vertical vs horizontal arrangement

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bs0604

vertical vs horizontal arrangement

Post by bs0604 »

I see in pictures posted in this forum that most arrangements of the camera & extension tubes are in a horizontal configuration although a few are vertical. Are there pros and cons leading one to choose one configuration over the over?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I mostly use vertical so I can take photos of specimens in liquid. Horizontal is more stable though, in my experience, and has a higher maximum load-carrying weight than vertical if you are using big lenses.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I started with horizontal, now vertical.

Vertical takes up less space, makes lighting easier (IMO). The advantage of horizontal would be the fact that substantial space is allowed between the subject of interest and a background, such as a colourful book. This allows some nice blurred backgrounds. It's fine and possible with vertical as well, but kind of a hassle. Vertical does require greater stability though, and can be... dangerous. My setup has several supporting rods just in case I goof up and forget to tighten a knob, leading the entire setup crashing onto the hard surface beneath.

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

I use a vertical setup. I photograph microminerals and have found that lighting is easier using a vertical setup.
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I should add to my answer above. My vertical set-up can be switched to horizontal whenever I want. I also have an option for a diagonal set-up at arbitrary angles.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Also use both. If you don't have a setup already the Wemacro Vertical Stand with the horizontal option is really nice. It's small, portable and inexpensive.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I'm vertical all the way for coins, phono cartridges, etc. With vertical you take advantage of gravity for holding your specimen rather than needing to clamp it to hold it steady. I'd say if your specimens are suitable for viewing with a stereo microscope without having to hold them with tweezers, then I'd recommend vertical. If you need to hold the specimen with tweezers/pin/etc to view, then horizontal might be better. It's also easier to control background with horizontal. With vertical, the stage plate defines your background, and is just below the subject so can be within the DOF. With horizontal, you can have subject "in space" or can put colored backgrounds and such that are farther away from the subject. I don't personally see lighting as being more challenging for either configuration.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

For me it depends mostly on the subject.

For things like computer chips, etc., I find vertical easier, since I don't have to devote a lot of effort into posing things appropriately. Rather than messing around with arms, and clamps and other holding devices, I can just set the subject on my lab jack, with an appopriate background (black, white or colored card).

For other things like insects, horizontal works better at getting head on views etc.

johan

Post by johan »

Same as other replies - depends what you're shooting. For example butterfly wings are easier when they lie down and you shoot from above :)
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic