Ichty

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

You do mean a 7D Mark II? I'm open to any suggestions from those owning a particular camera. I'm years behind a DSLR's. The last camera I purchased was a Nikon D700 and a Panasonic GH-3 and they're used for other purposes. I purchased the 50D based on Charles Krebs suggestion years ago. Mainly because of its no shutter vibration.

-JW:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Whatever you do, you should stay with a mirrorless solution.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Lou Jost wrote:Whatever you do, you should stay with a mirrorless solution.
I'm open for suggestions.

-JW:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Robert O seems to like his Sony A6300. It doesn't have stabilisation and other nice-to haves, but the used prices can be pretty good.
Do you demand any particular tethering abilities? They vary enormously.
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:Robert O seems to like his Sony A6300. It doesn't have stabilisation and other nice-to haves, but the used prices can be pretty good.
Do you demand any particular tethering abilities? They vary enormously.
He mentioned that to me before in a PM. I definitely want the ability to tether the camera. I've only used Canon EOS utility so I know of nothing else. It will be a dedicated micro/macro camera.

-JW:

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

A used Nikon D810 would be great if you're open to changing brands. They run for around $1000-$1200.

People use control my Nikon to shoot tethered, I heard it's simple. You can always sell some lenses you don't need. I'm going to lay off a bunch soon.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

No, avoid mirror slap and shutter wear; if starting from scratch, I think it is useful to stick with mirrorless solutions that never wear out and don't shake your camera or subject. Especially since this is what you have been using in the past.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

OK, are there any 24MP aps cameras without an AA filter which DO allow tethering?
Other software?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I've forgotten!

Fuji? Olympus? Not Canon, not Nikon...
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I have no problem going with a used mirrorless camera whatsoever. Just looking for the best bang for the money spent in my plus/minus price range. I don't have a automated system yet but the camera needs to have the ability to do so. As I mentioned in the OP, I'm only familiar with my current setup and not others. That's the reason for my posting. Looking for input from those in the know.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes, I'm with you. I've been thinking along similar lines for a while, and hadn't noticed any obvious contender. So I've searched the forum a bit - and still not found one.
Chris R

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

I don't use tethering, but afaik both Fuji X-T2 and X-T3 can be tethered either wired or wireless. APS-C , 24/26MP respectively, no AA filter, mirrorless, fully e-shutter. They seem like a perfect options for what you are looking for.

You can get an used X-T2 for about $500-600. For the money, I very much doubt you can find a better camera for your purpose.

Disclaimer: I haven't used tethering with either the T2 or T3, so do a further research on that before buying.

Best,

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic