Nikon D850 Specs are Official

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

billjanes1

Post by billjanes1 »

mawyatt wrote:
billjanes1 wrote:
mawyatt wrote:
billjanes1 wrote: Bill,

My note about manual exposure is that you don't need to read out the sensor to get the exposure, it's set manually. Thus you just use a long exposure and trigger the flash sometime during the long exposure, the key here is to let the flash be pretty much the only light that exposes the image.

As mentioned by Rik, long shutter period and rear curtain synch solves this with conventional mechanical shutters. This is usually what I use with the D800, but this "long" is a couple seconds to allow things to settle in the camera. Hopefully with the D850 it can be pretty quick, even if 1/30 second or longer, it should be much quicker than using the mechanical front curtain...so no need for 1 to 2 second exposures.

I'm optimistic and soon we shall have these answers. Certainly interesting times!!

Best,

Mike
Mike,

That makes sense and I think you are probably correct. Under the conditions we are considering it is not necessary to synch at high speed. I didn't consider that at first. It is always a learning process and these discussions help. I hope we will get our cameras soon and we can compare notes then.

I don't think wedding photographers who need faster synch with flash will be that pleased with silent mode.

Regards,

Bill

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Thanks for the links Bill, poking around Jim's site, I found a post on the Sony A9.

In Jim's test, the electronic shutter in that cam takes 1/150th of a sec scan time.

That places it close the the slowest mechanical Sony shutters!

Lets hope the D850 silent shutter scan time will be somewhere close to the A9.

Robert

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Bill, Robert,

What amazes me, being an engineer/scientist, so from that perspective, is the incredible cleverness of the SLR concept in general. The whole moving mirror & curtain shutter is just a work of art IMO. And the HSS is another extension of such.

And this is from so long ago, they had no electronics to help, so even more credits to those originally involved.

Another prime example of what I refer to as "Engineering Art", the Picasso's and Rembrandt's of science!

Here's a reverse wagner, whoever receives their D850 first must buy the other two a beer :D

I'm in :roll:

Best,

Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:Bill, Robert,

What amazes me, being an engineer/scientist, so from that perspective, is the incredible cleverness of the SLR concept in general. The whole moving mirror & curtain shutter is just a work of art IMO. And the HSS is another extension of such.

And this is from so long ago, they had no electronics to help, so even more credits to those originally involved.

Another prime example of what I refer to as "Engineering Art", the Picasso's and Rembrandt's of science!

Here's a reverse wagner, whoever receives their D850 first must buy the other two a beer :D

I'm in :roll:

Best,

Mike
Sure I'm in :D

Robert

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If they hadn't come first with film, would we now be making cameras with flipping mirrors at all? (Rather like alcohol, tobacco, houses piped with combustible gas...)

I explained the marvellousness of mirrors in SLRs to a teenager, who looked puzzled.
He examined his iPhone's camera.

He examined my D700.
"Where's its phone?"
Chris R

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

FYI

The first shipment of D850s has arrived in the US.

The second shipment is due next week by the end of the week and I told it will be a much bigger shipment. I am told I will receive a camera from that shipment.

Be sure to post and let us know if you receive your D850.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic