Filters for protection of lenses in the field?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

Filters for protection of lenses in the field?

Post by Planapo »

Finally, I took the plunge and helped myself to a modern close-up or 'macro' lens which I intend to use for field work. I settled for a "Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO MACRO EX DG OS". And now I'm pondering over permanently mounting a 72 mm filter for protection of the front lens element.

Do the ones of you who use their lenses in the field take this precaution? And can you recommend good quality filters for that job that don't (much) degrade the image? I've been thinking of circular pol, uv or skylight.

Thanks in advance for your help!
--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Filters will definitely degrade the image to some degree. Quality, expensive filters (>£100) less so. If it were me, I'd save the money and just be careful with the lens.

Edit: if you still really want the extra protection, I'd recommend UV as it lets the most light through.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Maybe a tip: use a hood.
With a working distance of 112mm you can use one without any problems.
This will not only protect your lens when falling or tilting from a tripod, but also does wonders on the contrast.
It saved my lens on one occasion. Now I don't leave home without one.
It better land on the easily replacable hood than on the frontlens.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

If you are careful and shooting in the open then a lens hood is all you need.
However, in woody or grasses areas where there is a chance or twigs or other vegetation touching the lens, and or dusty areas or seaside areas (salty air) then a lens hood plus a B&W UV filter is likely your best choice.
I have never noticed any image degradation using high quality Nikon or B&W filters.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks for your input boys, much appreciated!

So I will always be using the hood (that together with an APS-C hood adapter and a tripod collar came with the lens) and shop for a quality uv-filter for when it could get rough and splashy.

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Betty,

A B+W 'clear' filter may also serve your purposes. They have a filter factor of '0', are multi-coated (MC) and contain Schott glass.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Fortunately the Google search engine is smart. Type in "B&W filters" and it gives you B+W Filters which is exactly what I meant.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

marceppy

Post by marceppy »

Consider a circular polarizer filter, B+W are good, if you think the lighting is sufficient to compensate for the loss (~ 2 stops), or possibly adjust ISO to compensate. It can help with glare reduction. I think it helps with color saturation.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

On my lenses I use clear Tiffen's. I find that things such as lens hoods and large soft box diffusers scare timid creatures, lessening my chances of success in photographing them. :)

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks guys for your further input!

The clear B+W filters that Craig has pointed to are just made for the purpose of protection of the front lens element, as it reads on schneiderkreuznach.com/fotofilter (B+W belongs to Shnyder-Krautsnack).

Indeed Ken, the lens hood of this lens combined with its extension for APS-sensors is as long as the lens itself, so does make it look quite scary like a supertele and might raise suspicion amongst the neighbours when I sneak about with it in the garden. :)

--Betty

DQE

Post by DQE »

I have found this FAQ on filters for macro work to be informative:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... ostcount=1

I hope it's of use to you and of course others.

I buy the highest quality filters, paying special attention to the use of high-quality multi-coatings for flare reduction. I personally recommend using the best Hoya filters, but I'm sure others also have effective anti-flare multi-coating features.

I have to use a filter for my macro photography since I lose track of what's in front of the camera lens. As a result, I bang into damaging branches of bushes, etc too often. Apparently others don't have this limitation.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Phil, Thanks for the link, that's a very informative and helpful thread!

--Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic