Wild phototubus parts: relay lense and 0.32 focal reducer?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rorschach

Wild phototubus parts: relay lense and 0.32 focal reducer?

Post by Rorschach »

Hi,

New member here :) I am building a microphotography system at home around my Wild M7S stereo and Pentax K5 IIs dslr (later also the full frame K-1). I have the main part, i.e. the phototube already. But I do not have the necessary projection/relay lens and I do not have the eyepiece tube and the eyepiece for it (is this eyepiece the same thing as the 0.32 focal reducer?). I assume all of those are needed for my application? Do I need something else too?

My question is what kind of projection lens do I need and are there several that are compatible? I see a lot of potential ones on ebay but can't tell which ones are relay pieces and which ones are normal eyepieces. Does the relay eyepiece look somehow different and is it longer perhaps? Same thing with the 0.32 focal reducer, are there different ones or should I just get any Wild 0.32 reducer that I manage to find?

Correct part numbers for the various things needed would be just great!

Thanks for any and all help!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Do you mean this thing?
I don't know if
this link will work but if it does it will show more photos.

It goes above a normal eyepiece so it has no correction in it:
http://www.science-info.net/docs/leitz/ ... -15-64.pdf

The 0.32x lens is 83.3mm FL.

There's a recent thread discussing it here

Coincidentally, someone wanted to buy it from me today!
Chris R

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

No, I mean the trinocular system that has a separate phototubus part that goes between the microscope optics carrier and the head.

Like here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDMUNDS-SCIENT ... OSwj2RbAaz~

But the 0.32 focal reducer part itself might be the same in both systems? That is actually one of the things that I would like to know, if I can just grab any Wild 0.32 focal reducers I can find or not.

Edit: Sorry, yes the pdf is talking about the reducer and also the thread that you linked. Thanks. I initially reactec to the image in your message that shows a Wild system that is much different from the trinocular phototube plus parts plus a DSLR. My bad :)

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I wonder if the other parts in the images in the thread linked by Chris would also work on my M7S phototube system. Those are on totally different micsoscope, the Leitz Orthoplan, after all.

Here's the schema of the system for the M7S:

I hope the image shows.

I might have the part number 77, the eyepiece tube (but not the relay lens), somewhere but need to check if it's the correct one. Stupidly that Wild schema does not give the actual Wild part numbers for the items...very annoying.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I continue my monologue :)

Would this be the correct setup, sans the relay lens:

http://www.microbehunter.com/microscopy ... =16&t=7187

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Sorry, no further info, but I have spotted the 0.32x lens on a few Leitz parts now, and it has always borne the same number, 370759.

Its thread is about 37 x 0.75mm, but I haven't tried a known matching part yet.
Chris R

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

ChrisR wrote:Sorry, no further info, but I have spotted the 0.32x lens on a few Leitz parts now, and it has always borne the same number, 370759.

Its thread is about 37 x 0.75mm, but I haven't tried a known matching part yet.
Ok. Thanks mate, what you provided was already very useful!

I'm just trying to avoid purchasing the wrong items on ebay and losing money. I'm not that rich and have a pretty large family to feed plus I'm up to my neck in mortgage etc. Just trying to make sure that my head stays above the surface even with the expenses of this hobby of mine. And that the missus doesn't kill me if she finds out what I put money into :-D

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

I may have parts 9 and 77, which I suspect I will not be needing, if you are still looking in roughly three months time. They are waiting for me on another continent, and came with an older 38mm photo tube (Wild 376788) that is squat and angled back compared to the ones in your illustration. I plan (hope?) to use just the photo tube and have it directly project onto the sensor of a micro four thirds camera. Both will also be part of a Wild M7S. 8)

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

jfiresto wrote:I may have parts 9 and 77, which I suspect I will not be needing, if you are still looking in roughly three months time. They are waiting for me on another continent, and came with an older 38mm photo tube (Wild 376788) that is squat and angled back compared to the ones in your illustration. I plan (hope?) to use just the photo tube and have it directly project onto the sensor of a micro four thirds camera. Both will also be part of a Wild M7S. 8)
You're also dabbling with a Wild M7S, well that's just great! We definitely need to keep each other posted as we go on with the projects, makes it easier and more fun too :)

By the way, I got my M7S with the heaviest duty stand that Wild ever made for stereos, the double boom one like on this sell ad:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Wild-M8- ... 3590750006

That thing is heavy, stable and sturdy like a Tiger tank :-D It also enables flexibility to put the scope on large items that would never fit under a more regular stand. I will never sell it!

Three months is a long time to wait but how much would you like for the two parts? Provided of course that they indeed are the correct ones. You can also PM me if you prefer.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The 0.32X "1/3 focal reducer" lens is just a lens meant to focus the virtual (infinite projected) image of the eyepiece onto the camera film or sensor. In fact, this is an afocal system. (*)
It would be adequate for FF but will provide too much secondary magnification for APSC, so the image will be severely cropped.

You can substitute it with a camera lens of the adequate FL, for example a 50mm prime lens will provide you a similar FOV in APSC than the 83.3 mm 0.32X lens on FF

What you need for sure are the parts 77 and 9 (an adequate 10X eyepiece) and a device to hold the camera lens close to the photo eyepiece. If the external upper part of the 77 tube is of 40mm as I think you could use a Zeiss adapter like https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-MICROSCO ... 3730714568 and a Zeiss dovetail to your lens filter thread available online from rafcamera.com

(*) take a look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15607
Last edited by Pau on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Pau wrote:The 0.32X "1/3 focal reducer" lens is just a lens meant to focus the virtual (infinite projected) image of the eyepiece onto the camera film or sensor. In fact, this is an afocal system. (*)
It would be adequate for FF but will provide too much secondary magnification on APSC, so the image will be severely cropped.

You can substitute it with a camera lens of the adequate FL, for example a 50mm prime lens will provide you a similar FOV in APSC than the 83.3 mm 0.32X lens

What you need for sure are the parts 77 and 9 (an adequate 10X eyepiece) and a device to hold the camera lens close to the photo eyepiece. If the external upper part of the 77 tube is of 40mm as I think you could use a Zeiss adapter like https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-MICROSCO ... 3730714568 and a Zeiss dovetail to your lens filter thread available online from rafcamera.com

(*) take a look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15607
Interesting! And I read something to that effect already about the focal reducer. I think it will still be useful because later I will also use a full frame Pentax K-1 II. But it will be APS-C first so that tip on the Zeiss adapter is much appreciated, thank you! Also many thanks for verifying that parts 77 and 9 are what I need. Hopefully the parts are the same between my phototube and jfirestos system up on the thread.

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

Rorschach wrote:... By the way, I got my M7S with the heaviest duty stand that Wild ever made for stereos, the double boom one like on this sell ad:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Wild-M8- ... 3590750006

That thing is heavy, stable and sturdy like a Tiger tank :-D It also enables flexibility to put the scope on large items that would never fit under a more regular stand. I will never sell it!....
My M7S had been set up as a dual camera, presentation microscope with the longest shaft attached to the lightest baseplate I have ever seen:

I have since moved the microscope to a shorter and more stable pedestal stand and am re-purposing the 750x25mm shaft for a video microscope I have been slowly assembling.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Wow...I have never seen a setup like that :shock: Looks like an accident just waiting to happen so I am glad you changed the configuration!

Perl

Post by Perl »

Phototube components:
Wild 445546 eyepiece tube
10404207 tube
162226 camera lens adapter
Leica 0,32X camera lens 10445541
Leica photo eyepieces 10445304 10X Phot.
T2 to Canon EOS,Nikon or M42 mount
****** Seeing is Believing ******

Perl

Post by Perl »

****** Seeing is Believing ******

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic