5x Magnification Ideas and Suggestions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

RobertOToole wrote: Thanks for the idea Macrero.

I was going to reply that I had given up on stacking combos, I tried maybe 6 pairs recently and all I found was sharp centers but all bad corners and lots of CAs.

But your message gave me an idea. I do have a 28/2 Xenon that beat the Componon 28s (3 types) and the 35/2.8 at 4x. That might work.

Which telephoto?

The Sigma 150 macro would give me a little over 5x.

Thanks.
I use it with enlarging/repro lenses, Rodagon 105 and 135 and Apo-Gerogon 150. Those work great as "relay" lenses in my experience.

I stop down the reversed lens, in my tests that works better than f/stop between the lenses, but it depends on the optics you use, so it is always good to try every possible configuration.

Test stack at 5X:

https://images2.imgbox.com/f3/fe/M0Qnxq2U_o.jpg

- Macrero
Last edited by Macrero on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

May need to close it down a half stop more.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Lou Jost wrote:May need to close it down a half stop more.
Yep, try stopping it down a tad more.
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Robert

I think the WeMacro Mitutoyo clones are made by Ningbo Haishu Honyu Opto-Electro Co., Ltd.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

10x Mitty pushed down to 5x or so. Mentioned because I've got a stack running with that combo right now (105mm Pentax tube lens).

dickb

Post by dickb »

Are the Xenon 28mm f/2.0 and the Xenoplan 28/2.0 comparable? I have a few Xenoplans 28, if you want to test one Robert I can try and arrange sending you one.

Other options may be classic lenses such as the Macro Nikkor 19mm, Luminar 25mm and the Olympus 20mm macro lenses, the JML 21/3.5. A modern design like the Apo Xenoplan 20mm f/2.0 and MeVis-C 25mm may be interesting as well.

I have a few of these lenses and a wafer - now all I need is some time and discipline to conduct proper tests like yours..

dmillard

Re: 5x Magnification Ideas and Suggestions

Post by dmillard »

RobertOToole wrote:Any ideas or suggestions for a 5x test?
Possibly a Nikon CFI Plan Apo 4/0.20 or an Olympus UPlanApo 4/0.16 pushed to approximately 5x with tube lenses of the appropriate focal lengths (250mm and 225mm, respectively).

typestar

Post by typestar »

RobertOToole wrote: I was going to reply that I had given up on stacking combos ...
Which telephoto? ... The Sigma 150 macro would give me a little over 5x.
Hi Robert, I believe you do not plan to use "relay"-lenses below 135mm - but -- IF a combo -- what about using the Nikon 100 mm Scanner Lens as a base? Are the 100 to 105 mm lenses as tube lenses so bad in result - in your experience?

edit: In addition to the Mitty 7,5x as you plan - it would be interesting (for many users here, I think) - to see a "pushed-down" 10 x Mity or a 10x Nikon LU-Plan to 5 x (despite their narrow circle)
Also the results of a Xenon 2/35 mm in a combo would be nice

Again: all the best for your upcoming exhausting 5x test!
Last edited by typestar on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

This 5x test is happening at a very interesting time. I expect the actual winner will be the Qioptiq Mag.x, an objective that until recently was not well publicized and is very difficult to obtain. If I am right, it will set the benchmark, against which the others will be measured. Another "new" development is the potential for stacked lenses to perform well, which was recently highlighted by Miljenko. So while past 5x tests might have been dominated by the Mitty 5x (or later by the 10x pushed to 5x), we now have a broader playing field with new techniques to work with. Will be very interesting to see how well some of these can do vs the Qioptiq juggernaut.

I for one am most interested in how the Mitty 7.5x does in this test. I understand it has broader coverage than the 5x and 10x, so has potential to fill FF at 5x with better performance than the 5x. Comparing 5x/10x with the 7.5x may compel me to buy a 7.5x, so I will be watching these develpments very closely.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I understand it has broader coverage
I happen to have one just arrived on my desk, alongside a Lomo 8x 0.2. Eyeballing through it I can easily see 15mm fov without the body being in the way for the 7.5x 0.21; for the Lomo it's barely 5mm. Promising!
Chris R

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

A quick test of the 7.5X with an Apo-Symmar 135mm f/5.6 shows that it easily covers the full frame of a Sony A7Rii at 4.91X. I think the darkened corners seen here may result from mechanical vignetting somewhere else in my system (the lens aperture, PB-6 bellows, or the Nikon-Sony adapter), rather than reflecting a limitation of the objective.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of Robert's tests, but agree with ray_parkhurst that the Qioptiq will probably be the winner.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yep, I too think the Qioptiq 5x will win. Unfortunately it is made of Unobtainium.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It is worth noting, in connection with David's comment, that the 7.5x with a 200mm tube lens would cover FF and give the the same FOV as Robert's 5x lenses on his APS sensor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic