Laowa introduces 100mm f/2.8 2x Macro APO

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think we should immediately return under-protected lenses, on the grounds that we cannot know that they have been properly cared for. Without a known-good reference lens to compare with, we have no way of knowing if it has been slightly damaged inside. This is a systematic problem with B & H, one that won't change unless we photographers do something about it.

It burns me up inside to see how they pack MY lenses. It is, after all, my lens once the money changes hands. It is practically criminally negligent to mistreat my lens that way. If I lived in the US and had deep pockets I would sue them for systematically, knowingly, and purposefully mishandling my expensive lens.

On the other hand, yesterday my S1R fell almost a meter onto a bare concrete floor without apparent damage.....

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

chris_ma wrote: best packaging I got was from Ffordes and from Thorlabs.
On my last order from Thorlabs one package arrived severely dented like it has been dropped from several feet, and I was already worried, but when opening it I saw that they packaged it with perfect custom padding and the inside was completely unharmed.
In addition to Thorlab's excellent packing, I always look forward to the accompanying snacks that they invariably send :)

themagicdrainpipe

Post by themagicdrainpipe »

So I have had this lens for about a week now, and can say that I'm much happier with it than the MP-E 65mm. I have the Canon mount, and probably wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have electronic aperture control. I've found it is either nearly as sharp, or just as sharp as my MP-E. I cannot find any real flaws to it.

The main reason I got it is because I was finding that with the MP-E I was running into framing issues where I wanted to capture a little more environment, or just larger specimens. I tried to use the 100L with a Raynox, but found that combo infuriating. Not as sharp as I would have liked, and quite frankly annoying. The Laowa allows me to take a photo of something like a medium sized moth, but then be able to get a photo of a jumping spider with no problem. I crop a LOT, and haven't felt that any images are not up to par with what I previously was getting with the MP-E.

I've also found that if I'm with my family I can just focus back to infinity, and not even have to change too much on my setup. So it's a family lens! (That's what I tell my wife).

If you want samples, check out my Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

I would put photos on here, but I'm posting from my PC without photos on it now. If I get the chance I'll try to come back and direct link images here.

NOTE: I am not paid by, endorsed by, or affiliated in any way with Laowa. I just like the lens that much.
Check out my Instagram! http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I really like the aperture sweep on tilted ruler on the 2nd page. It was intended for LoCA, but you can see a lot more from those images, even so far as to confirm that the optimum aperture is f5.6, at least for center and near-edge. It shows that f2.8 is not so good even at center for sharpness, but LoCA is good.

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

themagicdrainpipe wrote:So I have had this lens for about a week now, and can say that I'm much happier with it than the MP-E 65mm. I have the Canon mount, and probably wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have electronic aperture control. I've found it is either nearly as sharp, or just as sharp as my MP-E. I cannot find any real flaws to it.

The main reason I got it is because I was finding that with the MP-E I was running into framing issues where I wanted to capture a little more environment, or just larger specimens. I tried to use the 100L with a Raynox, but found that combo infuriating. Not as sharp as I would have liked, and quite frankly annoying. The Laowa allows me to take a photo of something like a medium sized moth, but then be able to get a photo of a jumping spider with no problem. I crop a LOT, and haven't felt that any images are not up to par with what I previously was getting with the MP-E.

I've also found that if I'm with my family I can just focus back to infinity, and not even have to change too much on my setup. So it's a family lens! (That's what I tell my wife).

If you want samples, check out my Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

I would put photos on here, but I'm posting from my PC without photos on it now. If I get the chance I'll try to come back and direct link images here.

NOTE: I am not paid by, endorsed by, or affiliated in any way with Laowa. I just like the lens that much.
I looked through your shots, very nice. What are the extenders you are using on the MP-E flash mount to extend the reach for the MT-24ex?

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

dpreview uploaded some samples as well:
https://www.dpreview.com/samples/439740 ... le-gallery

lothman

Re: Laowa introduces 100mm f/2.8 2x Macro APO

Post by lothman »

compared to the Sony FE90 at 1:1 f2.8 on Sony A7r4, Zerene dmap 100% crop
Laowa_vs_Sony_.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic