Cheap and Efficient Way to Organise Optical Components

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Cheap and Efficient Way to Organise Optical Components

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Upon taking this expensive hobby, I've accumulated drawers full of tubes, adapters, and various other optomechanical components. Finding what I need has been a major headache. I often buy stuff just to realise that I already own a copy (or two... or three), it was just sitting somewhere in the drawers.

Today, I picked up a batch of these dividers at Daiso. Daiso is a Japanese two-dollar-eight store. They sell lots of stuff, some are pretty good quality. These dividers were $2.80 each, in a package of 3.

They can be snapped easily to get different lengths and fits really nicely into my drawers! A lot neater after organisation.

These can be bought for very cheap prices from China: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

Worked out pretty well, I'm going to buy some more.
Last edited by Macro_Cosmos on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I just need several more chests of drawers... And then to stop losing them.

If one has access to a laser cutter, such as via a Hackspace. Makerspace, etc, those dividers and many other thin things are easy to produce in numbers.
Designs for comb-jointed drawers, slide storage and more are online.
Plywood, clear acrylic etc are suitable.
Chris R

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

before I was having everything in small boxes .. and making envelopes for each ring (it's quick and easy, not a big problem.. just had to cut a strip of paper. fold it and close the envelope with 2 paper labels)

ImageIMG_20190224_135018 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

or those drawers for small parts .. but those are expensive...

ImageIMG_20190224_135027 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

But then I found a dollar store in my town selling those wood boxes .. they are fairly inexpensive (5- to 8 euro each depending on the size and shape) .. the boxes are slim and stack nicely, and the glass allows me to see what's inside. The wood is very light and soft.. if I need a bigger division it is easy to to cut off one side with a knife. (like i did in the one on top for the cable trigger)
A bit of foam tape in the top seals it against dust.

ImageIMG_20190224_134835 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Everything under 70mm diameter fits in (the vast majority of rings and adapters). Even enlarging lenses fill nicely (blue box) .. before it was a mess of plastic domes and boxes...

ImageIMG_20190224_135125 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

A sheet of thin EVA costs less than one euro, and I cut those "cups" to flock the divisions. I use the different colours a a "colour code" (more than 20 available) for quick reference. In less tan an hour I have another box prepared...

ImageIMG_20190224_135236 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Fixed the 500 grammatical errors in the original post. I think I was drunk.

Yawns wrote: Everything under 70mm diameter fits in (the vast majority of rings and adapters). Even enlarging lenses fill nicely (blue box) .. before it was a mess of plastic domes and boxes...

ImageIMG_20190224_135125 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

A sheet of thin EVA costs less than one euro, and I cut those "cups" to flock the divisions. I use the different colours a a "colour code" (more than 20 available) for quick reference. In less tan an hour I have another box prepared...

ImageIMG_20190224_135236 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr
A very elaborate storage solution you have there! Even neater than mine, it's like an archive for various rings etc. I have these drawers for various screws and smaller bulk components too. I just need one of those wooden planks with nails set up to hold the tools I have. Keep on misplacing them.

I do have one suggestion though, objective lenses are best stored with the front facing down, rear facing up. Mitutoyo specifically indicates this on their storage bubble thingys. I would use a taller case to have them all face down rear up, with perhaps stickers on the bottom (which is now facing up) to indicate which objective lens it is. Silica gel is a nice touch, those are important!
ChrisR wrote:I just need several more chests of drawers... And then to stop losing them.

If one has access to a laser cutter, such as via a Hackspace. Makerspace, etc, those dividers and many other thin things are easy to produce in numbers.
Designs for comb-jointed drawers, slide storage and more are online.
Plywood, clear acrylic etc are suitable.
3D printing could be a good option too. The tech is really mature now, many techys now own 3D printers. Way easier to get something printed than to hunt one down.

bralex

Post by bralex »

The only minor bit I'd add here is that I've experienced some cheap plastic foams offgassing and leaving a residue (on tools, not optics). For a project like this I'd pay a bit more for certainty of what plastic I had.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic