Post height needed for vertical set up?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Davids

Post height needed for vertical set up?

Post by Davids »

Thorlabs sells a vertical translation stage that can hold a fair amount of weight: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... up_id=9434

But maxes out at 10 inches (VAP10 unit). If a stackshot was attached vertically would it give enough clearance over the subject? Or would it need to be extended with a rail attached to the VAP10 and then the stackshot on the rail?

David

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If you have some sort of tilting subject stage it'll take quite a lot of height.
Looks a bit short, especially at that price.

Chris R

Davids

Post by Davids »

Agreed. I'm having some issues finding the vertical stage/post that would work. I'm trying to make a system that is both horizontal and vertical. For vertical shooting an xy + rotation stage would be mounted to a right angle bracket on the post, thus giving xyz and rotation. Then, if I wanted to mount it vertically, the camera + stackshot could be mounted onto the post with the xy+rotation stage mounted directly onto the breadboard.
Any recommendations for a decently tall vertical stage/post?

Saul

Post by Saul »

David,

I'm pretty happy with the aluminum extrusion which I used for my setup:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=25321

You could use just vertical portion with angles on the base( or even without them). My rig is little bit overkill :)
Saul
μ-stuff

Davids

Post by Davids »

Great set up, Saul! Could you give a bit of detail on how you attach the bellows on to the extruded aluminum column?

Saul

Post by Saul »

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ ... s&_sacat=0

or similar 5/16 if you going to use same type of extrusion.

For slider now I would use ebay item 331491438018. In this case your camera (or bellows ) will be closer to the column (smaller shoulder). My design is little bit different, I had lot of leftover parts :)
Saul
μ-stuff

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:If you have some sort of tilting subject stage it'll take quite a lot of height.
Not necessarily. The subject positioning rig can be oriented horizontally, so that there's minimal space under the subject.

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 715#173715 for example.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

You might take a look at Velmex's example implementations of their products, and check out, in particular, their BiSlide offerings. These come in a variety of lengths and widths. I've purchased a Velmex BiSlide for my own combination vertical/horizontal setup, though I haven't gotten around to integrating it yet.

Velmex products are a joy to work with. I use a large Velmex UniSlide in my horizontal rig, and keep a few UniSlides and BiSlides on hand for ad hoc chores. A UniSlide can be used in a vertical orientation, but a BiSlide is more capable in this role.

BiSlides don't often come up on the second-hand market, and when they do, they fetch good prices. Currently on eBay, there is a job-lot of two nice-looking ones, with 30 inches of travel, for $1000 or best offer. That's a fair price, if you can find someone to split the lot with you. Ebay auction 331681797594.

If you haven't already purchased a StackShot rail, you could easily turn a BiSlide into a 30 inch, extremely robust version of the StackShot by driving it with a StackShot controller. If the stepping motor mounted on the eBay Bislide isn't compatible with the controller, Cognisys will sell you one for a modest price, or help you find an appropriate motor if they don't have what you need.

--Chris S.

Davids

Post by Davids »

Thanks for the tip Chris - I really like the BiSlide. I contacted Velmex to get a quote on manual BiSlides from 20-30inches. If I didn't already have a StackShot I would definitely get one with a motor.

Davids

Post by Davids »

An update to those looking for prices on Bislides - a manual 20" BiSlide is ~$1000. A bit too pricey for me, but still looks like a great tool.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

David,

This is why I mentioned that eBay listing for the pair of BiSlides. There is a chance that some other forum member would like a BiSlide and agree to split the cost with you. If so, I'd suggest making an offer on the pair.

--Chris

Saul

Post by Saul »

David,
What is the goal of your design ?
Saul
μ-stuff

Davids

Post by Davids »

Saul, I would like to have the system be easily converted from horizontal to vertical if need be.
So, I have a breadboard, StackShot, a rail for course x movement of the stackshot, then a set of stages for fine xy and rotation. I'd like a vertical column, something like the BiSlide, that would give precise z axis movement of the stage in horizontal mode. Then, if I want vertical, I simply attach the stackshot to the column, place the xy and rotation stages on the breadboard.

johan

Post by johan »

Davids wrote:Agreed. I'm having some issues finding the vertical stage/post that would work....Any recommendations for a decently tall vertical stage/post?
I have the same problem and I've been looking around at various alternatives. At the moment my favourite is buying a Wolfcraft Drill stand or a wabeco stand and adapting. Forum member Liuto has confirmed that the Wolfcraft is definitely strong enough. But again it's not especially tall, and the shape maybe awkward, so still looking.

Alu extrusion looks useful... still looking that up
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

My rig comprises two 0.5" thick aluminium breadboards - the base is 24x12" and the vertical 'post' is 24x6" held upright by two large 90 degree brackets, leaving the front two-thirds of the base as free-space for the stage etc. To go horizontal I just detach the 24x6", which has a Stackshot with camera on an arca-swiss rail, and lay it flat.

It's solid but, in vertical orientation and at high magnifications, the dangly bits (stackshot/camera) do tend to wobble if the house isn't totally still (eg windy day). For a vertical stage setup (of two linear stages, a rotating/z stage and two goniometers) and extension tubes I could possibly get away with a little less height but 24" is comfortable.

And Johan I looked at extrusion and it would work well imho, and only chose a breadboard as a 'post' as it's easier to attach rails, and tinker.
Geoff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic