Microscope Eyepieces WF10X /22mm Diopter-adjustable High Eye

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Scarodactyl wrote:Interesting results!

That said, I'm surprised the 15x uwf wouldn't be the constant choice, even with the lower field number. I feel like I'm looking through a straw with anything else now.
I thoroughly enjoy using the 15x UWF. They provide a completely different viewing experience. But most of my microscope viewing is of full Lincoln Cents, which are 19mm in diameter. The 15x will only frame the full coin when perfectly aligined, which rarely happens as I look through a stack of coins. I actually am considering changing my 1x fixed pod over to a 0.7-3x or a 0.67-4x, but the 1x is unbeatable for clarity (due to its simplicity I assume), so it's a balancing act.

Scarodactyl

Re: Microscope Eyepieces WF10X /22mm Diopter-adjustable High Eye

Post by Scarodactyl »

I bought a pair of these which just came in today, and I rather like them. They are non-compensating as far as I can tell and work pretty well on my new Nikon optiphot, with an FoV around 21.9 (but with a bit of corner shading) and no apparent aberrations vs the CFWN eyepies meant for it (though this was being tested on BD plan objectives which have tons of axial CA no matter what you do).
Edit: tried them on my SZ7, they do not do well in that context (at least if you want parfocality) and the FoV in the end was barely wider than the normal 10x WFs I had on it.

Duke

Post by Duke »

I do own these cnscope WF10x/22 for a while, and for me most annoying thing is glister from inner surface of a tubes, because it's glossy anodized black, not matted and have no proper blacking. These are Plössl-type eyepieces with the fov of >26mm, they only have 22mm because the tubes serve as a field stop diaphragm, tubes being unscrewed, they can be used on 30mm as UWF eyepieces.
“Thoroughly conscious ignorance is the prelude to every real advance in science.” - JCM

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

That's really interesting. I didn't notice any particular flare but I have barely used them. Did they perform well across a 26mm FoV? That would be surprising given how cheap these are and how expensive wider FoV eyepieces tend to be--then again I thought their performance was already surprisingly good for the price.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am
Did they perform well across a 26mm FoV?
Well, a relative term, I would say that they give acceptable image, the field is not that flat, otherwise it's ok.
To be fair, I do own a several UltraWide 10x eyepieces:
Nikon CFUW 10x/26.5
Nikon CFIUW 10x/25
Zeiss W 10x/25
All of them are far from what I would call good image quality and on par with cnscope's. For the price of CFIUW I expected the great image, but it's not. I would say that even cheapest zeiss W 10x giving much more detailed image, but distortion is real issue, and do not fizzle with LCA, wich is somehow trasforms on CFUW to sort of perceived astigmatism.
Best image I've ever seen was on Leitz Periplan GW 8x/28. But they feature LCA compensation, which I don't want.
“Thoroughly conscious ignorance is the prelude to every real advance in science.” - JCM

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Huh. I've never had any complaints about my cfuws, so if it could perform like one I'd be surprised and pleased. Maybe I'll get another pair to experiment with.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Yeah, that's the first criticism I've heard of the CFUWs. In what setup do you use them? Since you mention both Zeiss and Leitz, I find it hard to guess what other optics might be in you optical path.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I just unscrewed the base of one and held it up to my nikon uw head with a cfuw in the other socket. It does produce an impressively wide FoV, but not quite as wide as the nikon, and also with significant corner shading. I'm going to try 3d printing a 30mm shaft for it to get a better comparison.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The previous test was interesting but not exactly easy to interpret since I was just handholding a partial eyepiece with shaky hands. I printed a 30mm diameter shaft for the eyepieces (the thread at the top is m37x0.5) to give them a try.
My last assessment was actually a little unflattering--I would say their performance is not quiiiiite as good as the Nikon CFUW, and there is some corner shading and a bit of distortion right at the edge, but frankly it's really quite good, and actually performs better in CA right at the edge though this is mostly visible in photos. These are pretty weak cell phone photos taken on my optiphot, using an epi illuminator which doesn't cover the UW FoV evenly, but they do the job I think.
CFUW:
Generic:
CFUW:
Generic:
I think for maximum comfort I'd need to figure out where an appropriate field stop would go to get a nice crisp edge instead of the shady corners it has now but they're comfortable to use this way and seem like a very attractive and affordable alternative at 50ish bucks plus a few grams of filament and a couple hours of printing. Might be great for a range of stereo scopes too.

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Thanks for this work; it motivated getting a pair for my Optiphot-66.
I compare one with a Chinese WF10X-18mm and Nikon CFWN10X-20,
using afocal images with constant illumination and manual camera settings:
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope/oculars
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I am glad to hear you've also had good results with them! You never know if results will replicate, and another poster had poorer results afocally (though with a different camera lens which I suspect was the culpret).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic