Switch to Panasonic good idea or not worth it?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Switch to Panasonic good idea or not worth it?

Post by davholla »

At the moment I use Canon 60mm and 65mm lens and am thinking about doing the following in April
1) Get Panasonic GX820 and a macro lens and raynox from ideally a company with 30 day returns
2) Test them and see if I can get better than with my Canon

If I can keep them then sell the 65mm lens and possibly the 60mm, I will still keep the Canon bodies for birds and people.
I will use the macro lens for bigger insects and put the raynox on it for smaller ones. Any ideas on how easy it is to take these off? I would be worried about losing it. Saying that I don't often need to use both lenses at the same time.

This is because of Post Focus, I think for someone like me who doesn't use tripods much and 99% of the time photographs live insects it should be easier to get stacks with Panasonic. Any thoughts?

Here is my current flickr public photos, most of which are Macro
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Take a look at the Post Focus thread: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

In my case, the Panasonic G9 has changed the way I focus stack in the field. It has been an eye opener.

It is easy to attach and remove a Raynox from the lens (you may need an adapter ring for your lens). It is like putting on a fat filter (as I use an adapter)! The Raynox has hard plastic carry case, so you should not lose things if you are careful.

I would not buy the Raynox first up, test the lens before you make that decision. MFT is a different experience.

Post Focus is best on a tripod, but you can do it handheld. I would suggest some support, even it is just a broom stick to add stability - cheap, light and it helps (or a monopod if you have one).

With MFT a 30mm lens is the equivalent of a 60mm lens in 35mm format.

palea

Re: Switch to Panasonic good idea or not worth it?

Post by palea »

davholla wrote:GX820
I presume this is a typo for the GX800/850 as, so far as I know, there's not an 820 (or 810). Given the objective of handheld stacking it may be worth considering a body with IBIS, particularly if you're thinking the Olympus 60mm over the Panasonic-Leica 45mm as the Olympus lacks OIS.

Some form of support, as @TheDocAUS mentioned, is helpful for z axis stability regardless.

davholla

Re: Switch to Panasonic good idea or not worth it?

Post by davholla »

palea wrote:
davholla wrote:GX820
I presume this is a typo for the GX800/850 as, so far as I know, there's not an 820 (or 810). Given the objective of handheld stacking it may be worth considering a body with IBIS, particularly if you're thinking the Olympus 60mm over the Panasonic-Leica 45mm as the Olympus lacks OIS.

Some form of support, as @TheDocAUS mentioned, is helpful for z axis stability regardless.
Sorry yes I meant the GX80

davholla

Post by davholla »

TheDocAUS wrote:Take a look at the Post Focus thread: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

In my case, the Panasonic G9 has changed the way I focus stack in the field. It has been an eye opener.

It is easy to attach and remove a Raynox from the lens (you may need an adapter ring for your lens). It is like putting on a fat filter (as I use an adapter)! The Raynox has hard plastic carry case, so you should not lose things if you are careful.

I would not buy the Raynox first up, test the lens before you make that decision. MFT is a different experience.

Post Focus is best on a tripod, but you can do it handheld. I would suggest some support, even it is just a broom stick to add stability - cheap, light and it helps (or a monopod if you have one).

With MFT a 30mm lens is the equivalent of a 60mm lens in 35mm format.
Thank you very much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic