External shutter controller against photo bleaching

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

WalterD

External shutter controller against photo bleaching

Post by WalterD »

In connection with my previous microphoto posts, it was discussed how to reduce photobleaching in photomicrography. A very good idea was to install a shutter between the mercury lamp and the object, that preferably would be controlled simultanuously with the camera shutter.
I dicovered a shutter and apart from that a matching controller, both Melles Griot. Unfortunately just before shipping the seller noted the signal cable was cut , so the item was maybe not that functional as described. I chose for the option to have a 2nd almost identical one shipped as well, with increasing chances one might be working.
To make a long story short, both were not functional (one powered up though), I got a refund and still did not have a decent controller for my shutter.
Both are 110 V controllers, 04IES001 and 04ISC001. The shutter type is 04IES001.
Meantime I discovered in a box with unsorted stuff a complete controller by Reichert for a Prontor shutter. I am now using this one, by manually moving the swith on the smaller box every time I want to have it opened. It works as an intermediate solution, but I'd still want my Melles Griot set working.
Question is whether you have a brilliant idea how to get this sorted out. I have to say my electrical skills are very limited, so I did not try this yet:
https://www.chemie.unibas.ch/~holder/shutter/

Beides the power supply would there be usual suspects in malfunctioning shutter controllers, could you recommend other make or diy solution?
Furthermore I would like to know more about how to get it talking with a MS Windows computer (newest OS) and how to link the TTL cable with a signal created by some kind of software.

Thanks in advance!

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

What camera you're using and how are you planning to sync it with this shutter?
For me, simplest solution was to implement flash in fluorescence photography. Which is functionally exactly like a shutter, but without all the hassle with electronics.

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

I'm using a Canon EOS 5D MK II. The mercury lamp is continuously burning, it has no flash function and should remain in the setup.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

So how will you sync light shutter with DSLR shutter?

For Zeiss Axio and Nikon HMX lamphouses, it's possible to connect multiple light sources to single collector. Probably Olympus and other brands also offer similar solution. It might be less expensive than attempt to adapt motorized shutter.

My personal scope have 4 light sources attached (HBO, XBO, Halogen, Flash). I do not switch HBO off when using flash, nor do i remove it.
I do have an electronically controlled shutter from Zeiss system, but i've failed to sync it with DSLR. Let us know when you find a solution.

Saul

Post by Saul »

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

So how will you sync light shutter with DSLR shutter?
To quote Rik in reply in one of my previous fluorescence posts:
Consider using a keyboard/mouse "robot" to drive both Canon EOS Utility and the controller(s) for other software. Something like http://www.robot-soft.com/ .
So one mouse will serve two non-related applications at the same time, the click that triggers the shutter in EOS utility also triggers the external shutter in a piece of software that I do not know yet.

@ Saul, thanks , nice options. Abou the controller in the 2nd link: do you think it would be able to give the right signal to the 48 V (peak volatage) solenoid of the shutter?

Saul

Post by Saul »

WalterD wrote:...controller in the 2nd link: do you think it would be able to give the right signal to the 48 V (peak volatage) solenoid of the shutter?
Hi Walter,
Shutter seller states, that it operates at 12v - "The shutter stays open for as long as 12V power is applied using the dark blue and red wires only.", and it is your goal . Timer delay relay logic is 12v also (of course, output device are dry contacts, so you can connect different voltage if needed). If you need something different using one power supply - you can use higher voltage PS and some voltage converter for the timer delay relay (you can get similar relay for 24v also).

Operational sequence would be (I'm using WeMacro):
-WeMacro signal
-mirror up
-delay
-shutter opens
-delay
-FL shutter opens
-exposure
-2nd curtain closes
-FL shutter closes
-rail moves

You can use exposure delay mode instead double click (not sure if Canon has it, I'm Nikon D7200 user)

Drawback of this sequence - longer stacking time.

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Hi Saul,

That sounds very interesting, I will be abe to use Wemacro parallel with EOS utility solely for the 2nd shutter, that's the plan.
The 48V requirement actually came from the manufacurer brochure, recommending an initial pulse 4 time the nominal DC voltage, that's why I mentioned it.
https://www.artisantg.com/info/Melles_G ... asheet.pdf
page 18 bottom.

Anyhow definetely something to investigate further on.

Saul

Post by Saul »

One more thing, developed by Linden Gledhill:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13084997@ ... 697012197/
If I remember correctly, he posted about it on our forum also.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic