Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Makro-Symmar Lens **version 0080**

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bhf

Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Makro-Symmar Lens **version 0080**

Post by bhf »

Hello,

New to the forum, been lurking for awhile gleaning an incredibly useful boatload of information from everyone. Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge, this has been a phenomenal resource for me!

I am new*ish to microphotography, have done typical macro stuff and been a photographer for several decades now.

My current main project is converting a motorized microscope into a film scanner (stitched DSLR shots) and macro rig to shoot a mixture of subjects (1-10x) & bw film stock (.5x - 2x). I will post pictures of that rig once I get further along, am in the preliminary stages of figuring out a workflow and what lenses will suit it best. I will be using a D800E mounted to a WeMacro rail.

I picked up a Schneider-Kreuznach 120mm f/5.6 Makro-Symmar lens on ebay recently. This particular version is the *0080* version of the lens. It does not have an iris and apparently was created for use as a TL in a microscope rig (?) -- I haven't been able to find much of any info on this version. My goal is to use it to 'scan' 4x5 film at 1x or perhaps .5x, and 120 & 35mm film at 1x & 2x.

My main question, is there anything about this variant of the lens that will make using it different than the cases outlined in Robert's excellent website (https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mar-sr-120)?

My second question is what is the cheapest way to adapt this to the D800E? I am sure the Thorlabs tube setup Robert uses is a dream, but I don't have the budget to go with a full tube setup like that right now. I would like to initially set this lens up for 1x use.

I purchased a 25mm & 75mm Schneider extension tube, as well as a Schneider 6.5 mm T2 M42 x .75 adaptor, which doesn't clear the rear cell of the lens. I am really confused about which RAF adaptor I can substitute, or where I can go to get one that will.

Some additional equipment I have that might help me along:

- full Kenko extension tube set
- nikon pb-4 bellows
- nikon br-2a adaptor
- schneider componon 28mm f4 enlarger lens (older 80s/early 90s version)
- el-nikkor 63mm f2.8 enlarger lens
- navitar motorized assembly that came with microscope - it is c-mount & came with a Mitutoyo 5x APO Plan and has some kind of tube lens inside

I also have access to most shop tools, a CNC router and laser engraver in case I need to machine anything.

-bhf

RobertOToole

Re: Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Makro-Symmar Lens **version 0080**

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi BHF,

Happy holidays.
bhf wrote:
My main question, is there anything about this variant of the lens that will make using it different than the cases outlined in Robert's excellent website (https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mar-sr-120)?
Someone on the forum might have some personal experience with an iris-less industrial mount SR-120 but odds are against someone with personal experience with this exact part. In my experience iris-less mount industrial lenses are common on eBay and in my experience work just as well or in some cases better than a normal mount with iris. I would guess the optics are the same as a normal lens Makro-iris SR-120 lens in the same mag. range.

My second question is what is the cheapest way to adapt this to the D800E? I am sure the Thorlabs tube setup Robert uses is a dream, but I don't have the budget to go with a full tube setup like that right now. I would like to initially set this lens up for 1x use.
Your best bet is to wait for a cheap auction to buy up Schneider V-mount accessories for a low price, sometimes you can pickup parts for almost free.
I purchased a 25mm & 75mm Schneider extension tube, as well as a Schneider 6.5 mm T2 M42 x .75 adaptor, which doesn't clear the rear cell of the lens. I am really confused about which RAF adaptor I can substitute, or where I can go to get one that will.
You could use a nikon br-2a with 52mm male threads and use Nikon 52mm K-series tubes. These parts are very well made and sell for low prices. Then you would need a 52mm to M42 step-down adapter to mount the lens with a V-mount to M42 adapter, these are available on eBay for almost nothing.

Personally I use the RafCamera V38 to M42 adapters, they will clear the SR-120 since they are designed to work with that lens.

A bracket to mount the M52mm tubes and lenses should be pretty easy to put together, lots of options on eBay or you can modify an off-the-shelf setup to work.
Some additional equipment I have that might help me along:

- full Kenko extension tube set
- nikon pb-4 bellows
- nikon br-2a adaptor
BR-2, there you go!
- schneider componon 28mm f4 enlarger lens (older 80s/early 90s version)
The Componon 4/28, one of my favorites.
- el-nikkor 63mm f2.8 enlarger lens
- navitar motorized assembly that came with microscope - it is c-mount & came with a Mitutoyo 5x APO Plan and has some kind of tube lens inside
If its c-mount, and navitar brand, then the chances are that the tube lens will not have much coverage.
I also have access to most shop tools, a CNC router and laser engraver in case I need to machine anything.

-bhf
Sounds good. Let us know how the project comes along.

Hope this info helps.

Let me know if you need any advice.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

RobertOToole wrote:.....

Personally I use the RafCamera V38 to M42 adapters, they will clear the SR-120 since they are designed to work with that lens.
Found the Raf part:

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-38mm-id-to-m42x1m

dickb

Post by dickb »

bhf wrote:I picked up a Schneider-Kreuznach 120mm f/5.6 Makro-Symmar lens on ebay recently. This particular version is the *0080* version of the lens. It does not have an iris and apparently was created for use as a TL in a microscope rig (?) -- I haven't been able to find much of any info on this version.
Can you tell whether the fixed aperture is fully open or does it have fixed iris stopping it down below the nominal f/5.9?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

bhf wrote:
Anyone looking for a low-cost way to get extension compatible with a full frame sensor? Pick up a couple of these low-cost lenses. The are well made, 80mm or so long, and use a M52 mount.

Remove the retailer ring and take out the glass.

Search eBay for "invaritar".

Robert

bhf

Post by bhf »

dickb wrote:
bhf wrote:I picked up a Schneider-Kreuznach 120mm f/5.6 Makro-Symmar lens on ebay recently. This particular version is the *0080* version of the lens. It does not have an iris and apparently was created for use as a TL in a microscope rig (?) -- I haven't been able to find much of any info on this version.
Can you tell whether the fixed aperture is fully open or does it have fixed iris stopping it down below the nominal f/5.9?
it is definitely a fixed disc

bhf

Post by bhf »

RobertOToole wrote:
bhf wrote:
Anyone looking for a low-cost way to get extension compatible with a full frame sensor? Pick up a couple of these low-cost lenses. The are well made, 80mm or so long, and use a M52 mount.

Robert
Happy belated new year to you and everyone else :)

Thank you Robert for this suggestion and all the other help in the rest of your responses. I got this, and was able to remove to pop out the concave lens after removing the retaining ring.

I don't actually have a tool to remove the flat lens on the opposite side of the tube however. Do you know what tool to use for that?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

bhf wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:
bhf wrote:

Robert
Happy belated new year to you and everyone else :)

Thank you Robert for this suggestion and all the other help in the rest of your responses. I got this, and was able to remove to pop out the concave lens after removing the retaining ring.

I don't actually have a tool to remove the flat lens on the opposite side of the tube however. Do you know what tool to use for that?
The main tube separates from the rear section with the male threads, that would expose the back glass that has also has a retainer. Should be able to loosen the two with some grippy material, I couldn't budge it with bare hands.

Best,

Robert

dickb

Post by dickb »

bhf wrote:
dickb wrote:
Robert mentions a RAF adapter for his apo digitar / makro symmar 120, that gets you an aperture 2mm wider than the standard variable iris. Maybe that is a good match for your 0080 version as well, if you want a larger aperture.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dickb wrote:
bhf wrote:
dickb wrote:
Robert mentions a RAF adapter for his apo digitar / makro symmar 120, that gets you an aperture 2mm wider than the standard variable iris. Maybe that is a good match for your 0080 version as well, if you want a larger aperture.
That would be interesting to find out what the maximum aperture is on the fixed aperture version. I measured the APO-Digitar 5.6/120 M and Makro-Symmar 5.6/120 Makro Iris and they are both f/6.1.

Best,

Robert

Antal

Post by Antal »

Hi,
Is there any known source for M32.5x05 male to anything common adapter?

Or is the only way to use the Vmount on both sides to use this model as a tube lens?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Antal wrote:Hi,
Is there any known source for M32.5x05 male to anything common adapter?
Yes. Lots of M32.5 adapters on eBay. M32.5 x 0,5mm to M42 x 1.0mm for example.

Information and images of mounting the MakroSymmar HM that uses the M32.5 threaded mount just a click away on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mmar-120mm
Or is the only way to use the Vmount on both sides to use this model as a tube lens?
The lens the OP was asking about uses V38 on the front and rear. There are also V38 mounting adapters like V38 > M42 available.

There is lots of information, diagrams and images of V38 adapters and mounting the Makro-Symmar here on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mar-sr-120

Schneider uses both M32.5 and V38 on the different versions of the Makro-Symmar lens.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic