LU Plan or to TU Plan?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

abednego1995

LU Plan or to TU Plan?

Post by abednego1995 »

Since observations using a Nikon CFI60-2 TU Plan ELWD 20x NA0.40 seems scarce, I’ll add some of my observations to answer the question, “how good are phase fresnel elements?”

Objectives and Microscope
Three objectives were tested. CFI60 LU Plan 20x NA0.45 WD4.5mm, CFI60 LU Plan Fluor 20x NA0.45 WD 4.5mm, CFI60-2 TU Plan ELWD 20x NA0.40 WD19mm (Fig.1). Another CFI 20x MI interferometry objective was used for stage leveling. Microscope was a Nikon based frankenscope for Epi-illumination. A Nikon1J5 1” sensor digital camera was used for imaging.

Subject
Chrome on glass 0.1mm grid micrometer (Fig.1)

Fig.1

Setup
The grid micrometer was placed on a leveling stage, and with the interferometry objective leveled first. The micrometer was further tilted along the long axis of the imager to measure 10 fringes per 200μm under 545nm monochromatic illumination (Fig.2). Since each fringe represents 1/2λ height difference, 10 fringes translate to approximately 2.73μm per 200μm. The objectives to be tested and micrometer were brought to focus at the center of field of view under 545nm illumination.

Fig.2 Note that the lower side is tilted higher than upper side.

Imaging and analysis
Imaging was done with white light, and captured in RAW format. Development was done in Adobe Camera RAW, and RGB channel separation was done in Fiji. Whole area images are shown in Fig.3. Further crops were made of each image, lower left, center, and upper right. Cropped areas are denoted by white rectangles. Enlarged crops are shown in RGB, B,G, and R channels respectively (Fig.4-6)

Fig.3

Fig.4 LU Plan 20x

Fig.5 LU Plan Fluor 20x

Fig.6 TU Plan Fluor ELWD 20x

Results
Though there are two major caveats in testing...
First, achromatic objectives are chromatically corrected in blue and red, and only spherically corrected in green, maybe focus should have been determined in blue or red rather than green.
Second, the spectrum characteristics of the chromatic filters on the Bayer sensor of the Nikon1J5 is unpublished. RGB is thus only a representative term here.

The effects of the phase fresnel element in the TU Plan ELWD 20x is shockingly good, good enough to call it a true "semi-apochromat" whereas the Fluor greatly disappoints. Most members of the forum who are into macro photography would often choose a Mitutoyo MPA 20x as their prime lens. Mounting this objective on a microscope is cumbersome due to its long parfocal distance (unless you set up a dedicated Mitutoyo scope), and in some applications the sheer weight of the objective is problematic. In those kind of applications, I figure the TU Plan ELWD 20x is an objective worth considering.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Excellent test there!

Didn't even know the TU Plan ELWD lens uses Fresnel elements. I've been thinking of buying a Fresnel lens to use as a condenser, they seem to hold interesting characteristics.

I also forgot about the Nikon J series having a 1-inch sensor. I've been thinking about getting a 1-in consumer camera, scientific ones have some very annoying interfacing stuff that I'm not a fan of. Does it do well as a full spectrum camera? Used copies should be cheap nowadays.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Interesting results, thanks for all the time and work you put into this. Interesting to see the different channel crops.

MacroCosmos, yes, the TU Plan EPI ELWD (and SLWD) has a fresnel element, but the TU Plan Fluor, and T Plan EPI does not. I didn't know that when I bought a couple TU plans years ago. :shock:

Edited: pasted some info into the wrong post!

Best,

Robert

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

>Macro Cosmos
Another thing about these phase fresnel elements, they are a plastic (or resin, if you wish) pattern molded on glass. Though it's just over a decade since it's introduction, I'm still skeptic about dissimilar material bonding. But on the other hand, I'm not going to use them into the next century, so maybe it'll be fine. Only time can tell.

I recall Nikon using fresnel lenses for low power objective condensers on their profile projectors. Probably used like those giant condenser lenses on the Multiphot. Good luck experimenting.

The Nikon1 is.... Ok. Great sensor on the J5, but crippled as a camera due to a lack of a remote shutter release. There is a WiFi app to do it actually, but it's only half baked and will drive you insane. So it's a love/hate relationship. Get the V3 if you need a remote release. But lose the sensitivity of the BSI (only the J5 has a BSI CMOS in the series....)

>Robert
I'm guessing getting sequential-Z height split channel images on a level planar subject and stacking them separately would get data something near an aberration curve for the FoV we often see. Might be interesting to try.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic