Lighting Solutions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cube-tube

Lighting Solutions

Post by cube-tube »

Hi guys,

I have been using cheap battery-powered speedlights for microscopy, but I run into problems with power and recycle time for deep, high-magnification stacks.

Are there any fast, bright lighting solutions that you recommend? Or, can the power of a cheap speedlight be amplified by a condensor?

Thank you

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

If you've been using oblique flash lighting (direct illumination), then yes, a condenser will make a massive difference and increase the brightness no end for *transmitted* illumination.

If you mean for epi illumination - then a (much) longer exposure time with a continuous light source will likely be better.

cube-tube

Post by cube-tube »

Thanks, Beatsy.

Can a condenser also be used for reflected light? I imagine that the light would be very hard.

I have also tried using parabolic mirrors, with some success.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

cube-tube wrote: Can a condenser also be used for reflected light? I imagine that the light would be very hard.
Not really, it shines on the wrong side of the subject - and yes, it would be very hard.

Cut the bottom off a polystyrene cup, poke a hole in the base so you can slip it over the objective with the wide open top over the subject. The cup will be surrounding the subject too. Now try lighting that (flash or continuous). Should give you nice even light for epi illumination.

If that doesn't work for you, you could try upping the ISO a bit more.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Beatsy wrote:Cut the bottom off a polystyrene cup, poke a hole in the base so you can slip it over the objective with the wide open top over the subject. The cup will be surrounding the subject too. Now try lighting that (flash or continuous). Should give you nice even light for epi illumination.

If that doesn't work for you, you could try upping the ISO a bit more.
This is an amazingly simple solution that really does work wonders.

Before I took this advice I tried all sorts of methods, none of which gave good results. Afterwards my images were 1000% better.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Beatsy wrote: Cut the bottom off a polystyrene cup, poke a hole in the base so you can slip it over the objective with the wide open top over the subject. The cup will be surrounding the subject too. Now try lighting that (flash or continuous). Should give you nice even light for epi illumination.
Just guess how easily they are available nowadays in my country... I have to order a thousand pack to get one. In EU it is becoming harder and harder to get this stuff 'cause of the sea pollution and microplastics. Few years ago you could get one from nearest McDonald's but not anymore.
In Sweden they are planning to ban all but electric cars by 2030 and Finland is in the same boat.
- Rane

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic