Ergonomics of photomacrography

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlxndrBrg

Ergonomics of photomacrography

Post by AlxndrBrg »

I have recently started have problems with my back, neck and shoulders from spending too much time at my work station, so much that a change is clearly needed.
Was thinking that the forum users here must have accrued a lot of wisdom over the years when it comes to the ergonomics of photomacrography. But as I could not find anything on the topic here, I decided to start a thread.
Feel free to share any and all experiences on the topic!

My current setup, from left to right is a stereo microscope (Olympus SZH), two semi-large monitors (32") one horizontal one vertical, and then my camera setup with a cognisys rail.
For years I have not had any problems at all when using my microscope for days on end, then two months ago I suddenly was hit with a monstrous case of torticollis, leaving me bedridden for a couple of days. And since then it's been on and off, getting slowly better at first, then coming back and going away and...
The difference now is that I rotate from side to side a lot more, as I work full time taking images of insect specimens. That my chair is not on wheels is an obvious flaw, as I often catch myself trying to crane from side to side fixing some small thing. So wheels will be mandatory on a new chair, but what else... ?

Anyone got experience with other chair/stool types other than the normal "office chair" design?
I'm wondering if a saddle type stool could be an option, as it should help keeping a better upright posture.

Jittebug

Re: Ergonomics of photomacrography

Post by Jittebug »

AlxndrBrg wrote: I'm wondering if a saddle type stool could be an option, as it should help keeping a better upright posture.
I can't speak for your specific case, but until recently I spent quite some time behind a dissection microscope myself. In this time I mostly used one of these saddle stools and found this preferable to a normal chair (which I was forced to use at times).
Can highly recommend trying this change!

AlxndrBrg

Post by AlxndrBrg »

Jittebug wrote:
I can't speak for your specific case, but until recently I spent quite some time behind a dissection microscope myself. In this time I mostly used one of these saddle stools and found this preferable to a normal chair (which I was forced to use at times).
Can highly recommend trying this change!
Thanks for the advice, what model of saddle stool was it? Did it have a back or arm rests?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I have a similar setup on my desk. Tried several chair types, and all gave me problems except a simple office/library chair without arms. The chair does not rotate, and thus without arms I can rotate myself while sitting left or right as needed. I don't know if it would work for you but it's easy to try.

Jittebug

Post by Jittebug »

AlxndrBrg wrote:Thanks for the advice, what model of saddle stool was it? Did it have a back or arm rests?
No arm or back rests, and I don't know about the specific make or model I'm afraid - it was just there :wink:

JB

Post by JB »

I have been struggling with osteoarthritis in the neck for nearly 10 years now resulting in stereo microscopy (entomology) being a real pain.

For me it has been a significant improvement to get variable ErgoTubes on my stereo microscopes, making it possible to keep my neck in a relaxed and very upright position.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic