Zeiss Montagesatz T

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DABOSSUK

Zeiss Montagesatz T

Post by DABOSSUK »

Hi ( first post )

I'm the happy owner of my first ever microscope and trying to find out as much information as possible about the unit , have searched here and around the net and can only find limited info , so hoping to get some help here.

The scope is a Montagesatz T ( 467065-9905 ) , from poking around on net i assume this is a standard 14? , it has a 5 slot head and binoculars , it's painted grey and in lovely as new condition , everything seems to work from my limited experience.

Can anyone give me know information on the Montagesatz T please? .

Thanks
D

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi DABOSSUK, welcome aboard!

It's a Zeiss Standard 16 (5 place turret not removable...) with bulit in 10W halogen illuminator, or an equivalent newer model.
Montagesatz is only a brand of a distributor or tech service.

You can find lots of info about Standards at http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/
and of course you can ask here for any more specific info, we are some members owning this kind of microscopes at the forum
Pau

DABOSSUK

Post by DABOSSUK »

Hi Pau ,

Thanks for this information , i guess the 16 is better than the 14 version? , mine has standard brightfield so i'd be looking to add dark/phase etc and would also like to fit a Tri-head for photography .

Link looks great and i'll have a wade though all that thanks.

Out of interest , what would be a good price for a Standard 16 unit? with 3 obj ( 10/40/100) and BF all in nice condition .

Andy

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Std 14 and 16 are very close: 14 has four objective turret and a smaller stage, so yes, 16 is somewhat better

No idea about the right price....at the used market it is so variable (both price, bundled options and condition...), take a look at ebay marking sold listings, around few hundreds $ I guess.

For phase there is plenty of turret phase condensers and objectives, I would recommend you the Neofluars 16/0.40 Ph2, 40/0.70 Ph2 and maybe 100/1.3 Ph3 oil. Some Phase condensers have a D position for darkfield at moderate magnification. There are also very nice dedicated dark field condensers like the 0.6/0.8 dry and the 1.2/1.4 oil "ultracondenser"

The main beauty I see in these instruments is the compatibility with a very wide range of parts between them and in many cases also with the larger stands WL, Universal, Photomicroscopes and Ultraphot, made during decades.
Pau

DABOSSUK

Post by DABOSSUK »

Thanks for the info , most helpful and a LOT to learn . I guess first stage would be to look into DF and then other techniques from there. What parts ( condenser ) should i be looking at for a good DF setup with the scope?. The phase contrast with D setting sounds interesting also , having ZERO clue what i'm doing it's tricky to know what parts i need.

Anyway , first little Afocal test ( after reading some stuff on here ) using a Canon IXUS 100IS looking into the eyepiece and using the basic objective x10 9904 ( looks old ) .

Thanks

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Very nice quality for a first picture
Pau

DABOSSUK

Post by DABOSSUK »

Cheers , frustrated with the lack of sharpness with images v's what i can see though my eyes , but i've read on here regards the issues with Afocal and getting the lens close etc , something to work on. But overall very happy as only had the thing a week :lol:

Post process ( more fun ) -

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Pau wrote:Very nice quality for a first picture
I agree. Well done!

DABOSSUK

Post by DABOSSUK »

Out of interest , what are the best objectives for BF work ?

DABOSSUK

Post by DABOSSUK »

So after more deep reading and finding a nice Phase condenser i've had a bit of a play with DF , off the scale frustration at first but after reading loads on here and some luck i took these first shots , effect i was after so v happy , starting to really enjoy this new hobby! , thanks for above info.

Regular phase contrast condenser with front lens 1.4 and using x10 NA .22 (chromatic?) slot 3 on condenser

RainerB

"Montagesatz T" is just the power supply assembly

Post by RainerB »

Hi!

Please note that "Montagesatz T" and "46 70 65-9905" are not the model name and model number of the microscope, they are the name and model number of the particular power supply unit. "Montagesatz" means "assembly" and the "T" probably stands for "transformer".

You already found the model name to be "Standard 16". The model number of the microscope base might be found on a plaque on the inside of the front of the base. At least that's where the plaque is on mine.

I mention this here in the hope that clearing up this confusion reduces the number of supposed "Montagesatz T microscope" offers on "Electric Cove". (fat chance :-)

I like this power supply because it has a detachable cable and is made from discrete components. This makes it repairable if need be, because suitably skilled persons can diagnose failed components and replace them. "Suitably skilled" means "trained to work with parts that carry mains voltage".

Strangely, the lamp voltage has a surprisingly large share of "high frequency", up to 300 000 Hz, even though the power supply just drives a halogen bulb (as opposed to an LED, the drivers for which often use high frequency). I would be interested in talking about how and why the brightness control electronics does that, but only if anyone else is interested, and in a new thread.
Regards, Rainer

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome Rainer!
I guess that's a switching regulator, 300kHz is one of the standard frequencies.
There are folk on this forum interested in almost everything ; I'm sure your insight on how this 'scope power supply works would be well received :)
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic