Pacific Precision Labs Stages

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Pacific Precision Labs Stages

Post by Smokedaddy »

I was wondering if anyone has direct experience with these particular XY stages and what is missing? They're not motorized but look to be perhaps digital readouts, like you would see on a mill or lathe, glass scales (DRO etc.). You know, move dial and get a readout on a DRO screen. Sure would nice if I can find a use for them. I found something similar on eBay but nothing specific 'information wise' while searching the Internet.

-JW:

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Those look like they'd be really easy to automate. They even already have 4 holes drilled and tapped for the stepper motors!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

This is the only pic I could find. Plus I don't know what else might be missing from the setup in this picture. Probably a joy stick and controller. That's what I'm trying to find out. Seems the company is no longer in business so I haven't a clue who to ask specific questions and get specific answers. So I was hoping that someone here might. Yea, that's a long shot.

-JW:

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I'd suggest just pulling the manual adjusters and mounting some stepper motors. Then use one of Mike's or mjkzz's Stack and Stitch controllers, and you're golden. Trying to figure out a proprietary system is a nightmare. I've tried on a couple systems and it a huge time sink and mess.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... that's what I was trying to do, like this controller, PITA that's for sure. I haven't clue if it's the right one.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Found some specific information on the Heidehnain scales attached on this model.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

James,

Looks like the beginning of a really nice XYZ setup for S&S efforts :D

Best
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

mawyatt wrote:James,

Looks like the beginning of a really nice XYZ setup for S&S efforts :D

Best
Most of the PPL stages I've seen with motors are Parker M57-83 Compumotor ¼" shaft 80 oz-in Torque NEMA 23 10' 105-125VAC 50/60Hz (or something like that). I'm not savvy with the servo stuff. The hole pattern is the same as mine, that being 1.875" centers. I wasn't sure how to take the manual knobs off mine to verify the shaft diameter. One of the knobs is fine focus and the other course. I put a plunger dial indicator on the stage to come up with those results. I only saw one super tiny hole in either knob and it was the smaller one. I assume there's a super tiny micro set screw in there. That being the case I haven't verified the shaft size yet.

I was also thinking of cutting off the top part of a parted-out Optiphot I have and mount it on the column riser nicely and making it removable of course. That way I can use 'things' I've 3D printed in place of the nosepiece turret. Plus I can use all of my EPI accessories. nomarski setup etc. too.

-JW:

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Since it's a NEMA 23 hole pattern for the Parker motor, you should be able to use a NEMA 23 stepper. Look for a 0.9 degree motor if you can find one, otherwise a 1.8 degree should work OK. Make sure you get 2 phase motors if you want to use readily available controllers.

A 1/4 shaft is ~6.4mm, so you'll need a coupler from the motor shaft to this, so check the motor shaft diameter. However if the stage has fine and coarse controls (looks like it does) then you may have concentric shafts to deal with. You probably want to drive the outer coarse shaft with the motor.

Edit: Just took a look at the images again, and it seems that on the opposite end of the stage from the knobs there is a plug covering a hole, so this might be where the motor attaches. That would be nice since you'll have manual and motor control.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic