Comparing macro lenses using MTF-Part IX: Some budget lenses

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Miljenko

Comparing macro lenses using MTF-Part IX: Some budget lenses

Post by Miljenko »

Out of 6 lenses Filip have sent for lab testing, three are affordable microscope objectives: two infinite GF Panachromats made by Zeiss from Jena and one finite Chinese „knurled ring“ Amscope.
Zeiss objectives were not tested using 250mm tube lens as recommended by manufacturer; Nikon 200mm f4 AiS was used instead. This brought two advantages: measurements were slightly better and objectives could be directly compared to my old faithful infinite Nikons, CFI LU Plan 5x N.A. 0.15 and CF Plan 10x N.A. 0.30 EPI.
For a start working distances were checked. Those were 16.5mm for Zeiss 6.3x (at actual 5x), 9mm for Zeiss 12.5x (at actual 10x) and 14.5mm for Amscope mounted on 150mm tube.
Later could be extended to 16.5mm if external shell is removed, and all the way to 29mm if you dare to machine out tube-like front part.
Zeiss GF Panachromat 6.3x N.A. 0.12 was a bit dissapointing when it comes to resolution, expecially if you consider it was measured at 5x instead of 6.3x: only 1300 LW/PH at center and 1240 at the APS-C edge. CA area was modest at 0.44 pixels; visible but easy to remove. Comparable Nikon CFI LU Plan 5x N.A. 0.15 provides no less than 60% higher resolution both in center and at the edge. Yes, it costs twice as much but at $185 as advertized on Ebay these days it is still a bargain.

In contrast to it's little brother, Zeiss GF Panachromat 12.5x N.A. 0.25 produced much better results even in absolute numbers. Considering it's two times higher magnification, it's resoution figures of 1460 LW/PH at center and 1310 at the edge looks very respectable. Only a bit excessive CA at 0.82 pixels spoil the general picture. If converting from raw in Capture One, tool for killing CA works just fine and can cope nicelly with such high values. Again infinite Nikon gives some higher values but only 20% more instead of 60% seen above. Considering much lower price for Zeiss GF, it turns out to be a solid bargain agains Nikon.

Third contender here is well known „knurled ring“ Amscope, one of dozens of 4x Chinese lenses sold on Ebay and other places. Urban legend says it performs much better than it's bargain price suggests. So lets see: Central resolution is 1570 LW/PH which falls to not impressive 1170 at the edge. In absolute numbers all of this might not sound shabby untill competition comes into picture. Which is similary priced Russian Lomo 3.7x N.A. 0.11. Although it's production ceased some time ago, it is still widely available on Ebay for about $50. I have tested few samples and all of them produce excellent resolution on 150mm tubes: Over 2100 LW/PH in center and 1900 at the edges. Even CA is very low at 0.17, about 4 times lower than Amscope. When the plain tube is swapped for 150mm tube lens, Lomo performs even better.

Although Lomo was my favorite 4x objective for some time, simple tube lens scaling down provided much better solution: previously mentioned Nikon CFI LU Plan 5x N.A. 0.15 when relayed via vintage Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm f5.6 gives 3.75x magnification and exceptional resolution.
At center you get 2317 LW/PH and 2276 LW/PH at APS-C edges. Mitty 5x might be even better but untill I finaly buy one or some good soul decides to borrow me one, I wouldn't know! Similar to Amscope objective, LU Plan doesn't shine when it comes to CA, but as said previously, this drawback is solved easily.

So here are all the numbers aligned into one simple spreadsheet making it easier to compare. If you put it side by side to my previously published measurements, you'll notice how the latest figures dropped significantly below 1x - 3x magnification range lenses. This is because microscope lense work deeply into difraction zone. If you leave convolution presharpening at the same standard level used for ordinary lenses, you won't get same sharpness. This is why I have established different sharpening figures for each and every high magnification lens/objective I use for stacking. But that is a topic for another ocassion...
Next time: Filip's scanner lenses.
All things are number - Pythagoras

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I suppose it isn't surprising that the zeiss objectives underperform a bit, since they are missing some compensating optics. Not sure how much that would affect resolution, though, vs just CA.
I wonder how much variability you would find if you tried 10 or 100 of those amscope objectives.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Please remind me...what is the Nyquist limit for your test system?

Also, what contrast level are you reporting?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Scarodactyl wrote:I suppose it isn't surprising that the zeiss objectives underperform a bit, since they are missing some compensating optics. Not sure how much that would affect resolution, though, vs just CA.
I wonder how much variability you would find if you tried 10 or 100 of those amscope objectives.
Not 100% sure but I think that later Zeiss Jena infinite CF objectives meant for use with 250mmm TL do not need corrective eyepieces and so they are "full corrected" in the same sense of Nikon CFs
Pau

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Please remind me...what is the Nyquist limit for your test system?

Also, what contrast level are you reporting?
It is 128lp/mm (24x16 mm sensor with 6000x4000 resolution).
Contrast level is standardized for quite some time with MTF testing at 50%. Once in the age od visual testing (using USAF1951 charts or similar) 10-30% contrast was im order but different with each tester. Contrast ratio can be set at will in Imatest to any valute between 0 and 99%, of course.
Last edited by Miljenko on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

I have only one notes. In results you marked Zeiss objectives like Apochromatic, but they are Planachromatic.
Thank you for tests!
canon EOS *

kutilka

Post by kutilka »

Pau wrote:
Not 100% sure but I think that later Zeiss Jena infinite CF objectives meant for use with 250mmm TL do not need corrective eyepieces and so they are "full corrected" in the same sense of Nikon CFs
http://www.funsci.com/fun3_it/sini/mo/o ... _zeiss.pdf

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

You are right, Filip! I was preparing text on two PCs in paralel. I published the table from the wrong one. Fortunately, figures are correct. Sorry about that.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Interesting comparison :smt023
Chris R

Miljenko

Three scanner lenses

Post by Miljenko »

Next 3 lenses Filip has send me for testing are very different scaner optics.

The smallest one was taken from Minolta Dimage Dual Scan (F-2400). I have measured it as 33mm f/5.6. Tested it both direction, reverse orientation gives slightly higher center resolution but figures at the edge are useless. So the groove should be oriented towards object. I have tested it at magnifications from 2x to 4x and it didn't really perform good at those extremes. Sweet spot is at 3x (3.2x as tested) and again better figures were obtained when paired with the lens tube instead of plain extension. I have again used my Agfa 107mm f/4 tube lens comming from Agfa scanner. Figures measured are just average when compared to previously tested 3x lenses: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=
This is not unexpected since it is declared as 2400dpi and that is close to what I did get from this lens: 1857 LW/PH at center and 1266 LW/PH at the APS-C edge with pretty high CA at 0.51 pixels area.

The next lens in this sequel is flatbed scanner part from Fujitsu FI-4340C. It measures 36mm F.L. with f/5.0 aperture. I’ve tested it at 2x to 4x magnifications and this one likes 3x only which was achieved using Agfa 107mm tube lens. Since it is pulled out of 600dpi scanner, at center it performs better than expected: 1742 LW/PH. However, at the edge it is closer to what is enough for low res flatbed scanner: 1113 LW/PH. Interestingly enough, chromatic aberration (area) is exceptionally low at 0.034 pixels. Proper orientation is wider side towards tube lens and camera. Mounting on pure extension tubes gives again lower resolutions (and C.A. as well) then with tube lens.

Third lens is one strange beast made of plastics. Both Filip and I don’t have a clue where it comes from. Maybe someone can give a tip for closer id. It measures 41mm by 35mm diameter. Focal length is 72mm and aperture f/5.3. The lens was tested in both directions and using extension tubes as well as tube lens. Center resolution at 1x was very good but the edges were not near as sharp. At 3x the resolution is nothing to write home about. The sweet spot is 2x and when paired with Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm f/5.6 as the tube lens it provides very fine figures. When compared with other 2x lenses in my 2018. series (https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=), it might not look the best but it is on par with Rodenstock Apo Rodagon D 75mm f/4.5, one pretty expensive and specialized lens. Resolution measured were 2391 and 2465 LW/PH respectively with well controlled CA area at 0.27 pixels. But here comes the best part: this lens has nicely shaped MTF curve which calls for stronger pre-sharpening. I will deal with default vs. tailored sharpening topic during raw conversion in one separate post but for now let me just state that higher than standard sharpening is necessary with all the lenses working in diffraction range in order to get better final results and help stacking software to do it’s thing. When default Capture One sharpening for Fuji is raised from 140/0.8 to 900/0.4, resolution jumps to figures equaling X-T2 sensor figures (6000 x 4000 pixels). A good news for this lens’ owner and for all who manage to find another one on Ebay or elsewhere.

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

It seems that tests are done.
Overall, I am satisfied with the tests.
GF PA 12,5x - result corresponds with my experience with this objective.
GF PA 6,3x - Im little bit disappointed with result. I have expected better result because I have good experience with objective.
Amscope 4x - Again Im disappointed with result because in past was presented like a big supprise, but result does not match with reality.
Plastic barrel beast - it looks that someone has nice solution for 2x, it is nice supprise :)
Tests confirmed me again, that is important to do objective measurement and no to do subjective rating.
Miljenko thank you for testing!
canon EOS *

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

Filip, I'm glad you find my MTF tests useful. I believe you are dissapointed with some results and have feeling those lenses/objectives produce fine pictures. And they will untill you find something better. That's how it goes in this hobby!
I thank you for doing this effort and expense for sending me lenses for testing. I believe it was useful and fun for both of us. Lenses are already packed and will part to you tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know the tracking number in p.m..
Best regards, Miljenko

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic