Pictures of New Rig

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Pictures of New Rig

Post by Deanimator »

Here are a few quick pictures of the new rig in vertical mode.

The new diffusion mechanism seems to be working out very well. I can add more layers of styrofoam sheet as necessary.

I finally have three strobes and all are working wirelessly.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Very cool. I like the solid-looking attachment of the stepper rail to the column. It doesn't look like it will move around much.

It might not be too important, but having things inside the light tent like the green clamps could adversely affect the white balance due to re-reflection. In my coin photography groups, folks often try to use light tents to increase diffusion, and they will sometimes get off-colors due to re-reflection. The best solution seems to be to put up a mask (usually black construction paper) around the lower part of the tent to keep re-reflection from happening. Not only does the re-reflection potentially cause color-skew, but the extra diffusion caused by re-reflection can greatly reduce shadow detail and thus apparent loss of sharpness.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Very cool. I like the solid-looking attachment of the stepper rail to the column. It doesn't look like it will move around much.

It might not be too important, but having things inside the light tent like the green clamps could adversely affect the white balance due to re-reflection. In my coin photography groups, folks often try to use light tents to increase diffusion, and they will sometimes get off-colors due to re-reflection. The best solution seems to be to put up a mask (usually black construction paper) around the lower part of the tent to keep re-reflection from happening. Not only does the re-reflection potentially cause color-skew, but the extra diffusion caused by re-reflection can greatly reduce shadow detail and thus apparent loss of sharpness.
There may be something to what you say, since there have been instances of green reflections in some of the images. However, this is somewhat obfuscated by the fact that the reflectors for my studio lamps are made from green (the only color I could get in the right size) plastic waste baskets lined with metallic tape. I'm pretty sure those were showing up as reflections rather than the clamps, given their relative sizes. With the new diffuser, the reflectors are no longer visible to the camera.

Still, removing potential color contamination is a good idea. Some time when I'm off and it's not raining, I ought to paint the reflectors black, and do something about the clips, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Good you're happy...
would be nice to have a wider / complete view...

can you provide the name / SKU for that part Ray is mentioning?. I suppose it's the same that is bellow the elevator in the horizontal beam...
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Great looking setup, well done!! The vertical sliding clamp looks really nice and massive, details please.

The angle brackets on either side of the 40mm vertical appear not directly attached to the bar. Directly attaching them will improve stiffness. Also, tap the vertical bar center hole and use a very long bolt and large washer coming up from the base, this also improves stiffness. The Wemacro Vertical Stand now has this "extra hole" in the base just for this, got it from here :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:Great looking setup, well done!! The vertical sliding clamp looks really nice and massive, details please.

The angle brackets on either side of the 40mm vertical appear not directly attached to the bar. Directly attaching them will improve stiffness. Also, tap the vertical bar center hole and use a very long bolt and large washer coming up from the base, this also improves stiffness. The Wemacro Vertical Stand now has this "extra hole" in the base just for this, got it from here :D

Best,
The angle brackets are attached to the horizontal beam. A bolt binds them together around the vertical bar.

I'm not clear on the configuration of the bolt and hole to which you refer.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote:Great looking setup, well done!! The vertical sliding clamp looks really nice and massive, details please.

Best,
A simpler (in some ways) approach is to put a long threaded rod through the whole column. No need to tap.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Yawns wrote:Good you're happy...

can you provide the name / SKU for that part Ray is mentioning?. I suppose it's the same that is bellow the elevator in the horizontal beam...

If you're referring to the linear bearing on which the Wemacro is mounted it's this, available from 80/20 Inc.

40 Series 3 Slot Mount - Double Flange Long Standard Linear Bearing with Brake Holes Linear Bearing 40-6526 $66.55

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Deanimator wrote:

Best,
The angle brackets are attached to the horizontal beam. A bolt binds them together around the vertical bar.

I'm not clear on the configuration of the bolt and hole to which you refer.
This would come in from the bottom base and up into the vertical 40mm bar center hole. Here's an example I used on the Wemacro Vertical Stand, I drilled a hole in the stand base, tapped the vertical bar and used a long 4" bolt with large washer. Total cost is $1~2.

William at Wemacro has added the hole in the base now for his Vertical Stands and switched to the Misumi 40mm bars.

Also, consider Ray's idea of running about running the bolt all the way thru the vertical bar. This won't work on the Wemacro Vertical Stand tho. This stand utilizes a cross thru means to directly mount the focus rail or long ARCA clamp (to hold the focus rail), and has 2 or 3 bolts that go thru the vertical bar horizontally and pass thru the center hole.

Best,

Vertical Stand (above in image)

Note bolt and washer on Vertical Stand base underside.
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:This would come in from the bottom base and up into the vertical 40mm bar center hole. Here's an example I used on the Wemacro Vertical Stand, I drilled a hole in the stand base, tapped the vertical bar and used a long 4" bolt with large washer. Total cost is $1~2.
I thought that's what you meant, but I wasn't certain.

Due to the fact that I had to do all of the machine work myself and didn't have the skills to be accurate, I elected to base everything off of the horizontal beam, which is always present for horizontal or vertical use.

If you notice, the vertical beam is mounted ON the horizontal beam, making the structure independent of the accuracy of holes drilled in the plate, which in fact are cocked slightly off of centerline.

A man has to know his limitations, and this project definitely taught me mine.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yes, see that now.

Best,
~Mike

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Deanimator wrote:

If you're referring to the linear bearing on which the Wemacro is mounted it's this, available from 80/20 Inc.

40 Series 3 Slot Mount - Double Flange Long Standard Linear Bearing with Brake Holes Linear Bearing 40-6526 $66.55
Yes .. that's one. Thank you very much.
I see it's for T-Slot. I'm looking for info to check if it compatible with V-Slot. (but I suspect it's not)
Would like to include it in my next project (still waiting for the parts to arrive)
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Yawns wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Yes .. that's one. Thank you very much.
I see it's for T-Slot. I'm looking for info to check if it compatible with V-Slot. (but I suspect it's not)
Would like to include it in my next project (still waiting for the parts to arrive)
Once I decided on 80/20 T-slot, I stopped looking at V-slot components. I think I saw similar things, but I recall them mostly being for repetitive motion, and not so much static positioning. I'm not sure I saw anything with a brake mechanism. But as I said, I didn't look that hard. You may find something.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I was trying to keep the bodies and burning wreckage out of the shot, which I mostly did.

The living room looks like the aftermath of the Battle of Kursk. Once I get most of the junk stored or thrown out, I'll take better pictures of the mount and the table in general.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Deanimator wrote:

This looks really nice, except they state on 80/20 that " All 80/20 bearings are designed for compression loads only and not intended to support hanging loads." Not sure what this means regarding using it vertically and they don't provide any specs I could find.

Did you verify that this linear bearing can support vertical loads, and to what amount?

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic