CANON EOS M6 Mark II

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Cam,

Glad you've discovered the controller profile motion control mode and have it working, that's all I've been using with the Trinamic devices once I got them to operate early last year. It's way better than Step and Dir control, hopefully others will give them a try in this mode.

I got a surface mounting kit awhile back since many of the components I work with are SMD types, so shouldn't have a problem with the setup. Can't recall the StepStick V1.4 layout, is there a SMD resistor, maybe an 0603 or 0805 type?

For folks that don't want to fiddle with this, you can get the TMC5160 BOB or TMC5130 BOB which are under $25 here in US. These have all the necessary pins brought out and comes setup for motion control mode I recall.

If/when I can get a StepStick V1.4 I might get a 3 axis controller PCB. I've got the schematic and layout done, but need to check things out before releasing the PCB for fabrication.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

pierre

CANON EOS M6 Mark II

Post by pierre »

Nice setup 8)

BTW, did you are planning to replace your EOS M3 by the M6MarkII ?
Regards

Pierre

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

mawyatt wrote: I got a surface mounting kit awhile back since many of the components I work with are SMD types, so shouldn't have a problem with the setup. Can't recall the StepStick V1.4 layout, is there a SMD resistor, maybe an 0603 or 0805 type?
Yeah couple of SMD resistors on there. Let me know if you'd like me to take a photo, particularly of the pad for SD_MODE.
mawyatt wrote: If/when I can get a StepStick V1.4 I might get a 3 axis controller PCB. I've got the schematic and layout done, but need to check things out before releasing the PCB for fabrication.
Don't you already have a 3-axis PCB manufactured? Or does it 4-axis and you just use it for 3? I also have this on my roadmap as at the moment I have a separate controller for my Y and Z axes.

One of the TMC boards you use can support two axes each right? That might be the way to go to help save on space and make the PCB layout easier.
- Cam

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

kaleun96 wrote:
mawyatt wrote: I got a surface mounting kit awhile back since many of the components I work with are SMD types, so shouldn't have a problem with the setup. Can't recall the StepStick V1.4 layout, is there a SMD resistor, maybe an 0603 or 0805 type?
Yeah couple of SMD resistors on there. Let me know if you'd like me to take a photo, particularly of the pad for SD_MODE.
mawyatt wrote: If/when I can get a StepStick V1.4 I might get a 3 axis controller PCB. I've got the schematic and layout done, but need to check things out before releasing the PCB for fabrication.
Don't you already have a 3-axis PCB manufactured? Or does it 4-axis and you just use it for 3? I also have this on my roadmap as at the moment I have a separate controller for my Y and Z axes.

One of the TMC boards you use can support two axes each right? That might be the way to go to help save on space and make the PCB layout easier.
Yes I have single, dual, triple and quad axis controller all with custom PCBs. The singles use Trinamic 5130, 5160 and 5161 BOB devices, the dual a 5072 BOB device, triple a 5130 & 5072 BOB devices and the quad is dual 5072 BOB devices. I had tried the StepStick 5160 V1.3 with the 5072 for triple axis when I found out about the forced Step/Dir mode...after I had the PCBs designed and built :oops:

So now I have the revised PCBs ready for the StepStick V1.4 if/when I decide to get these fabricated.

One reason I was interested in the StepStick was the smaller footprint but with the higher current of the 5160, this allowed a triple axis controller with the 5072 for X and Y and the high current StepStick for Z. I already have a triple axis based upon the 5130 & 5072, but the 5130 doesn't handle the higher current of the 5160, thus my interest in the StepStick 5160 & 5072 version since the 5160 BOB is too big and won't fit with the 5072 BOB.

Anyway, I have just about every possible configuration of the 5130, 5160 & 5072 BOBs that can be supported on the RPi SCI bus. I don't use the 5161 much, they are more expensive and don't do anything special except have a higher on-chip current capability, about the same as the 5160 BOB gets with the 4 off-chip MOS devices, but the 5160 BOB is ~ 1/2 the cost.....so much for integration!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Pierre,
did you are planning to replace your EOS M3 by the M6MarkII
Yes, but I have been waiting for the R5 :-)

BR, ADi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic