New light source for Olympus BHC

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sharnbrook

New light source for Olympus BHC

Post by Sharnbrook »

I recently bought, for a very reasonable price, an Olympus BHC microscope, cosmetically in good condition, but the lamp has blown.

Purchasing a new lamp assembly works out at about A$65 if I order one, but around A$45 each if I purchase 3. This is mainly due to the post/freight charges.

However, I have seen a replacement dimmable LED light unit that will cost me about A$155, including postage. (See http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261716161498 )

Does anyone have any experience of these units, or would anyone have any practical comments to make? Obviously, the colour temperature would be vastly different, but as a great deal of lighting is done these days with LED units, I can't see that as being a negative. I hope to be using the BHC for photography, rather than just visual use. My usual set up includes Ikea's Jansjo lighting and/or flash, and very little if any tungsten lights.

All comments will be appreciated.
Regards,

Mike

Inseewincesee

Post by Inseewincesee »

For what it's worth, I intend to go down the same route with my recently acquired Olympus VANOX microscope.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=25293

Makes sense. even though I got around 4 extra Halogen bulbs and around 10 Tungsten bulbs with my purchase.

Seems easy enough to retrofit to a BHC/VANOX.

I know why you are asking, it's the whole CHINA made Quality control issue.

I think they would be a safe purchase to be honest, pretty hard to stuff up a LED lighting rig, as it's not that it needs a big & powerful power supply, which is where most Chinese electronic equipment tends to fail.

PS: I saw your request for a Trinocular head for your scope.
I have a Zeiss one spare that I thought might fit yours, but on further checking out I doubt it would work.
If I find one available I'll PM you.

Sharnbrook

Post by Sharnbrook »

Thanks Insee. I am also going to try soldering an led over the two filament terminals to see what I can achieve. The cost of trying is $4, and I wouldn't want to die wondering. If it works, I'll post some details, if it doesn't work, I might still let people know.

If you do find a trinocular head for the Olympus, I shall be delighted. Thanks for looking.
Regards,

Mike

Inseewincesee

Post by Inseewincesee »

Have you see Charles Krebs Blog on how to get this type of lighting working?
http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html

By the way.
Depending on what microscope objectives you have fitted, and what sensor size your camera is , will determine what PHOTO lens you NEED for photography.
It's not as easy as just putting one element [lens] onto another, and getting results.
Unfortunately it get's complicated.

Suggest inquiring about specific camera - sensor size use. with specific microscope objectives [Finite or Infinite ? ]

Expensive mistakes can be easily made if you don't do your homework.

Sharnbrook

Post by Sharnbrook »

Thanks for the added info. I have got quite a number of ordinary macro lenses, and bellows, extension tubes etc, and have played around a little bit with microscope lenses on the bellows. Had some fun, but have not really achieved a great deal.

When I replied to your first post, I hadn't at that time read the saga of the Vanox. What a find! Over the past year, I have been of 'no fixed abode', as we sold our house in Brisbane very quickly, and are only just about to move into the new house we have built in Toowoomba. Consequently, all my gear is still packed away in storage, and I'm anxiously waiting to get my hands on it. Mid Feb is my target date.

Thanks for your helpful comments.
Regards,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic