Magnifying function in LiveView on new Canon Cameras

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroB

Magnifying function in LiveView on new Canon Cameras

Post by MacroB »

Hello Everyone !

I'm currently using an EOS 50D on an Olympus BH2 w polariser to photograph micro crystals. Am pleased with it but have never been able to make use of the magnifying function, certainly not to focus.

Recently have read about this function on the T6i or 750D being used to focus. While my M Plan and S Plan Apo objectives may not be able to use the full 25 or 35 MB I am wondering if I could use the magnifying function to select a photo stack?

Perhaps someone out there with experience of the latest hard and software could tell me if this is possible.

Best wishes,
MicroB

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Seems odd that the magnifying/zoom does not work for you. The camera itself should have a + and - zoom button that allows zooming in and out on the rear screen when in Live View or when viewing stored images. Does this function work? Does it just ignore you when you push the buttons? I have a T2i and XS, which are newer and older than your 50D, respectively. Both have functional zoom function.

I honestly would not be able to do critical focusing without the zoom function. The full-screen Live View image is quite blurry, and there is no focus peaking function, so it's really critical (at least for me) that the zoom works.

Geopressure

Post by Geopressure »

I have a Canon T7i and pull up Live View on the PC by using the EOS Utility software and selecting Remote Shooting...it works great and does have a 5X or 10X zoom.

Hope that helps.

MacroB

Post by MacroB »

Hello ray-parkhurst and Geopressure.

Many thanks for coming to the rescue of this guy and his senior moments! Yes, once I found the button on the camera it goes from normal, 5x and 10x. Think it will take some getting used to as even at 5x it is quite grainy, but at least I have the choice.

Thanks, once again.
Best wishes,
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic