Cognisys

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

proullard

Cognisys

Post by proullard »

Is anyone using the Cognisys stacking system?

I bought the 3X StackShot system for stacking photography. It works very well for macro stacking solutions. Couple that system with Helicon focus remote and you have one heck of a system. The Helicon remote allows you to control all of the functions of the camera with your computer, plus you have live view so you can see what you are doing real time on your computer screen. The StackShot is controlled with a USB tether cable directly to the camera. I use the system in my volunteer work at the museum where I take LOTS of images for use by the curator of entomology.

I also just purchased a small 16x16x16x16 Pro Master Still Life Studio light box which I haven't tried yet, but I think will be very effective for lighting insects. It uses two strips of LED lights for lighting with a reflective interior.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I'm using it, yes the controller is advanced yet comprehensive. It has to be with that kind of a pricetag. I do find the lack of mounting options on the rail annoying, that $69 arca adapter plate is pretty much a must.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Quite a few of us use StackShot for focus stacking, sometimes with the rail from Cognisys and sometimes using the StackShot controller and stepper motor to automate some other focusing device such as a microscope focus block.

Quick search of the forum finds "StackShot" mentioned in 1087 threads, dating back to 2010.

In addition to Helicon Remote, there's a StackShot controller built into Zerene Stacker that has received good reviews.

Regarding the ProMaster Still Life Studio light box, we'll certainly be interested in a report. It appears designed to surround the subject on all sides except the front, so if this is for use in your high volume application, I'll be especially interested to hear how the subject handling works out.

--Rik

Phil973

Cognisys stacking system

Post by Phil973 »

I use it daily for years. Now part of system including Fuji XT2 / PB6 / and a bunch of lenses with a external monitor. Along the years I simplify a lot my workflow and I can say today, simplicity.....is divinity..... :D Shooting now on the good days 15/20k pictures. The Cognisys stacking system give me so far complete satisfaction, I use it to move the subject, no the camera, this solution is by far more accurate on my context.

Not saying here this is the way to do but yes this is the way i do it and it works fine for my needs

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Phil,

My Bratcam uses a StackShot controller to drive a stepper-motor equipped microscope focus block. Works very well. I found the folks at Cognisys great to work with; they gave me lots of advice and help.

I remotely control my camera with ControlMyNikon, and compose/review images on the screen of an older and inexpensive laptop computer dedicated to the Bratcam. Just downloaded a trial of Capture One Pro, which claims to remotely control quite a few cameras. I have Zerene Stacker on the Bratcam computer for stack acquisition (as well as on a modern, high-powered computer for subsequent stacking), so I when acquiring stacked images, I can choose between using Zerene’s StackShot controller or the buttons on the StackShot controller. If I were a new user of the StackShot, I’d likely prefer communicating with the StackShot controller through Zerene Stacker, as Zerene Stacker offers a more straightforward interface. But as I had my StackShot controller quite a while before Zerene Stacker added these features, I got used to pressing buttons on the StackShot controller itself to change settings, so more often tend to go that route.

Must admit I’m skeptical about the Pro Master Still Life Studio light box for your purpose, though I’ve no experience with one. In your shoes, I’d think strongly about trying an approach pioneered by Sam Droege for high-throughput insect photography; he drops a polystyrene cooler over the subject, and has a pair of flashes that bounce light around the inside of the cooler. Vitally important: Direct, unbounced light from the flashes is blocked from hitting the subject (easy to do). Droege's approach appears simple and quick to use, and the results look very good. (Looking just now, I see that the Sam Droege pdf also happens to feature a Cognisys StackShot controller and rail.)

--Chris S.
Last edited by Chris S. on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Wow, that box is $199?!

It's just a white labelled generic Chinese product photography box that sells for about 500 yuan which is less than $100.

You can easily make your own with cardboard, reflective material taken from those sunlight shades made for cars. If you want rigidity, use pipes instead. It's not worth the money, I do not recommend wasting that $199. With pipes, you can easily disassemble and take the setup with you, better than cardboard boxes.

Also the problem with these boxes is controllability. I started out using one. The light is flat, boring, and the results are pretty much identical to one another. It also uses LEDs which I cannot trust.

Spectrum sensitivity of light sources:
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=40372

The advantage of such products is rapid creation of photos used for online catalogues, that's it. That's what I use mine for, dirty and fast shooting. A light tent is cheaper and gives a bit more control, it can also act as a windshield in the field.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic