What does this focus block do

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

What does this focus block do

Post by zzffnn »

Please kindly advise me as to what this focus block do.

I just bought this one, but not sure how to use it (like where to mount a specimen - is it missing a part)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262639503159?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thank you very much!
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

genera

Post by genera »

You probably have to find a way to clamp your specimen holder to the chromed rod shown running horizontally between the legs of the base in the first photo.
-Gene

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes, it looks like someone has adapted some parts to make a "micro manipulator". Some of those had rods as intermediate fittings.
Chris R

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Ah, it does look like a micro manipulator. Thank you very much, gents.

I noticed the plane where those two big chrome knobs reside can go either vertically (1st photo) or horizontally (2nd photo).

Does that L shaped chrome screw (1st and last photo) lock the plane into position?

Are vertical and horizontal positions the only two possible positions (can the plane stop in between)?

Sorry for asking so many questions here. The seller gave me a good rating right after my purchase, but would not answer my questions about it (like does the L screw lock).

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Unfortunately, the fine focus would not hold and one horizontal movement cannot be freed up, although I repaired the coarse focus and the other horizontal movement. Would have to return this :-( I have seen another one locally, from a junk dealer, that has frozen movements.

Yes, the L screw can lock the two horizontal movements in any angle between 0-90 degrees, which could be very useful.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Frozen movements can often be freed by first applying penetrating oil (I prefer the teflon formulations to WD 40, like TriFlow or similar products) and then clamping one side in a vise with wooden or soft plastic jaws and then tapping the stuck movement with a hammer through a hardwood dowel rod that won't mark the metal though it may bother the paintwork.

I have had this technique work many times. Especially on stuck Wild M5 movements where it won't even disturb the baked on or porcelainized paint.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

g4lab wrote:Frozen movements can often be freed by first applying penetrating oil (I prefer the teflon formulations to WD 40, like TriFlow or similar products) and then clamping one side in a vise with wooden or soft plastic jaws and then tapping the stuck movement with a hammer through a hardwood dowel rod that won't mark the metal though it may bother the paintwork.

I have had this technique work many times. Especially on stuck Wild M5 movements where it won't even disturb the baked on or porcelainized paint.
Thank you very much, g4lab.

I did try many rounds of WD40 (which was all I have). Did not hammer it. But the VERY tiny screws holding those horizontal movement knobs seem broken too (they do not holding). So the knobs slip very often. Edit: hammered it just now, did not work :-(

The big issue is that the fine focus is not holding. I found two tightness adjustment screws for the coarse focus and they work. There are two similar-looking screws on the fine focus too, but one of them got stuck solid and could not be unscrewed (it hurted my hand/tools). Tightening or loosing the other screw did nothing - fine focus will drop no matter what.

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Hi fan,

If you send it to me I will repair it for you.
A pixel is worth a thousand words but it takes a thousand words to explain a pixel.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Gary W Brown wrote:Hi fan,

If you send it to me I will repair it for you.
Thank you very much, Gary. I have decided to returned it for full refund, as seller offers that option. I don't really need that micro manipulator anyway. It is overall in a poor shape, probably not worth the time to repair it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic