Genaray Pocket LED for studio setups

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kaleun96

Genaray Pocket LED for studio setups

Post by kaleun96 »

I have no affiliation with Genaray but recently purchased one of their products and was quite impressed with it.

It was the Genaray PB-64 pocket LED light. My thinking was to use it on my macro rig in lieu of / in conjunction with my Ikea jansjö light. This one is of course more expensive, I think I paid $59 at BH Photo but it does have some benefits.

It can be mounted on 1/4" thread, has brightness and color adjustment (3200 to 5600K), is wireless (rechargeable via USB-C) and comes with a removable diffuser. Battery supposedly lasts 60min at 100%. There is also a 130% boost mode if you need that extra brightness.

Ideally you'd have two of these but I went for one to see how it would fare. It could be brighter but 100% brightness is definitely adequate for lighting your subject prior to flash, if you had two it could be sufficient for continuous lighting for < 5x macro but I haven't tested this yet.

You get a bunch of accessories with the item as well: cheap ball-head, small pocket tripod, mobile phone mount, USB-C cable, and a decent pouch/case. The accessories aren't the highest quality but better than your average cheap Amazon find.

For me the small size, wireless ability, brightness and colour adjustment, and 1/4" mounting are enough benefits to justify the price. It's a decent bit of kit too, doesn't feel cheap in the slightest. The portability also opens up the possibility of using it in the field.

Anyway just wanted to share!
- Cam

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I'm personally more interested in this claim:

>96 CRI and TLCI

96% CRI is incredible for LEDs, especially something that isn't at all expensive.

If true, this is a great product. Of course I'm rather cynical with things and would have to verify the claims myself, but I can already thing of an array of DIY solutions.

Make a case with 4 magnets in the corners to house the panel, diffusers and whatever other mountables can be magnetically coupled. All done with 3D printing.

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

Looks like there are a lot of LED panels boasting similar ratings on BH Photo.

Might be common for these companies to stretch the truth of those claims or it's become a lot cheaper to achieve those ratings. Guess either way the CRI rating here doesn't seem to elevate it above some similarly priced LED lights but I've been impressed with what you get for the price.
- Cam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic