Microscope eyepiece question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DavidG1980

Microscope eyepiece question

Post by DavidG1980 »

I picked up a cheap microscope, just so i can use the boom stand,
the stereo microscope was a nice bonus and i didn't expect anything,
it's a Nikon SMZ 2 and it seems to produce nice sharp clear images,
one issue i have with it and i am not sure how to resolve is the left eyepiece coming off and sliding down while the right one if firmly fixed.
I attached pictures, any idea how to tighten it ? tried the screws to no avail.
Thank you 8) Image

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Do you really need to tighten it?
Most high quality microscopes have the eyepieces just mounted by gravity, I only have seen locking screws in school grade instruments (good to prevent misuse), in operating microscopes and to fix the focusing eyepiece position when the focusing mechanism is bundled in the eyepiece itself.
Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

You can shim it with transparent tape; each layer adds about 0.03mm in thickness.

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Pau wrote:Do you really need to tighten it?
Most high quality microscopes have the eyepieces just mounted by gravity, I only have seen locking screws in school grade instruments (good to prevent misuse), in operating microscopes and to fix the focusing eyepiece position when the focusing mechanism is bundled in the eyepiece itself.
It doesn't look like it needs to be locked, but if i let it set by gravity it sits lower than the right eyepiece, which seems to be stuck/tighten. It could just be that the right one if held by dirt or just got stuck over the years, it does look to be in a good shape so i just wondered.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

David, the right position of the eyepieces is the one where the image doesn't change focus while changing magnification (with zoom or turret of lenses, I don't know your model details)
If your right eyepiece doesn't sits at the tube by its shoulder like the left one it will will be the wrongly positioned one.
Pau

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

David

It appears that the right eye tube is fixed but the left one can be adjusted.

Turn the left one until the "0" lines up with a mark, and both eyepieces will probably be the same height.

Alan Wood

AlxndrBrg

Post by AlxndrBrg »

yes, the ribbed "screw" on the left ocular is the diopter, as long as the oculars are level with each other (horizontally) you'll be fine

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Alan Wood wrote:David

It appears that the right eye tube is fixed but the left one can be adjusted.

Turn the left one until the "0" lines up with a mark, and both eyepieces will probably be the same height.

Alan Wood
Thanks Alan,
This is how it looks when i let it set, the left is sinking in and the right is fixed, i wonder if i am missing a part in there :roll: ?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

As I suspected the right eyepiece is far out its place, almost out of the tube, the right one fits well.

If you want to confirm it (I'm sure) just do the parfocality test I formerly suggested: first put the eyepiece focusing rings at zero position and looking through one eyepiece each test. The left one will be parfocal or close while the left one will lose the focus a lot while changing magnification

I would just try to remove the right one by brute force rotating it a bit while holding its focusing ring. Likely it could have a dent or some material preventing it sliding to its place.
Pau

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Pau wrote:David, the right position of the eyepieces is the one where the image doesn't change focus while changing magnification (with zoom or turret of lenses, I don't know your model details)
If your right eyepiece doesn't sits at the tube by its shoulder like the left one it will will be the wrongly positioned one.
Thank you Pau,
Right now they are not at the same height, so i wonder if i am missing a part from the left one or the right one is just stuck and i need to apply some force to disconnect it :oops:

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Pau wrote:As I suspected the right eyepiece is far out its place, almost out of the tube, the right one fits well.

If you want to confirm it (I'm sure) just do the parfocality test I formerly suggested: first put the eyepiece focusing rings at zero position and looking through one eyepiece each test. The left one will be parfocal or close while the left one will lose the focus a lot while changing magnification

I would just try to remove the right one by brute force rotating it a bit while holding its focusing ring. Likely it could have a dent or some material preventing it sliding to its place.
I wrote my previous response before reading this :)
Ok, i will try to disassemble the tall one, i hope it's not dented

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Pau wrote:As I suspected the right eyepiece is far out its place, almost out of the tube, the right one fits well.

I applied some force and managed to get it out, now both sink in and it looks great ! Thanks! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic