Most expensive macro lens ever is on ebay now

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Most expensive macro lens ever is on ebay now

Post by Lou Jost »

I've never seen such a recent-generation photolithography lens on sale. Perhaps the highest resolution macro lens that has ever appeared on eBay, though the listing provides no details.

Just $127,211:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113686063899?ul_noapp=true

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Must be big. Shipping is via Freight. It looks pretty old, probably e-line, so might be useful for visible light. Kinda pricey though. I doubt I'd be interested unless it was a couple hundred $ max, and then my wife would question my sanity.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

$127k for "as is" and untested. Fantasy!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ray, I think it is newer. There is an "i" engraved on the front, so I think it is an i-line lens, several generations removed from e-line lenses. Note also that it does not say "Tropel/GCA" so it probably doesn't come from the period 1982-1984 when those companies were joined together. i-line was used around 1989-1993 I think.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

The literal red tape is a nice touch :wink:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Gift-wrapped! No extra charge.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:The literal red tape is a nice touch :wink:
That's the Canon L red ring 8)

But seriously... that's a ton of $$$ for an "exotic", untested lens that may or may not work well on camera. I will pass, it's all yours, guys :lol:
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Macrero wrote:
Ichthyophthirius wrote:The literal red tape is a nice touch :wink:
That's the Canon L red ring 8)

But seriously... that's a ton of $$$ for an "exotic", untested lens that may or may not work well on camera. I will pass, it's all yours, guys :lol:
I wonder how much it cost when new?

If they would just drop their price a little, like between 2 and 3 orders of magnitude, well I still would not be interested!

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

ray_parkhurst wrote: I wonder how much it cost when new?

If they would just drop their price a little, like between 2 and 3 orders of magnitude, well I still would not be interested!
I have no idea, but lithography optics are extremely complex and expensive. I would not be surprised if the asking price is a fraction of the "list price" of this lens. I am still not buying it though :mrgreen:

Edit: just found this one, looks beautiful, and huuge :o and it's "cheap" :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithography-Gi ... 3431762507
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Macrero, that big fat lens you linked to looks intriguing....
Last edited by Lou Jost on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I wonder who they think their target audience is.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Lou Jost wrote:Macrero, that big fat lens you linked to looks intriguing....
It certainly does. A beautiful, huge piece of glass, most likely the front (or whichever) element only cost more than the price asked for the lens. Too bad there is no info about manufacturer, model, specs... But I am tempted to buy it just because of how beautiful it is :P

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Scarodactyl wrote:I wonder who they think their target audience is.
eBay sellers sometimes put outrageous prices on for unknown reasons. Sometimes they go on vacation, or perhaps have an item they simply want to show off (a unique repro-nikkor comes to mind), or maybe they are hoping for a big fish to bite.

I recently bought my wife some replacement seam rippers. These are $3-4 items. One seller had them at $333 each. I bought from a known good seller at $4. Does that other seller really think they can get 100x the value for a commodity item?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Macrero, I would be tempted too, if I knew what wavelength it was made for. The guy would probably take less than 2k.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Lou Jost wrote:Macrero, I would be tempted too, if I knew what wavelength it was made for. The guy would probably take less than 2k.
I very much doubt seller could provide any further info, unless there is some marking, but he would have said it in the listing. Lens is a great collector's piece, but sure, it's risky to buy it with the intention of using it...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic