Looking for suggestions about twin flexible arms for flash

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

@ Macro_Cosmos: The arms look great, and they presumably work like the Manfrotto arms.
I have ordered the parts to build an armature that is in part based on the Loc-Line tubes, as listed above. It will come out to a bit over $60 for a dual light rig, minus the lights which I already have. If it works, I hope to make a post here about it.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

kaleun96 wrote:I wonder if the flex and play in the mechanics of gorillapod arms and goosenecks help stop them from unthreading compared to rigid Magic/articulating arms. That's always been a problem for me in the field with them, even when mounted vertically, it only takes a small bit of sideways movement with a flash on the end to cause the arm to unthread.
I definitely have to second this.

My outdoor macro flash is a nice TTL Flashpoint, and I'd NEVER trust it to one of those hose type things. I have it mounted on a magic arm on a flash bracket, and have never had any problems.

JohnDownie

Post by JohnDownie »

I am designing a light mount system around a 1" ball system for underwater camera rigs.

The images are from eBay, but they seem so liberally shared that they would be public domain.

I bought one to test it and the rigidity is fantastic using moderate finger pressure on the grip - the 1" ball with equatorial o-ring is very solid.

There is a huge product ecosystem with prices at the low end at a very reasonable level.

The range between the low price and high price on the identical item is big - it pays to shop.

The three-way clamps could be use to triangulate and hold substantial loads, well over 20 pounds, I would guess.

I also tried the GoPro mount clamp system seen at the bottom middle of the first image but found it hard to use - dinky wrench, and far less positive.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That is interesting. I was perusing some of the rigs used for underwater lighting on Amazon.

Right now I am working on assembling a rig that is based in part on 1/2" Loc Line tubing plus other attachments. One goal is to keep the cost down as much as possible. I am ordering this and that, seeing how things go together, returning some items, buying new items...and learning a lot. Not sure what the final thing will look like yet but I will make a post about it if it seems worthy.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic