SWEBO focusing rail

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

That swebo retails for $97, whichever seller on Amazon is marking it up astronomically. I'm sceptical towards their 0.01mm claim also.

Swebo is a company that simply puts stuff together, they offer micrometer driven rails at high prices which are nothing but an off the shelf translation stage plus an arca clamp, something that can be made yourself for 500 yuan or so, which they want 800 for.

You should look into building your own, it's pretty cheap and simple. I can provide the parts list if you're interested. I even made a video on it.

chdphoto

Post by chdphoto »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:That swebo retails for $97, whichever seller on Amazon is marking it up astronomically. I'm sceptical towards their 0.01mm claim also.

Swebo is a company that simply puts stuff together, they offer micrometer driven rails at high prices which are nothing but an off the shelf translation stage plus an arca clamp, something that can be made yourself for 500 yuan or so, which they want 800 for.

You should look into building your own, it's pretty cheap and simple. I can provide the parts list if you're interested. I even made a video on it.

good thing about amazon, is I can send it back easily, it will be here in a couple of days and will post my results with it.

Please feel free to send me any info on a DIY version,

I just want an option for learning this system before moving up to a higher than 5x and going to a motorized version.

thanks for any help and information.
Kevin

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

chdphoto wrote: good thing about amazon, is I can send it back easily, it will be here in a couple of days and will post my results with it.

I just want an option for learning this system before moving up to a higher than 5x and going to a motorized version.

Yeah you're right about Amazon. Here's my DIY video for a stage that does 1um, it is more expensive than $125 or the Amazon markup, but I think it's a better option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHSsmG0JaVg

I might get that Swebo myself for testing.

The blue one offers 0.01mm, as they claim. There's a red version that offers 0.04mm, as they claim.

The blue one is 890 yuan which is $126, so I will rescind what I said, didn't read properly. The red one is the $97 one. However, it's still marked up by a lot.

The blue one is offered as an X-Y stage for 1690 yuan, 45 yuan off each for singular units. If you're keen, I can go ahead and buy the XY set and send you one of them after verifying it works. Catch is, I don't want to lose money, just breakeven. Shipping from Australia will be $25 or so. If not, I'll get a single unit for myself. $150 VS $179 with free returns if you don't like it... I'd personally take the latter if I was you.

The Kirk one does look nice, but it's $311, a lot. Not sure about the resolution, but based on their webstore, it should be easily calculable. I should be in bed since it's 4am, so I'll leave it to others!
https://www.kirkphoto.com/rails/focusing-rail-fr-2.html
The FR-2 focusing stage from KES has been totally redesigned and re-engineered. The new rail is stronger, tougher, and more precise.

Super fine camera to subject focusing is achieved by the .042 per revolution stainless steel lead screw. The lead screw adjustment range is 4.250 in with a lead screw pitch of 5/16 in x 24.

Rough positioning can be done in one of two ways, by pressing the stage release lever on the FR-2 rail or by loosening the quick release clamp on the tripod head and sliding the rail in the jaws of the quick release.

Mounted on the FR-2 is a KES 2.6 inch quick release plate that can rotate 360 degrees at 90 degrees intervals to allow you to mount a camera body or a collared lens. If geared linear motion, in both the X an Y axes is trying to be achieved, a second FR-2 can be stacked to achieve this or use thE SRS-7 slide rail.

This focusing rail is perfect for macro nature, panorama, and commercial photography.

All materials used are aluminum or stainless steel and the FR-2 is completely machined and assembled in the USA.

FEATURES

Arca style dovetail extends the full length of the FR-2 rail. The rail also offers industry standard 1/4-20 tripod sockets.
The KES FR-2 rail has a standard knob style quick release that can easily be rotated to accommodate a camera body or collared lens
Fine adjustments are made with the stainless steel lead screw by turning the knobs at either end of the rail
Large adjustments are made by pushing the stage release lever
All parts are precision cnc machined in the USA from 6061T6 aluminum and high grade stainless steel
SPECIFICATIONS

Overall Length: 8.624 in
Width: 2.500 in
Height: 2.250 in
Weight:22 oz
Lead screw adjustment range 4.250
Stage travel per revolution of lead screw is .042
Lead screw thread pitch 5/16 in x 24

chdphoto

Post by chdphoto »

I already ordered the blue one, I was ok with the price.

My Canon 65mm mp-e Lens just arrived so lots of testing to do coming up.

thanks for the offer though.

lots of things to work through on setup equipment, stages and lights.
Kevin

chdphoto

Post by chdphoto »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
chdphoto wrote: good thing about amazon, is I can send it back easily, it will be here in a couple of days and will post my results with it.

Yeah you're right about Amazon. Here's my DIY video for a stage that does 1um, it is more expensive than $125 or the Amazon markup, but I think it's a better option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHSsmG0JaVg

I might get that Swebo myself for testing.

The blue one offers 0.01mm, as they claim. There's a red version that offers 0.04mm, as they claim.

The blue one is 890 yuan which is $126, so I will rescind what I said, didn't read properly. The red one is the $97 one. However, it's still marked up by a lot.

The blue one is offered as an X-Y stage for 1690 yuan, 45 yuan off each for singular units. If you're keen, I can go ahead and buy the XY set and send you one of them after verifying it works. Catch is, I don't want to lose money, just breakeven. Shipping from Australia will be $25 or so. If not, I'll get a single unit for myself. $150 VS $179 with free returns if you don't like it... I'd personally take the latter if I was you.

The Kirk one does look nice, but it's $311, a lot. Not sure about the resolution, but based on their webstore, it should be easily calculable. I should be in bed since it's 4am, so I'll leave it to others!
https://www.kirkphoto.com/rails/focusing-rail-fr-2.html

p.s. really like you flickr gallery, really great images. thanks for sharing
Kevin

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

Is it just me or did the SWEBO increase in price? I swear it was $99 or so and now I see $160+
- Cam

chdphoto

Post by chdphoto »

kaleun96 wrote:Is it just me or did the SWEBO increase in price? I swear it was $99 or so and now I see $160+
A little higher in the USA, but only one I could find like it.
Kevin

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

kaleun96 wrote:Is it just me or did the SWEBO increase in price? I swear it was $99 or so and now I see $160+
I think what you saw was the red one which they claim has a resolution of 0.04mm=40um rather than 0.01mm=10um which is coloured blue. I made that mistake too.

$99 is closer to the retail price of the red one, which is $97. Pretty fair markup, shipping from China isn't always cheap.

BTW, China imposed a 25% tax on raw aluminium, many American companies such as Thorlabs and Newport have since relayed this cost to the customers. Thorlabs parts are a lot more expensive now, ~5-10% increase in price on certain stuff.
chdphoto wrote: p.s. really like you flickr gallery, really great images. thanks for sharing
:D :D Glad you liked it! I'll get back to more macro/micro when I have more free time.

chdphoto

Post by chdphoto »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
I think what you saw was the red one which they claim has a resolution of 0.04mm=40um rather than 0.01mm=10um which is coloured blue. I made that mistake too.

$99 is closer to the retail price of the red one, which is $97. Pretty fair markup, shipping from China isn't always cheap.

BTW, China imposed a 25% tax on raw aluminium, many American companies such as Thorlabs and Newport have since relayed this cost to the customers. Thorlabs parts are a lot more expensive now, ~5-10% increase in price on certain stuff.
chdphoto wrote: p.s. really like you flickr gallery, really great images. thanks for sharing
:D :D Glad you liked it! I'll get back to more macro/micro when I have more free time.
I think this will give me a good starter rail until I learn what I'm doing.

solid concepts and workflow are important.
Kevin

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

If you are prepared to do some work then a microscope focus block is your best bet; accurate to 2 microns.
I see an Olympus block on ebay for $65.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BH2-BH ... SwTyxdAM4i
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

chdphoto

Post by chdphoto »

NikonUser wrote:If you are prepared to do some work then a microscope focus block is your best bet; accurate to 2 microns.
I see an Olympus block on ebay for $65.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BH2-BH ... SwTyxdAM4i
thanks for the info!
Kevin

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I can't speak too highly of the Wemacro.

I work nights. It's very convenient for me to be able to set up a 200-300 deep stack and go to bed. When I get up, I just have to pull the card and import the images into Elements for post, export them as tiffs and run them through Zerene. If flashes can't keep up, I just extend the time between exposures.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I think you will be better off using an old DVC/CD drive.
Here is a video on now to do it. Sorry did not mean to show off my own stuff, but you do need a good controller with adjustable power settings and fine micro-stepping. I believe (I do not have it) StackShot controller can do the job as well. Current should be set to less than 0.625A, I set it to 0.5A, else the motor will run hot. I think it is perfect for magnification under 5X.

Just my two cents.

JohnDownie

New? 2 Speed Swebo

Post by JohnDownie »

Either this could be nice for field work where there were occasional smaller targets, or a tweener that does neither the rose nor the raisin well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32959214487.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic