Condensers, Nikon Labophot vs. Labophot 2--any difference?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Condensers, Nikon Labophot vs. Labophot 2--any difference?

Post by Chris S. »

I have a bunch of parts from Nikon Labophot 2 microscopes, and have been thinking about assembling some of them into a functioning microscope. For example, I have some nice stands, a clean trinoc head, eyepieces, and a few good objectives. What I lack (if I understand correctly) is a lamp house, subject stage, and condenser. Forum member Saul is developing a nice lamp house for this stand, and there are subject stages on eBay. So what I'm wondering about is a condenser.

While I have experience in using open, home-built macro rigs up to 100x, I know little about traditional microscopes.

On eBay, I see a number of Nikon Abbe 1.25 condensers. Those labeled "Labophot 2" are priced higher than condensers labeled "Labophot" (presumably for the earlier Labophot, now thought of as "Labophot 1"). But to my eye (perhaps not very observant), all these condensers look alike. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between these two groups of condensers?

And more fundamentally, are any of these condensers what I really want? I'll certainly want to acquire an apochromatic oil immersion objective of around 100x with high NA. Will these condensers get the best out of such an optic? If not, what condenser should I be looking at?

(BTW, I'm not entirely convinced that undertaking this project is a good idea. If I do assemble a working Labophot 2 microscope, the temptation will immediately begin to upgrade its optics. I have a very nice 4x/0.20 apo objective, as well as quite good 10x/0.30 N plan objectives. As mentioned, I'd like an apo oil-immersion objective around 100x. And in-between, apo-objectives would surely beckon. As would DIC, not to mention fluorescence. It's a slippery slope; what looks at present like assembling parts I have to a higher purpose, given purchase of a few additional components, could easily become a money pit.)

Thanks for any advice,

--Chris S.

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

I can't help with the specific Labophot question but if you are going to go for a full-strength 100x Apo objective (and why wouldn't you) then Nikon do make up to 1.4 N.A. Apo condensers (certainly for Optiphot and Eclipse series).

I believe that for maxium performance, these should also be immersion-oiled on the underside of the slide - to the condenser (as well as on top - to the objective) and this tends to be a messy business. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this (I couldn't even get a straight answer from the Nikon UK technical department on this one).

Whether it's worth the cost/hassle of these higher N.A. condensers is debatable.

In my experience on the Eclipse models, the 10x and 20x Apos are superb and good value for money. The 40x and 60x are also superb but more expensive and don't get used that much - obviously if you have a specific subject in this range then it is a different story. The 100x Apo is worth having and it produces excellent results compared to Achromats or Fluorites and gets used a lot.
As would DIC
Finding DIC parts for Nikon in the UK is very difficult and expensive - there just aren't a lot about. I'm sure it's easier in the US. However, it might be worth buying a ready-to-go DIC system with matched objectives/prisms if you want to go down this route.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Chris,

Do you know this website? http://www.prc68.com/I/Labophot.html

The Labophot, Labophot-2 and Optiphot-2 condensers are interchangable as far as I know. The binocular and trinocular heads are also interchangable (tested).

You can use the NA 1.25 and 1.4 condensers dry, but you only get the benefits of the high NA (and achromatic correction of the NA 1.4) when you do immersion of the condenser front lens (water or glycerol are good enough). If you don't want to use condenser immersion, the Achromat NA 0.9 condenser is great.

Nikon had a CFN Planapo 60/1.40, CF Planapo 100/1.35 and CFN Planapo 100/1.40, all of which are very good objectives (there was no non-plan apo 100 and I wouldn't recommend them at high magnification anyway).

For DIC, you need to install an intermediate tube above the nosepiece. https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=35853 It doesn't look as if that's mechanically possible on a Labophot 2. The manual doesn't mention it either. You also need a bright light source. So eventually, you might have to move up to an Optiphot if you want DIC.

Regards, Ichty

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Pitufo and Ichthyophthirius,

Thanks to you both for your helpful insights! :D I apologize for taking so long to respond; I wanted to thoroughly pour over each of your suggestions.
Ichthyophthirius wrote:Do you know this website? http://www.prc68.com/I/Labophot.html
Prior to your posting, I did not know this website. And what a treasure it is—a ton of good information that took me a while to read and think about. So while I’ve given it considerable time and learned a lot, I intend to give it still more time in hopes of learning more. Thanks, Ichthyophthirius!

A particularly helpful takeaway from your posts and that Website is that most of the condensers I've been looking at will work fine in a Labophot 2. So I can purchase an inexpensive condenser for immediate work, and look to add another for oil work later, if needed.

Your helpful comments deserve more specific response. But for the present: Many thanks! I’ll continue to look carefully at all this.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic