Spherical Pano head/macro rail/lenticular head

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Spherical Pano head/macro rail/lenticular head

Post by elf »

Here's version 2 of my spherical pano head. Major changes from the original, http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3508, are:

1. Landscape or Portrait mode: The main reason for adding landscape mode is my Olympus e330 LiveView LCD is a lot easier to use in landscape mode. It also gives more flexibility in composing single images.

2. Horizontal and vertical linear slides: The horizontal and linear slides primary use is to correct the entrance pupil position when using my tilt/shift lens. It also makes the landscape mode possible.

3. Lead screw for adjusting depth: Lead screw is for greater accuracy when using the head as a macro rail.

4. Vertical rotation lock: The original was hard to keep adjusted for heavier lens.

p.s. The lenticular head is unintentional. It just means that you can take multiple images along a horizontal path and turn them into a 3D image. Stereographic images are a subset of lenticular images.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Superb! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Do you do the machining yourself, or contract it out?

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

Myself, that's why you can see all the machining marks :) I have a Harbor Freight mini-mill and min-lathe. The first pano head could be built without the mill and lathe, but I used both quite a bit on this one.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

There is no shame in machining marks! It's very nicely done. :D

My lathe and mill don't get nearly enough exercise. :(

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic