Nikon lens BD Plan 20x ELWD

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rikisub

Post by Rikisub »

Hi everyone! Just one question. My "top" enlargement limit is 10,9x, which I reach with a Nikon BD plan 10x with reasonable results. I'm considering going further up, to the 20x, and I'm thinking about buying a Nikon lens BD Plan 20x ELWD. I know an infinite lens would be much better, but my budget is far from them. Thus, have you used that lens? what results does it offer? Is it worth?thanks a lot!

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I only have the standard BD Plan 20x, and it is a very good objective. I used it for a while to image phono stylus contacts, but the standard type has working distance which is a bit difficult to work with. I converted over to a 20x MM objective, which has great WD and is telecentric, but the CA is not as good as on the standard BD Plan. Been considering getting a 20x ELWD as a compromise, yet similar to you I have no data on it.

Have you considered the standard 20x BD Plan? Its WD is fine for most flat imaging work. I can even shoot most phono styli contacts with it, but some of the stylus bodies are quite wide and interfere on edge of the objective body.

Are you wanting LWD for lighting purposes? I ended up installing LEDs in the standard 20x, thus enabling use of the internal "ringlight" optimized for the objective's WD.

Rikisub

Post by Rikisub »

Hello Ray, thank you very much for your answer. You're right: the ELWD is because of lighting purposes. It is a good idea what you suggest about installing LEDS in the standard lens, I might have a try with the Nikon BD plan that I usually work with.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I bought one years ago after Charles Krebs descibed them as a very sweet lens. If you go back and look at some of his images you'll see some amazing results.
You get some purplish LOCA effects but very often you can get rid of them in post processing.
There's also a LWD, also NA 0.4, which has little less LOCA than the ELWD and intermediate WD.
If you unscrew the outer barrel of the BD version, access improves. I have a pic here somewhere.....

found it
Chris R

Rikisub

Post by Rikisub »

Thanks a lot Chris!

Lone puffin

Post by Lone puffin »

PM send

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic