Thinking of going to Olympus for focus bracketting/stacking

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Thinking of going to Olympus for focus bracketting/stacking

Post by davholla »

Probably Olympus OM-D E-M1 (£295 second hand)or OM-D E-M5 MK II Body Black (£419 new).

With the 60mm lens.

My shooting is due to commitments not ideal, i.e. I don't get up early and look for insects whilst they are still asleep. It is more 5 minutes here or there when my family let me, never early in the morning and on holiday often by torch light.

I currently use Canon 550D and 60 mm lens which I am happy with but I would like the ability to do more stacks. If Olympus didn't have this feature I wouldn't think about changing for a second.

I also use a Canon MPE-65 which I would continue to use.
Here is my current photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

E-M1's full electronic shutter mode is actually noisy and often degrades image quality, compared to its own electronic front shutter or full mechanical shutter. E-M10 mk2 has a very good e shutter.
Last edited by zzffnn on Tue May 14, 2019 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'm very happy with my PEN F + 60mm Oly macro lens for auto focus bracketing. It is a wonderful tool, especially if your field time is limited.

davholla

Post by davholla »

Lou Jost wrote:I'm very happy with my PEN F + 60mm Oly macro lens for auto focus bracketing. It is a wonderful tool, especially if your field time is limited.
Sadly a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Please clarify what's your intention...
Bracketing ? (frames in the card and later process the files in the computer...)
or
Stacking / post-focus.. ? .. (photos processed in camera)

I must tell you the "bracketig" it is not easy.. my experience was very frustrating and even depressive.. at some point I thought I spent 1.000 euros for nothing ...
Then I started to resolve a long list of problems one by one... tok sometime to get decent results.
The bracketing sounds good in the paper and in the "reviews", but has a lot of hidden problems and also hidden costs.. if your intention is to do "bracketibg you will need another few hundred euros (depending of what parts / software you already have... like a license of Zerene or Helicon Focus).
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic