Rodenstock indus. lenses: Rodagon - Rogonar S - Ysaron Info

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dickb wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:The shooting or actually testing is the easy part, just thread on the right adapter, mount the lens on the setup. Power up the flash and run a stack. Done. :shock:

By far the hardest and most time consuming part? :(

Photographing the lens, spotting all the specks of dust, processing the crops and posting all the results.
I appreciate the clean look of your site, but if it means you test fewer lenses than you otherwise would, my vote in this nonexistent poll goes to more lens testing (even though I own some Apo Rodagon 50s..)
Thanks for the feedback.

50mm test results coming soon.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

I've finished testing the Rogonar-S 3.5/50.

Posted a 2500px sample made at 3x with the Rogonar-S 3.5/50.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=40509

Will update that Rogonar-S 3.5/50 post with test results comparing the Rogonar-S 50 to the APO-Rodagon-N and a 3.5/50 Componon-S lens.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Update Sat Oct 19.

Rodenstock Rodagon 1:5.6 f=43

The aperture disk is threaded into place but is easy to remove with a tool, I used a small metal rule to insert to turn the key remove the disk.

Very easy.

The aperture before was 5.5mm with disk removed it is 11mm.

Planning to test the lens when I get a chance.

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I'm hoping the test turns out well since I went ahead and bought some of these. If not, then with the aperture removed they should make great 7x loupes, so no way to lose!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:I'm hoping the test turns out well since I went ahead and bought some of these. If not, then with the aperture removed they should make great 7x loupes, so no way to lose!

Turns out the disk is easy to remove and doing so will make the lens faster (f/3.9 and f/4.3 in reverse) but...

The 43mm is different than the others, that threaded disk actually holds one element in place so its also a retainer.

The 8/60 Rodagon on the other hand uses a typical flat disk thats easy to pop out (resulting in f/4.28 forward and f/4 in reverse).

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Rodagon 8/60 with and without aperture disk.

This modification is really easy. The disk pops out with a small screwdriver or pair of pliers.

Without the disk the lens measures a f/4.28 forwards and f/4 in reverse.

Notice the shims, be careful not to lose these if you decide to modify the lens.

A quick test just now, sharp and no CAs at f/4 at 2x.

:D

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:I'm hoping the test turns out well since I went ahead and bought some of these. If not, then with the aperture removed they should make great 7x loupes, so no way to lose!
Turns out the disk is easy to remove and doing so will make the lens faster (f/3.9 and f/4.3 in reverse) but...

The 43mm is different than the others, that threaded disk actually holds one element in place so its also a retainer.
Hmm, that's not good news. Maybe the lens can be held in place with epoxy instead of the retaining ring...

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

RobertOToole wrote: The Rodenstock S-3 110mm is excellent as a TL, not so much as a taking lens, but unless you internally mount it, the lack of front threads can be a hassle.
Robert
This is where 3D printer becomes very handy. There would not be some nice test findings if there were no printed adapters. They are not that nice and durable as metal ones but serve the purpose nicely.
I have at hand now Christian's S-3 110mm and will compare it to my reference Agfa 4/107 as a tube lens.
Best,
Mike
All things are number - Pythagoras

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I find the 110mm to work very well as a tube lens.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:I find the 110mm to work very well as a tube lens.
I've had very nice results with the lens also Lou.

The S-3 110 works surprisingly well as a tube lens. I tested it a few times and decided not to post a report on my site at the time but I wish I had. I tried using it recently and forgot the setup I had success with. After some wasted time I figured out that my problem was the orientation. My copy likes to be setup focused at infinity but backwards for best image quality :shock:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Update on the Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35

I decided to go for it and attempt a disk removal on the Rogonar 35. Warning, it took some minor surgery so its not for the timid. :shock:

First I found a small stainless metal pocket rule that slipped perfectly into the key-way on the retainer ring (the more exposed ring). I got lucky. Once the ring was out, a firm tap on the lens and the front element popped out onto a micro-fiber cloth. Another tap and two more groups popped out. Only then I reached the disk. Then I reversed the operation. I used a the pastic end of a micro-screw driver to press each element in to make sure they were seated firmly. Was very careful not to get fingerprints on anything and tightened the ring back up.

Took 2-3 minutes.

Will report back once when I get a chance to test the lens.

Wish me luck.

:shock:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Another update: Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35 Image Quality Sample

Aperture was 3.5mm via stop disk, modified, aperture is now 7mm.

Image sample, 100% view center crop.

Rogonar-S + 90mm Mejiro line scan lens for 2.57x Lens ID label towards subject. Sony A6300. Flash.

Excellent results so far, better than I expected! :D

What do you think?

typestar

Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35

Post by typestar »

RobertOToole wrote:Another update: Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35 Image Quality Sample
Rogonar-S + 90mm Mejiro line scan lens for 2.57x Lens ID label towards subject....
What do you think?
Wow Robert - Thankyou for your testings and you update on this.... lol:

once again a knight in the mystical world of tiny underrated lenses -- Games of (thrones) lenses ... :)

Perhaps the 43 Rogonar-S and the Ysaron 30mm could proof also to climb to the top in this ranking ...

Thanks,

Christian

RobertOToole

Re: Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35

Post by RobertOToole »

typestar wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:Another update: Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35 Image Quality Sample
Rogonar-S + 90mm Mejiro line scan lens for 2.57x Lens ID label towards subject....
What do you think?
Wow Robert - Thankyou for your testings and you update on this.... lol:

once again a knight in the mystical world of tiny underrated lenses -- Games of (thrones) lenses ... :)

Perhaps the 43 Rogonar-S and the Ysaron 30mm could proof also to climb to the top in this ranking ...

Thanks,

Christian
Late last night I ran a stack with the 35 Rogonar to check the corners, and it just covers the corners on APS-C at 2.6x :D

The image quality is excellent, very little CAs, no issues at all.

Another little industrial lens that performs better than most enlarger lenses that I've tried, and when I say most I mean about 95%.

The 43mm is not going to be easy :)

Looking forward to testing the 30mm Ysaron!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Christian.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

RobertOToole wrote:

The 8/60 Rodagon on the other hand uses a typical flat disk thats easy to pop out (resulting in f/4.28 forward and f/4 in reverse).

Robert
Oct 25th Update on the Rodagon 43mm

It turns out that the aperture disk is soft aluminum. I had planned to use a dremel hand-tool but it was easy to open up the ID by hand with a countersink bit.

The modified disk takes the aperture from f/5.4 to f/3.8. The same measurement as without the disk or wide open.

The photo was made before I blackened the bare metal edges.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic