Flashpoint R2 PRO Mark II Transmitter & mid curtain

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TheDocAUS

Flashpoint R2 PRO Mark II Transmitter & mid curtain

Post by TheDocAUS »

Flashpoint has released the R2 PRO Mark II Transmitter, an upgraded version of the Godox R2 Pro. The enhanced model will only be sold by Flashpoint (an Adorama house brand).

The new trigger has new features, two of which interest me, the Hi Sync mode and the Sync Delay Setting. I think the two work together, but I am not 100% sure. No user guide is available yet, but there is a good overview at Flash Havoc (see below).

Hi Sync allows high shutter speeds by better controlling the flash output. The full power of the flash is available, unlike HSS, where the flash pulsates.

Hi Sync is useful to increase shutter speed, with no loss of flash power as experienced with HSS. That higher shutter speeds will help reduce movement.

Peter Lin has described his technique of using mid-curtain flash, using his new controller.

Now comes the dumb question: will the Hi Sync feature be able to be used in a similar fashion to create a mid curtain flash?

Flash Havoc overview: http://flashhavoc.com/flashpoint-r2-pro ... -released/

HSS & Hi Sync: https://www.elinchrom.com/learn/hss-hs.html

Peter Lin article: http://www.mjkzz.com/single-post/2018/0 ... ring-Modes

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Is'nt rear courtain just the same/better?

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Not all cameras can do flash on the rear curtain, so Peter's article states.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Many if not all cameras block the hot shoe flash trigger when in totally quite mode (no mechanical shutter, neither front nor rear). Here's a discussion on EFCS that might be of interest and why I developed the flash delay circuit.

Best,

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... light=efcs
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

I fire Godox wireless flashes with Sony E-mounts in EFSC on rear curtain. Didnt occured to me that this might be a problem. Tho im often very puzzled when flash refuse to fire, and i forgot to switch from electronic to EFSC (i usually shoot continous light).

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Don't have Sony but my understanding is that when in "Fully Electronic Shutter Mode", meaning that NO mechanical shutter is involved, thus absolutely no camera induced vibration before, during or after the exposure, and the hot shoe flash trigger is blocked. Others have confirmed this I recall.

This was the very reason why I developed the concept of using the stacking controller camera trigger to also trigger the flash/strobe. I couldn't use the Nikon D850 in this totally vibration free mode, thus the concept. The circuit is just a simple dual timer delay using NE555 timers, later Peter did it in firmware in his nice controller.

I know why the hot shoe is blocked and have confirmed this. During the sensor readout phase it is possible to corrupt (and possibly damage the sensor) with excessive high intensity light exposure since the electronic curtain is not totally opaque (like a mechanical curtain) and image bleed-thru can occur. I confirmed this "bleed-thru" with some tests awhile back showing "ghosts" in the images.

The real issue with all this is the camera blocks the hot shoe flash trigger to prevent any flash during sensor read out when the camera is in a mode that doesn't use the mechanical curtain to terminate the exposure. So this isn't directly related to just EFCS use but more so to ERCS (Electronic Rear Curtain Shutter).

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic